This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Exam Results

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exam Results
    Posted: 25 Aug 2012 at 2:36pm
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/heads-threaten-legal-action-over-gcse-grades-115452772.html

This just exemplifies what is wrong with the education system; that being that students are merely working for a grade, instead of achieving the best that they can.

Why are those students only aiming for a C? NAHT general secretary Russell Hobby is making it look very much that had they known the grade boundaries were to be 10 points higher that they would have worked for 10 points more with all their students, instead of working as much as possible to get the highest grades, regardless of any boundaries.

It would seem to me that those students are only worth a D, for failing to attempt to get higher than this at any cost.

There will always be students on the boundary and that is an unfortunate reality, but the noise this guy is making appears that most are only attempting to attain C grades in the first place.

There should be one or two major exams at the end of the year for all courses. If they have to be 3 hours long then so be it! As it is, Mathematics has been reduced to 2 x 1 hour papers. If you have seen recent GCSE papers you will know they are nothing to what they should be. I went through two higher Mathematics papers from 2009 in 5 minutes and 7 minutes respectively, and attained an A* (>87%) in both. The difficulty of the questions was a farce. Some of the questions had suspect relevance to Mathematics at all. I wasn't the only one screaming through them either, and mathematics is by far my weakest subject.

At present, we are doomed.

If the grade boundaries were:

A* 95%
A = 90%
B = 80%
C = 70%
D = 60%
E = 50%
F >= 40%
U < 40%

Then it would have more credibility along with much tougher questions and longer papers that really challenge. A* for >87% with easy questions? That is only a D IMHO.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic