This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Abacus FSRepaint V2 problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Abacus FSRepaint V2 problem
    Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 12:47am
I am trying to repaint Trafffic X aurcraft with FSRepaint V2. The problem is it shows a black plane on the .bmp textures, and no texture files show in the "Textures" tab. It's ok on the .dds textures. For example, for the Boeing 777-200, only the All Nippon-Star Alliance shows ok. I get a black plane on the rest of the 777-200s. And yet FSRepaint does work on other non-Traffic X bmp files. Anyone got a clue?
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2012 at 9:42pm
I've only ever used two programs to do repaints of Traffic X planes: 1. Traffic X's own repaint tool, and, 2. DXTBmp.  I use both of these in conjunction with Photoshop and they work really well.  I have no experience with FSRepaint.

Are you running the latest version of FSRepaint?  I see from the FSRepaint FAQ (here: FSRepaint FAQ) that the latest version has a fix for "Black Textures" appearing in FSX after creating a new variation.  I know that is after you've completed the job, but perhaps it is somehow related to what occurs when you are loading the textures in to the program as well.
Captain Z View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 3:32pm
I am using the latest version of FSRepaint.  I like it because wth FSRepaint there is a 3D view of the model that can be rotated, panned, and zoomed with the mouse.  And the best part is that any change made with the editor is instantaneously visible on the 3D model when you save your edit.  I.e., you don't have to fire up FSX to see the changes. I use it with PaintShop Pro as an external editor.  I don't think the Traffic X repaint program has that feature.
I discovered a work around for my problem.  If I open the .bmp texture file with DXTBmp and save it as DDS DXT3, I can see it in FSRepaint, but the textures are upside down.  So I use my editor to flip it and it looks ok.  I was able to do repaints with FSRepaint this way and so far they look good.
Thanks for your reply and research into FSRepaint.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2012 at 10:41pm
You're right that the Traffic X Repaint tool doesn't do panning, rotating and zooming.  Instead, it simply exports your image to an external editor (Photoshop, PaintShop, etc) and you edit it, before resaving it back in to the Repaint program and then having to fire up FSX to see your changes.  The trick is to simply keep FSX running and merely reload the plane after each edit to see your changes.

Good that you've found a work-around.

And, yes, DDS images are always stored upside down (compared with BMP) so may need flipping once loaded if you are going to save them again in BMP formats.
Captain Z View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2012 at 5:43pm
Thanks for your help and expertise.   Good suggestion about keeping FSX running when editing. I'll keep that in mind when I have problems wih FSRepaint. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic