This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prospective Traffic X buyer question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prospective Traffic X buyer question
    Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 1:04am

Hi all.  I am new to AI and have been looking at the main 3 payware AI addons.  What interests me with Traffic X is the military AI.   I have a couple short questions if anyone can help:

1) Would I be able to make inbound and outbound military AI flights from just about any airport?

For Instance could I make a military AI flight from KOSC(the old Wurtsmith AFB, MI) to land at KPAN airport in Alpena, MI?

2) Would I be able to make static(parked) military AI at airports?  Honestly I am most interested in having military AI flights from airports I desire.       THANKS
tucanto View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tucanto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 11:19am
Traffic X has a reasonable amount of AI and static  aircraft at military airfields in UK ,I do not know if there are many in other countries, I think you would need to go in to the technicalities of flight and scenery planning to add your own. I personally prefer the more simple way of downloading AI aircraft scenery FSX only ( I do not get in to conversions from FS9) from the freeware sites such as UKMil, Simviation, Flightsim, Avsim.  Justflight has a handy tool for checking if there are any fs9 traffic files in your FSX that will cancel out the FSX ones.  
quick View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2012 at 2:02pm
Thank you for the information tucanto.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2012 at 12:31am
As tucanto said, right-out-of-the-box, Traffic X has a reasonable amount of military AI aircraft at military airfields. I confirm that this is not just in the UK, but all over the world.  They are all set to fly to and from (military) airports based on set schedules and therefore are not "static" as tucanto said.

Originally posted by quick quick wrote:

1) Would I be able to make inbound and outbound military AI flights from just about any airport?  For Instance could I make a military AI flight from KOSC(the old Wurtsmith AFB, MI) to land at KPAN airport in Alpena, MI?

Yes.

Traffic X comes with the Traffic Control Centre program which allows you to add/edit/delete aircraft schedules for any and all aircraft, including the military ones.  You can use this program the set the schedules for your military aircraft to fly to and form any airport of your choosing, anywhere in the world.  Once you've made your edits, you recompile the AI traffic database (the program does this for you) and then simply run FSX to see the planes doing what you set them to do, flying to and from the airports that you chose.

Originally posted by quick quick wrote:

2) Would I be able to make static(parked) military AI at airports?

The AI planes fly according to the schedules that are set for them.  It is not possible (per se) to simply place a plane on the ground and have it stay there as a "static plane".  HOWEVER, you can kind of "cheat" a little by using the Traffic Control Centre program to edit and set the schedule for that plane so that it is set only to takeoff from that airport in the very dead of night (ie midnight).  You set a return schedule for it so that comes back to the airport about one hour later.  This way, it will sit at the airport, all day ... just like a static plane ... and will only leave in the middle of the night, before returning again one hour later ... and then sitting there again, all day, until the following midnight.  When you run FSX, in the middle of the DAY, the plane will be sitting there at the airport just like a static plane.  The only thing to be aware of is that you cannot specify which parking spot it sits at.  FSX will decide that based on the airport and the type of plane.  But, in my opinion, that is fine because it kind of provides that wanted "randomness" to your "static" planes.
flabbydice View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flabbydice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 12:05am
Hi,

I'm sorry to have to pour cold water over what people are saying to you regarding Traffic X, but I have had this program for over a year now and although I am tuning my system for FSX ( I'm almost there ) the one program that does not seem to want to play ball is

YES, you guessed it...

Traffic X..

Honestly. straight out the box I loaded it to the file as suggested
**but did change the path from C: to F: drive, as that's where my FSX lives on a seperate H/drive**

restarted my P.C and tried to run the program,(whilst FSX runing in background) you know the drill- right click on traffic X, run as adminstrator, (IF UR RUNNING WIN7)
click through to AIRPORT INFO.

OK

NO AIRPORT INFO...

So thats a dead end then, oh well.. I moved on through the main screen clicked on a few other tabs that did'nt really do too much for me, so continued on the main menu across to the to the FLIGHT PLANS tab.

Clicked on FLIGHT PLANS and Guess what...???

Nish/Na-da/nothing in the main screen... so like a fool I click on the top drop down menu and try to select an Airline from the list I get a Unhandled Message  saying words to the effect of " object reference not set to an instance of an object" and if I click on anything else this message wants to shut every thing (fsx/traffic x) down. (yep I know, frustrating), so all I can do is close the warning message.

I have followed the info on this very forum, downloading the service pack and "preset" zip files and tried every different permitation known to man, sent emails on here and got no reply (which I can understand, as people are busy but I have searched many of the threads and have not seen much success stories) but after saying all that, I had a go of the control tower look around and with a big cup of coffee followed the instructions and yes I used to marshall follow me car (which seem to break down middle of a taxi way at heathrow and would not go anywhere whilst screaming at full revs, and a Iberia jumbo jet coming my way) for 15 seconds, and then I decided to try and use spotty, well this one was the best... After spinning around like a  Dervish mad man on crack, he bolted, run through the whole airport out the other side and kept going, I SH*T you not, but its a good thing as I had to laugh and have finally give in after months of trying and retrying and retrying with this software and Am currently on the look out for SOMETHING OTHER THAN TRAFFIC X..

I know that is a bit of a rant, but I've invested a lot of money and time into this program and feel although a part of it is working in the background, I didnt buy half a program and although there are planes at gates and when at heathrow planes coming into land wherever airport I zoom to .. it still dont do what it says on the tin...AngryAngryAngry x infinite

faithfully yours

Col

P.s hope this helps

johnep View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 7:49am
Well, I admit that not yet got to grips with control tower, spotty, or the car but enjoy being able to fly any plane in the list. Enables me to mirror my families flights and send them pics of their flight. At moment flying an AA 777 to Dallas from LHR. Ok the plane image not very detailed but the 2d cockpit is fine and all works OK. Try flying some of the military planes yourself. Very simple to transfer an AI model to flyable.
johnep
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flabbydice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 10:40am
Hi Johnep,

Thanks for the reply, I will try your suggestion and give you some feedback..

My main gripe is that some parts work and others don't, it'll be kool if I could fix it but I can't & believe me I've tried.

Col
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flabbydice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2012 at 10:41am
Hey Johnep,

Do you get the unhandled exception messages when in the main menu of traffic x.....??

Col
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2012 at 12:27am
flabbydice,

There are a few threads in this forum about users who get the UNHANDLED EXCEPTION errors or have parts of Traffic X not working correctly.  Do a quick search for "Unhandled Exception" to find those posts.

Specifically, there is an issue where the install program, for whatever reason, may sometimes miss putting all of the files and folders on to your computer.  When this occurs, you will get the kinds of issues that you are describing.

Just Flight issued a FIX for this ... which you can download ...

1) Go to the Just Flight Traffic X Support page (link: http://www.justflight.com/supportfaq/traffic-x)

2) View the topic titled "I get an error when loading the Traffic Control Centre / parts of the Traffic Control Centre do not function" (link: http://www.justflight.com/supportfaq/traffic-x#FAQ3).

3) Follow the instructions and download the fix file.  Install that and see if it corrects your problems.  Hopefully it will and you will then be able to enjoy Traffic X in all of its glory.

Also, after you have done this, it would be a good idea to make sure you have the "Traffic X Service Pack 1" installed as well.  Do that AFTER doing the above fix.  If you are not sure if you already have that or not, then it will NOT hurt anything to install it again, over the top of your existing installation, just to be sure.  You can find and download the Service Pack on that same Traffic X Support page.
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flabbydice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 11:02am
Hi Freddy,

I have tried those fies and it still did'nt work, they say third time lucky so I'll give it a try one more time, and give feedback.

Cheers for reply

Clap
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2012 at 11:55pm
Interesting that those files didn't work for you ...  Here's hoping the "second attempt" (well, third as you say) provides better, and working, results.  Smile

If not, then a suggestion might be to do a re-install of the Traffic X software using the RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR command (I assume you are using Windows 7 [or even Vista] when I say this).  To do that, right-click on the install program and choose the option from the menu which appears.

Let's hope you do get things up and working.  Traffic X is definately a great enhancement to Flight Simulator and it is a real pity that you are (currently) missing out on all that it has to offer.
quick View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 4:06am
Thank you people for the valuable information. Its really been helpful to me and I appreciate it. I purchase Traffic_X and plan on installing it in a couple of days. Want to get the SP1 and other files that I might need.

.....Quick
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flabbydice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 11:10am
Hey Freddy,

I have tried everything and still no joy. I do have win 7, installed Traffic X as stated, ran as admin and still have issues with this and only this program, apart from getting a c++ error when booted up and 2nd user (fsx), I'm gonna try and go thru all my drivers and see if any updates are required..

Hopefully I can solve this

Cheers

Col
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flabbydice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2012 at 11:15am
Sorry for the typo, but I did mean to say I get the c++ error message when booting up as 2nd user (created for fsx)
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2012 at 1:56am
flabbydice,

I will assume your 2nd User in Windows is, of course, set up as an Administrator.  If a reinstall didn't work, using the Run as Administrator option, and also using the files etc from the Just Flight Traffic X Support page and FAQ, then I am afraid I personally have no other suggestions.

If you haven't already, you should submit a Support Request to the Just Flight support team.  Here is the link: http://www.justflight.com/support-contact

As I wrote earlier ... Traffic X is definately a great enhancement to Flight Simulator and it is a real pity that you are (currently) missing out on all that it has to offer.

Fingers crossed for you that you figure it out or that Just Flight can give you the help you need to get it up and running.

johnep View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2012 at 10:02am
I consider Traffic X the next best addon after Rex2.

Just missed my first near pass by yesterday. Should have used the replay and taken a pic, but forgot in all the excitement.
johnep
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flabbydice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2012 at 4:04am
Thanks for the reply guys, I've looked all over the usual forums and I'm yet to try the link to just flight direct support and all this talk is making me all the more determined to get TrafficX running right, cheers for the link Freddy.

Plus I've been trying to tune my system before going back to the TrafficX Headache

Two questions for you Johnep, and I apologise if this is not in the right dialog area, but what's a near pass regarding rex2......I'm thinking of getting active sky 2012 to make nice sky as I already have UTX & GEX Europe. What do you think would be best, bearing in mind I'm mostly trying to start off with the basics and learning to fly VFR firstly before moving up to the big iron...??

Flabby d
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2012 at 3:21am
I think he's talking about a near pass by another airliner (AI) ...
Darren View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2013 at 3:59pm
Hi Quick dont be sorry about the rant I had the same problem as you and I think most people that hae brough Traffic X has had the same problem to, I got my Cousins Son to help me and I couldnt belive how good he was to fix the problem knew his way around the computer, If you know a computer wiz get them to help you took all of five minutes and he fixed up the parking of the aircraft for me to, no more A380s parking at domestic gates. Once the unbridled problem has been fixed its a lot of fun making your flight plans you will love it. Good luck hope it works out for you.
Darren.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic