This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problems... help please :)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sappo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problems... help please :)
    Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 5:23am
Hey guys , just installed Traffic X... with the latest patch mind you.

Been noticing a few issues, and want to track down if its due to this addon or another one.

Hopefully someone else has experienced it before and can direct me to the best course of action, thanks in advance.

1) Every few flights say maybe 1 out of every 5, the flight plan is set and loaded properly, and showing in the GPS unit. The problem being when I go ahead and set the AP to NAV (switch to GPS) , it takes me on a totally different course.  My last flght a few hours ago infact this very problem happened, and I triple checked to make sure the flight plan was loaded correctly... but AP kept sending me in a totally wrong direction to the flight path.

I also run Radar Contact V4, and the ATC did acknowledge that the plan was filed to KJFK (as per GPS track) , so I know I wasn't going blind.

2) Bouncing. Usually when parked in a stall and I begin my start-up procedures, the aircraft will 'bounce' up a tiny bit and land back down, making a short 'screech' like you hear when landing. Sometimes it does this over and over until I start to taxi.

The only thing I can think of here is that I just installed the A2A Shockwave Lights Redux addon -- http://www.a2asimulations.com/store/shockwavelights/

As it changes the position of lighting, such as the gear lights. Perhaps that is causing a modeling error ingame?

3) Read the other posts on the traffic slider, both in game and for the traffic x control panel.

So right now its at the default 100% in the control panel, and in game I think 50% for both GA and Commercial.

I loaded into my home town CYYZ Toronto Pearson (very large, should be very busy airport)

There were a maybe 5-8 GA sitting in the parking slots, and hard to say but I could see about 10-15 Commercial planes at the gates.

Is this normal for such a large airport? Do I need to crank my in-game sliders up to 100%?

Also is it normal for ALL the aircraft to start contacting ATC and pushing at the same time... It seemed kind of strange that 6 jets all pushed back and started to taxi one right after the other in a conga line... when they had all been sitting silent for 10 minutes before hand.

Thanks guys
johnep View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 7:51am
I too have been having problems with ILS. It stopped working altogether and I had to reinstall FSX. Currently can hear morse but like you the plane goes off at a tangent and I have to revert to the GPS course which I have previously aligned with the runway in flight planner. I have been swapping planes in mid flight to get correct livery for matching my nephew's Delta flights and this most likely cause. Today I will start from scratch. Fly a FSX plane, save at finals and then swap so that I can take a pic of the correct livery plane landing.
johnep
johnep View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 7:54am
RE no or few planes. I found Honolulu absolutely empty. Told I have to schedule planes and will do in due course.
johnep
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2012 at 11:26pm
1) To answer queston 1, it is necessary to understand what Traffic X does do ... and conversely what it DOESN'T do.

What it does do ... Traffic X does install AI planes and flight plans.  To do this it simply copies some airplane models and liveries in to some folders, and then installs an AI traffic database file ("TrafficX.bgl") for those planes which FSX uses to fly the planes.

What it doesn't do ... Traffic X does not alter the FSX software or how it works in any way.  All aircraft systems such as instruments, dials, knobs, NAV, GPS, VOR, NDB, ILS, etc are all untouched.  None of these have anything to do with adding AI planes to the sim, and therefore Traffic X doesn't have anything to do with them.

In other words, the issue you describe setting the autopilot to NAV (and switching to GPS) and the plane subsequently flying off on a different course to what you are expecting has nothing to do with Traffic X.

--------------------------------------------

2) Bouncing is a common indication that your FSX settings are up too high and as a result your PC is stuggling to cope.  What's happening is that you are seeing things bounce as each individual scenery layer is being loaded, one at a time, in order, on top of each previous layer, (ground, then trees, then hills, then water, then clouds, then aprons, then runways, then buildings, then bridges, then autogen, then AI planes, etc etc etc).  As each layer loads, you see the bounce.

In this case, yes, this could be due indirectly to Traffic X.  By installing Traffic X you have added lots and lots of extra AI planes so the FSX program now has to do lots and lots of extra work.  And if your FSX settings are up a little too high, this is now causing the system to struggle.  Note that this issue could also result from adding any other add-on ... the more you add, the more the system has to do.

The good news is that if you are patient, eventually all of the scenery layers will finish loading up, and the bouncing will stop.

However, if it bothers you, then you can get rid of it simply by winding your FSX settings down a little.  This may mean lowering your Autogen setting, or your detail levels, or reducing your AI traffic sliders, and so on and so forth.  Reduce your settings until the system is no longer struggling and the bouncing will stop.

3) CYYZ is reasonably populated by planes.  It is certainly not empty (zero planes like PHNL [Honolulu] as johnep mentioned).  I have my FSX airline traffic slider set at 60%.  When I loaded up the sim and went to CYYZ I saw a range of different airlines there, and a reasonable number of GA planes too.  Try checking at different parts of the day, morning, day, dusk, night.  The airport should have a good number of airliners from different airlines and a reasonable number of GA.

4) When you first load up the sim, yes, it is normal for lots of aircraft to start contacting ATC and pushing at the same time.  The sim has just started and lots of AI planes got loaded.  There is now a lot of AI planes and schedules for the sim to sort out and keep track of, and it will take a few minutes for the sim to "catch up".  After a few minutes, things will settle down and the traffic flow will work as you expect.  But in those first few minutes, yes, it can certainly be a little "crazy".

And this also goes back to the answer to question 2 ... now that the sim has a lot of AI to sort and keep track of, its adding an extra workload to the sim ... an extra workload which places additional strain on your system.  In your case, your FSX sliders sound like they are up a little too high to cope with this newly added extra workload and this is showing itself by you seeing "bouncing".  It can certainly be a fine balancing act adjusting the FSX sliders to get the numbers of AI that you want to see, the graphics settings that you like, and making sure you are not straining your system too much.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic