Just Flight Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > MS Flight
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Avsim review of Flight

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Avsim review of Flight
    Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 9:18am

Quote Microsoft closed down the ACES studio, put all the great developers out of work, threw away a fantastic simulator, and then slapped together this game for kids, an arcade game at that! It shouldn't deserve a review so what is this all about? That is probably what many people are thinking now. Right?

Well, they are completely wrong, wrong on all counts. First of all, while the ACES studio was certainly shut down, the developers were not scattered to all corners of the globe. Many of the principal developers remained with Microsoft Game Studios (MGS) and have taken the leading part in developing Microsoft Flight. Secondly, Flight is built over the legacy code from Flight Simulator X; it is not a completely new game. Anybody with only a passing knowledge of Flight Simulator (FS) will immediately recognize all the familiar elements, the aircraft models, flight characteristics, terrain and land class, weather, etc.

Those like me who have spent years, even decades, studying the inner workings of FS will quickly unpack the files and find essentially the same file structure. And Flight has many of the same issues and problems that have carried over from previous versions of Flight Simulator. In truth, Flight is Flight Simulator 11, the latest version of the 30 year old franchise.

And why so down on games? Not only kids play them. Games are a noble activity, perhaps the principal activity of our species in one form or another. All the higher forms of animal life play games, and the more complex the species, the more games it plays. One could even say the greater the intelligence, the more game play.

Flight Simulator is an excellent game where we all pretend to be pilots of different sorts, landing on dirt strips in Alaska, soaring high on a thermal, taking a chopper up for a spin, running an airline company, or flying the NAT according to the book. Flight is no more, nor less, a game than Flight Simulator X and has all the same hunts and hoops that are present in that game. And in the same way that many paid little or no attention to the game elements there, they will be able to do the same with Flight.

On another note, Flight finally unleashes the power of your advanced graphics card, unlike FSX which was CPU-limited, where it did all graphics processing. All those who complained of the CPU handling the graphics in FSX will now be able to complain about their graphics card being completely saturated by Flight. Which it does, as we shall see later.

Free Flight

I shall say this much: the airplanes are absolutely beautiful, as are the VC, and can easily bear comparison with the best that were available for FSX. They fly very nicely as well, although like so many of us, I am not qualified to judge flight models, not being a pilot and never having any time in a real airplane aside from the occasional right seat moments. But I have often been surprised at the complaints from some users that airplanes are "on rails" when designers of the real thing do their best to make them as stable as possible. The contrary would be rather messy.

The Flight aircraft are very stable compared to models in previous versions of FS - set cruise power, trim, and the plane will fly straight and level with only occasional corrections if weather conditions are favorable. Although they often are not in Flight! In the past, we sometimes had to fight the airplane all the way down and struggle to keep it lined up with the runway. But all the Flight airplanes can be lined up on Final, and you have a much easier chance of coming down on the numbers. Unless you are faced with a vicious crosswind in one of the IMC Weather Themes, and then, good luck!

As for the scenery, it is completely stunning. It is a mix of photo-real ground textures for all the airports, seamlessly blended in with some custom land class that perfectly represents the ground in Hawaii. You will be able to compare Flight terrain with aerial images and see how realistic and highly detailed it has become. The fields and orchards are where they should be, landmarks of all sorts are present, and everything just looks more lifelike than ever before.

For many of us VFR flyers, the low-and-slow crowd, the Special IFR (I Follow Roads) bunch, those who love to sight see, to fly the airplane (not operate it), to have fun, lots of fun, will quickly take to Flight. We too shall find that the content is limited in the beginning, but this should soon change. MGS must clearly have a very precise and detailed release schedule for DLC, and I wouldn't be surprised if they started putting out more content almost right away. When that happens, most of us will probably see that Flight is everything we have always wanted FS to be.
Conclusion

It is normal to resist change, even when beneficial. This is a common human trait and the reaction to Flight was to be expected. But there really is no reason to despair. Flight is a very good base for a complete flight simulator. It seems to be relatively trouble-free, highly extensible, and holds a lot of promise.

Full article hear...

PyroPlane View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PyroPlane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 1:58am
AMAZING REVIEW!!! Took me a few weeks to read it though.
HEY, I WAS BUSY.
I am a Pyromaniac and I will burn you to death with my Hadouken. TF2 Profound.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic