This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Prospective Traffic X Purchaser with a Question
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prospective Traffic X Purchaser with a Question

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psykie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prospective Traffic X Purchaser with a Question
    Posted: 06 Feb 2012 at 6:00am
Hello Everyone:
I presently have UTII and I'm eyeing Traffic X to purchase since UTII does NOT have cargo carriers.  I'm able to import 3rd party packages but I don't have the time to piece-meal paints, aircrafts, and schedules (being that I work full time, have kids, and a social life). My FSDT LAX cargo area is dead especially FedEX (not very realistic).
QUESTION: For those that have Traffic X are you satisfied with the program, the number of cargo carriers, and the rendering of the airplanes? Thanks for your help in this matter.

Matthew
jomni View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jomni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 3:09am
I'm satisfied but I cannot compare with UTII.  I used WOAI before this.  Planes are ok.  3D models are not too fancy but it helps in the frame rates.  Paints are good although may be old already.    
http://jomnisgames.blogspot.com
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 3:29am
My journey into Flight Simulator AI began with Traffic 2005.  I have never run WOAI or owned/used any of the other AI packages such as Ultimate Traffic etc.  I got a lot out of Traffic 2005 ... and when Traffic X was announced and released, I immediately jumped at it with no hesitation.

Out of the box, the default levels of traffic are great ... however, do note that traffic levels were initially only "OK" with the initial purchase, but Just Flight released a Service Pack and the traffic levels increased dramatically with that ... so be sure to install the Service Pack.

For airline coverage, Traffic X is comprehensive.  It is rare to find an airline missing from Traffic X, and when you do notice one missing it is always one of the lesser known or more obscure ones.

FedEx is very well represented.  As are other freight carriers such as UPS, TNT, DHL, etc. In your daily FSX travels you will regularly see freight aircraft parked at the ramp, taxiing or flying ... (along with the airlines too of course).

GA planes are fairly well represented, although there perhaps could have been a few more varieties.  Still, it is good enough and does the job well.

The liveries could be a little better.  Some of the paints are a little blurry and fuzzy around the edges.  However, this is really only noticable if you increase the zoom and are actually making the effort, on purpose, to look closely enough to pick faults.  For day-to-day FSX use, where YOU are concentrating on what it is that YOU have to do, taxiing, flying, landing, taxiing again, etc ... you certainly won't notice.  I've added a few of my own repaints, and I've taken the time to do them well, but even those can turn out a little fuzzy based on how you choose to save/import them and what resolution you choose.  Whilst many Traffic X reviews may advise that the Traffic X liveries could be better, it looks to me like Just Flight made a conscious decision to choose the resolution they chose in an effort to maintain good frame rates whilst trying to balance livery resolution at the same time.  Personally, whilst there are a handful of times when I do wish the liveries were better, I quickly forget about it and think Just Flight did get it just right (no pun intended).

Speaking of frame rates, with Traffic X, you will barely notice a decrease.

In conclusion, out of the box, Traffic X is fine ... traffic levels are great (provided you remember you need to install the Service Pack), airline coverage is comprehensive, GA is covered well enough, the liveries are fine if you are not nitpicking them, and the frame rates are exceptional.

I know you said you won't have time to piece-meal things ... and that is fine ... Traffic X will still be great ... but if you ever DO want to get down to the nuts-and-bolts of adding/editing/repainting etc, Traffic X provides all the tools to get the job done.  I'm sorry I cannot compare it to other packages, having only owned Traffic 2005 and now Traffic X, but I'm a happy user and I've never felt the need or desire to consider a change.

-------------
PS. Jomni makes a good point that Traffic X is a little "dated" now and some of the airlines etc may have closed and others (new airlines) may not necessarily be represented.  Traffic X does provide the tools for you to remove airlines, and add repaints etc.  But, of course, that would be where the piece-meal stuff comes in. And note that unlike other packages may do, Just Flight do not provide regular updates.  What you get, is what you get.
psykie View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psykie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2012 at 4:56am
Thank you For your input gentlmen.  I do appreciate it.

Matthew
Matthew
johnep View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 7:51am
I have Trafficx. If you click on screen will get choice of views. Aircraft brings up AI planes in vicinity. Did this yesterday near Beijing and one of them was a 747 cargo, so there are cargo planes in trafficx. If at same ratio as real life then bound to be small percentage. but you can always add some more.
johnep
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic