Just Flight Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > MS Flight
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Microsoft cancel Flight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dibble Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Microsoft cancel Flight
    Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 10:07pm

Just found this

http://www.neogamr.net/news/microsoft-flight-cancelled-staff-laid-off

also

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/7/25/3187649/microsoft-vancouver-lays-off-staff-cancels-projects

Microsoft has decided that its recently released flight simulator-style game, Microsoft Flight, is no more as they officially cancelled any further development on the title. They also decided to layoff and potentially reassign a portion of the staff at their Vancouver office of Microsoft Studios, totaling 35 people that worked on the Microsoft Flight as well as another cancelled project called Project Columbia for Kinect.

Microsoft released this statement about the cancellations and lay-offs.

Microsoft Studios has decided to end development on Microsoft Flight and Project Columbia. As a result of this action, some positions within the development teams have been eliminated. Microsoft human resources is working with the affected individuals to find new roles within the company.

Microsoft Studios is always evaluating its portfolio of products to determine what is best for gamers, families and the company, and this decision was the result of the natural ebb and flow of our portfolio management. Many factors were considered in the difficult decision to stop development on Microsoft Flight and Project Columbia, but we feel it will help us better align with our long-term goals and development plans. For Microsoft Flight,we will continue to support the community that has embraced the title and the game will still be available to download for free at http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/.

Microsoft Studios is invested in British Columbia and still has several teams, both in Vancouver and Victoria, which will continue to produce the best entertainment and gaming experiences possible.

It's always sad to see layoffs in the gaming industry, however we're not surprised the relatively poor, free sequel to Flight Simulator X was cancelled. As Microsoft stated, Microsoft Flight will still be available for free for those interested.
hifly View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hifly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 10:49pm
MS Flight never appealed to me from the beginning. I like to fly when, where and in whatever plane I feel like and I'm sure a lot of other simmers feel the same. Perhaps Microsoft should have researched the FS market and asked us simmers what we would like, an upgrade on FSX might have been less risky. I couldn't imagine it would capture a market for new or existing simmers.
It's a shame that the time and talent was wasted and I sympathise with the people being laid off.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic