This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Real World Aviation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cockpit Video - interesting perspective

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cockpit Video - interesting perspective
    Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 2:27pm
Thought this was worth sharing:

http://youtu.be/nYDba1UsgHc
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 4:17pm
Thats very interesting Slopey.

I never knew you could "waggle" a sidestick controller as much as that!!  Blimey, what mode was he in "Direct Law"? Surely not the full FBW. The aircraft appears to be unresponsive to so much stick input! Do that to the column in a Cessna and you would be giving sick bags to the passengers.Confused

Fascinating. 

Cheers.
Herky.

You Tube at HERKY231 or David Herky

TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 4:31pm
Great video, thanks for posting.
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by Herky Herky wrote:

Thats very interesting Slopey.

I never knew you could "waggle" a sidestick controller as much as that!!  Blimey, what mode was he in "Direct Law"? Surely not the full FBW. The aircraft appears to be unresponsive to so much stick input! Do that to the column in a Cessna and you would be giving sick bags to the passengers.Confused

Fascinating. 

Cheers.
Herky.

Not necesarily - if I watch video of me landing the 172 - I'm waggling all over the place - the aircraft lags behind a wee bit, and while I'm eyes-outside for the landing, there's loads of waggling going on to keep her going where I want to and compensating for wind/speed/height etc.

So a bit of waggling on approach is almost a given. On something that big, there'll be even more lag, so a larger input required, so bigger "waggle".
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 5:19pm
I think the stick has quite a big range of movement though, so the inputs weren't probably as significant as they appeared.

It's not like the minimal range of movement we are used to on simming joysticks.
Ben435 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 11:28am
Fantatsic Video!

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks
Ben435
Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

I think the stick has quite a big range of movement though, so the inputs weren't probably as significant as they appeared.

It's not like the minimal range of movement we are used to on simming joysticks.

Yes, there must be quite a range of movement! Nothing like the Force Feedback stick, or the F-16 controllerWink  If he waggled that one imagine what the Viper would dooh how I laughed

Whats also interesting, is the wide angle camera makes the cockpit look like a 57 Chevvy...Big comfy old cruiser, ( bit like the description of my ex)oh how I laughed

Cheers,
Herky.
You Tube at HERKY231 or David Herky

VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 3:49pm
Flying: the art of separating an object from its shadow for some period of time.

Great video!

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 2:28am
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

It's probably actually down to the low IAS, any control input and subsequent deflection of control surfaces would elicit less of a response in terms of the motion of the aircraft.

Flying the Grobs on an approach (@~ 70 KIAS), the control column is all over the place, especially in choppy conditions.

Although, considering the amount of augmentation of control inputs that goes on with the Airbus aircraft, I wouldn't be surprised if the aircraft systems were actually programmed to compensate for low/high airspeeds when control inputs are made (so with low IAS for example, deflect the surfaces more for every input etc).

I have to say, I can't imagine flying an Airbus would be much fun. All the FBW stuff most likely makes it easier and gives a smoother ride, but I bet there's a sense of being disconnected from the airplane. Confused   
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 9:11am
The pilot who posted the video explained that he is relatively new to Airbus/FBW and admitted to using slightly excessive control inputs. When you've got thousands of hours on older aircraft, I suppose it must be hard to adapt to FBW!
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic