This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DC-6B - Legends of Flight
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fuel tank selection

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
f16jockey View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f16jockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fuel tank selection
    Posted: 23 Mar 2018 at 1:15pm
- UPDATE - 
X-feed all engines implemented as well

Weird Emergency - Almost all tanks empty - All engines using Main Tank 3

Wim
f16jockey View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote f16jockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2018 at 9:45pm
Being disappointed with the fuel management system, as many others, I made my own fuel gauge for the JF DC-6B. 
It's based on the RW DC-6, with 4 fuel levers with 3 positions (MAIN-ALT-OFF) and 2 X-feed levers with 3 postions (OFF-Per side XFEED-All engines XFEED). As one may notice, this is FAR AWAY from the joke Aeroplane Heaven made of it.
The gauge is partly finished, with the "All Engines X-Feed" yet to develop (as well as writing some kind of manual). The 1&2 - 3&4 X-feed (which is in the gauge) is really sufficient for Normal Operations, the "All Engines X-feed" only kicks in when the aircraft gets out of balance due to engine loss(es).

Meanwhile, I'm looking for some testers. Please PM me if you're interested.

While I was at it, I also added Fuel Qty Gauges with the correct numbers.
Funny nobody mentioned this flaw.

Some pics:

Normal Ops - All Main Tanks to Engine

Normal Ops - All Alt Tanks to Engine

X-Feed - Main Tank 2 to Eng 1&2 - Main Tank 3 to Eng 3&4

Wim
skybike View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skybike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 12:43am
If anybody flying FSX JustFlight DC-6B is interested in fiddling with fuel tank selectors in flight do note that they AFAIK essentially do not work as advertised. Even more, the tooltips on the levers sometimes do not show the selected tanks correctly. To be absolutely on the safe side you can monitor with FSUIPC the following offsets for the corresponding engines (all in S8 format):

1=3880
2=37C0
3=3700
4=3640

The values should be interpreted as:

0=None,
1=All,
2=Left,
3=Right,
4=LeftAux,
5=RightAux,
6=Centre,
7=Centre2,
8=Centre3,
9=External1,
10=External2,
11=Right Tip,
12=Left Tip,
13=Crossfeed,
14=Crossfeed LtoR,
15=Crossfeed RtoL,
16=Crossfeed both,
17=External,
18=Isolate,
19=Left Main,
20=Right Main

SSI01 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SSI01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 5:30pm
You folks can add me to the legion of those who have experienced disappointment with the fuel tank selection levers, an annoyance on an otherwise wonderful product.  I messaged JF with this problem last night and got a reply back saying in their opinion the right-hand levers may have two "2nd Center" positions but the second position is actually for the right main tank.  In other words, ignore what the tool tip says.  Not too satisfactory.  This has been an issue for some time now, I would have thought a fix would have come out.  As it stands, I will try the "just leave the tank levers alone" solution.  I would like to see Barth's add-on tank selection pop-up put out as a download but saw nothing more about it since early last year.  Has anyone seen anything re: this gauge?
glennyvr View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glennyvr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2015 at 5:39am
Hey Barth.. Did you ever release the 'tank selector' gauge you talked about in your post?
Barth View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2015 at 9:09pm
Hello!
I have lost some of my hairs today... By making a Tank selector Gauge for the DC-6.
I will release it with a repaint I am doing at the moment....

The gauge I made includes all 8 Tanks (L.Tip-L.Aux-L.Main-Center||Center2-R.Main-R.Aux.-R.Tip) and is fully functionnal. It lacks of a (1 & two) Cross feed lever though, probably later... ;)

Barth

Top_Gunn View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Top_Gunn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2014 at 9:47pm
I'm having a slightly different problem with these levers. The tooltips give me different readings for different engines, depending on whether I've got to a position by moving the levers back or forward. For example, at the start of a flight (with engines on), all four levers are fully forward and they read (1 to 4) L, R, All, All,. If I move a lever back and then forward to this position again, it becomes the cutoff position. Going from front to back on engines 1 and 2, I get (after the initial position) L tip, Aux L, L, Ctr, Ctr2, R, Aux R, R tip. This pattern seems to make sense. For engines 3 and 4, however, I get Ctr2 again for what I think should be right, and nothing gives me right.

Going from back to front, engines 1 and 2 are the same except for the full-forward position being cutoff. On 3 and 4 I get two Aux R's intsead of two Ctr2's.

I suspect that the readings for engines 1 and 2 are really right for all four engines, and that full forward really is cutoff, but doesn't work that way when you start.

Any suggestions? I love flying this airplane, and I'll love it more when I figure out more stuff. (Just had it about a week).
Al
Mustang1977 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2014 at 5:07pm
Hey,

thank you for the hint. I've found it myself. Now, all systems working correctly! Thumbs Up
paabol View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paabol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 2:43pm
Hi,
I have recently purchased the JF DC-6B and also discovered some of these "odd" ways of invoking controls.

I learned that some switches move one way on left mouse click, and the other way on a right mouse click. Others react to moving the mouse wheel. The fuel selectors respond to left/right clicks.

Speaking of fuel selectors, the I think the supplied documentation does a poor job on describing fuel system management. I miss more exact information on the different settings of the selector levers, the x-feed levers, and the fuel booster pumps. The placards on the console are not easily readable. They may be authentic, but they don't describe every lever detent. 
Mustang1977 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mustang1977 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2014 at 8:32am
Hello,

Same problem! Not a fix yet?

I can move all 4 Fueltank-Selector only in ONE DIRECTION. I have tried all "mouse techniques" to get the levers moving back from the "off"-position - no chance! So the only way is to ignore the levers after I get in the cockpit and let the default-set.

An additional problem that I've found out is that I can't move the engine-selector switch back - similar problem as with the fueltank-selector.

GERMAN-REPLY's WELCOME! Handshake

Selbes Problem, gibts noch keinen Fix?

Ich kann den Tankwahlhebel auch nur in EINE RICHTUNG bewegen. Habe schon alle "Maus-Techniken" versucht - keine Chance! Also gibts nur die Möglichkeit die Hebel in Ruhe in der Default-Stellung zu lassen, das kanns aber auch nicht sein Confused

Ein ähnliches Problem betrifft den Triebwerks-Auswahlschalter. Den kann ich auch nur in 1 Richtung bewegen, also von OFF bis 4, aber nicht mehr retour, wtf? Das zerstört die ansonsten sehr gelungene Startroutine Thumbs Down.
Cedric View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cedric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2012 at 4:03pm
Hi Guys!

I want to make a "up" for this thread because we are on November , your last post is from June and nothing has been corrected by the developper???
Please JustFlight , do something for this problem , is really annoying to cannot manage the tank as it should be!

And excuse me for the grammatical mistakes , I'm not english.
mosburn View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mosburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 8:27pm
Thanks Bruce I will give that a try!
Pegasus
cbear View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 3:00am
possible work around. I have done a couple of flights this way it seems to work. When I start the sim the fuel leaves all say "ALL" .  I LEAVE THEM ALONE. They then use fuel from each tank in turn. If you move the lever you NEVER get the "ALL" postion back nor do you get a "right main".

As I said has worked for the last couple of flights.

Bruce
mosburn View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mosburn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2012 at 4:44am
I am having a similar problem, - all left side fuel tanks are available on the left selection lever and all right side fuel tanks are available on the right lever except for the right main tank. I am unable to select the right main tank,. Thanks for the help. 
Pegasus
cbear View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cbear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2012 at 6:48pm
I just purchased and installed this plane and I love it. One question, the fuel slection levers don't seem to have a "right" anything. All the levers show left & center tanks. What am I missing.

This is the download version and I don't see any updates for it.

Thanks
Bruce
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic