This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Adding new airports

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stewartkingswood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Adding new airports
    Posted: 06 Apr 2008 at 7:58pm
Hi,

Just trying to add a new airport to use for AI purposes. I have added the airport into FSX and am able to see it in the UK airports list but  Traffic 2005 does not show it and will not allow me to create it. What am I doing wrong? can anyone talk me through the process to add this new airfield? 

Thanks
Stewart
nickb84 View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickb84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2008 at 10:42am

Not sure about adding airports in Traffic but to add an airport in FS all you need is the airport scenery and an AFCAD then thats it!

Nick B

Long Term FS9 Airbus Pilot

EGLL - LHR, London Heathrow
stewartkingswood View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stewartkingswood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2008 at 3:05pm
Nick,
Thanks for the reply, the problem is not with FSX I have the scenery and the afcad file for the new airfield and am able to fly from it. I now want to add some AI flights, in FS9 all you needed to do was add the new airfield to the Airports txt file, but this does not appear to work with FSX. Similar with Traffic you could add new airfields with the Traffic editor, but again this does not appear to work.
Regards
Stewart
nickb84 View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickb84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2008 at 4:49pm

Strange! I have always been relyably informed that the AI traffic process is more or less the same in FS9 and FSX?

Do you seem to have an error or problem or is it that you just can tget aircraft top show up? Are you adding this Ai manually yourself or via a traffic program?
Nick B

Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stewartkingswood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2008 at 4:04pm
Thanks Nick,

I have now sorted the issue. I looked back to my FS9 traffic files for my original traffic files and although the airport had been created using Airport Designer (from Scruffy Duck ) the coordinates were different. Ammended these and created the BLG file using AIFPC.

Still can't use traffic 2005 though, not sure it was good value for money.

Thanks Again
Stewart
reider View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2008 at 10:54pm
Traffic (FSX compatible version) works ok here, perfectly.  If you compile from all files it puts it back to how it was so I do it manually.  For good conversions with no problems in TT I keep the traffic.bgl as an FS9 type whilst I add airports/traffic.  Then I compile the three files back to an FS9 traffic.bgl whilst retaining copies of before and after.  When a little while has passed I then replace the previous copy.

Once I have produced the FS9 type traffic.bgl I then run it through  bglfpfsxconvert to convert manually to an FSX style traffic.bgl  This then allows all ships and effects to work.  I do not use the later patched version of Traffic with the included FSX type traffic.bgl as this is difficult to decompile without going all around the houses.

When I next make changes I dump the current FSX style traffic.bgl, make changes to the archived FS9 version and convert to FSX style, keeping a copy of the changed FS9 style one.  These very loose and rough notes in this message should describe the method for both FS9 and FSX users.  The key is to use a separate folder on the desktop with the FS9 type traffic.bgl, make the changes and recompile.  This using a copy of TT in the same folder with the source and destination pointing to this folder in TT.  If using FS9 replace the current FS9 type traffic.bgl with this newly produced one.  If using FSX you can still use this one but WILL NOT see ships and ferries.  If you convert as above this too will work AND you will see ships and ferries.

(1) Folder on desktop, make a compiled sub folder in it
(2) Place TT and FS9 type traffic.bgl in there
(3) In TT change source to this folder and destination to the compiled sub folder
(4) Use TT to decompile FS9 type traffic.bgl
(5) Adjust the decompiled three files to suit new airports/aircraft/flightplans
(6) Use TT to compile to the compiled sub folder

If using FS9:
(7) Open the compiled sub folder and use the traffic.bgl to replace the one in FS2004 (make sure you have a copy of the one you`re replacing....)

If using FSX:
(7) Run the FS9 type traffic.bgl in the compiled sub folder through bglfpfsxconvert to change it to an FSX type file.  Then replace the file in FSX after making a copy.

NOTE:  I call the folder on the desktop Traffic Adjustments and move it back to my docs for safekeeping, then trot it out to the desktop again as and when I need it.  It has TT and all the other component parts in there ready for me each time I start.....

Reider
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stewartkingswood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 2:28pm
Reider,
Thanks for the very detailed reply, this was pretty much as I have done, however as I said in my previous messages was that if you use the "Traffic 2005 Editor" it will not allow you to add new airports not originally known to it. This makes it very difficult if not impossible for people who are not conversant with methods such as these to add new airports and who previously used Traffic 2005 as an easy method to add the new airports.
Stewart
nickb84 View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nickb84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2008 at 3:03pm

Adding an airport to FS is the easy part, but it would seem from what you are saying that the difficulty is when you try and make Traffic 2005 recognise the new airport for traffic purposes (if I understand you correctly). In which case the best and possibily the only thing that I could suggest is to manually add some AI traffic to the new airport and dont get Traffic involved with the new airport.

Nick B

reider View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2008 at 11:45pm
I`ve added a few new airports in Traffic 2005 and got traffic flying in/out with full ATC compliance.  Skegness (EGNI-Ingoldmels-Billy Butlin Aerodrome), Scarborough (Eddsfield), Stretton (HMS Blackcap) to name a few.....  I edited the airport data file and added the long/lat, adjusted the flightplans with additional traffic, recompiled, converted the resultant compiled FS9 traffic.bgl to an FSX type and placed in the World Scenery folder.  No problems whatsoever!

I took the standard EGCB Manchester Barton Aerodrome to task and adjusted the runways and parking to real life.  Took out the false runway27 and made it a taxiway as in real life.  Changed the incorrect runway FSX calls 27R to 27L and made sure the real 27R worked correctly.  The same thing at runways 09, 09L and 09R all based on real life experience and an aerial photograph I have showing the true runways.  The problem being what appears to be three grass runways running in parallel but is actually two, one of which is rarely used.  The middle one is actually runway 27L, where FSX incorrectly uses the left one.  Then I stopped all traffic incorrectly taking off from either the midway or the end of runways 02/20 and forced FSX to use 27L and 09R as in real life.  Throughout all of this ATC has (maybe with a little force due to initially having three runway 09`s) maintained correct call outs and selections.  So yes I guess it is all possible.........!

Reider
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stewartkingswood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2008 at 3:55pm
Thanks for the reply hadnt thought of amending traffic's txt files had only thought of the FSX txt files will give it a go.

On a different note you must be from my part of the world as I live just north of the Humber in Hull and the airfield I was having difficulties with is leconfield, drop me a PM if you would like a copy once I have it totally completed.

Thanks
Stewart
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic