Just Flight Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > MS Flight
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MS Flight latest and simmers aren't happy.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MS Flight latest and simmers aren't happy.
    Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 3:55pm
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 4:18pm
Oh God.

When I was reading all the speculation on Avsim and people crying out "It's going to be Hawaii only", I thought "No, Microsoft wouldn't be that stupid"..

I didn't take part in the speculation and was eager to give Microsoft a chance, but I have to say with this news it's getting increasingly difficult to stay positive about Flight. I don't think it's what us dedicated simmers deserve.

I for one am not interested in missions, discovering hidden 'features' and unlocking skill points. I don't want a game.
Kind regards,
Tom
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 4:30pm
Don't panic yet Tom.

It's just Hawaii, as a free download. Then we will have to fork out for each region we want.

We also get just two planes. Again we will have to fork out for more planes.

I think it could get expensive very fast.

As for the arcade stuff, well FSX already has that with missions and stuff and flying round pylons. The good news is that you can fly the aircraft like an arcade sim, or using proper procedures in detailed cockpits.

It's the expense that may put simmers off. Hope MS aren't trying to rip us off.
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 4:34pm
On the other hand, how many default aircraft do you actually use? You can skip forking out for them as part of the normal boxed offering and go straight to the aircraft you are actually interested in.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 4:36pm
The press release...

“Microsoft Flight” Takes to the Skies

Microsoft Studios reveals details on new PC game designed to bring flight to the masses

Today, Microsoft Studios premiered “Microsoft Flight,” a new PC game that lets players jump into the challenge, fun, and freedom of flight. “Microsoft Flight” will be available as a free download this spring, giving players the freedom to fly the skies over the beautiful Big Island of Hawaii, complete a variety of exciting missions, test their skills in flying challenges, or find hidden aerocaches on the island.

In “Microsoft Flight,” players view the world from above in a visually stunning and realistic representation of the earth, complete with region-specific weather patterns, foliage, terrain and landmarks.

Players can choose to take the helm using highly rendered, accurate cockpits and authentic piloting procedures, or simply use their mouse and keyboard to control the plane in an exterior view.

More experienced players can tailor the flight controls to match their skill level, making “Microsoft Flight” easy for beginners while still challenging for the most accomplished PC pilots.

“Many people dream of flying, but few have the chance to experience the fun of exploring the world from above. ‘Microsoft Flight’ provides players the opportunity to explore that curiosity and interest,” said Joshua Howard, executive producer of “Microsoft Flight.” “Aviation can be incredibly technical, but we’ve taken great care to build an experience that makes taking to the skies thrilling and accessible for everyone.”

Start Exploring For Free

After downloading “Microsoft Flight” for free, players can jump into hours of exciting gameplay on the Big Island of Hawaii.

In addition, players who sign in to their Games for Windows – LIVE account automatically receive additional free content, including the legendary Boeing Stearman plane, supplementary missions, and access to Achievements and an Online Pilot Profile. Those looking to deepen their experience can purchase and download additional content that adds new aircraft, regions and customization options. The frequently released new content for “Microsoft Flight” includes daily aerocache challenges and updates that make every flight unique and fun.

Be the First to Fly the Definitive Light Sport Aircraft ICON A5

Microsoft Studios worked with the personal airplane manufacturing team at ICON Aircraft to give aviation fans the exclusive opportunity to fly the all-new ICON A5 before real-world production starts at the end of 2012. Designed by the world-class aeronautical engineers behind the Voyager spaceship, X-Prize winning SpaceShipOne, and Virgin Galatic’s SpaceShipTwo, the ICON A5 is the “jet ski for the skies,” a high-wing amphibious monoplane with a carbon fiber airframe and a comfortable, automobile-inspired cockpit with space for two. The ICON A5 will be the first aircraft available to players for free in “Microsoft Flight.”

“ICON Aircraft and ‘Microsoft Flight’ both share the goal of making the fun of flying accessible to everyone who’s ever dreamed about it. ICON does this by fusing world-class product design with the very best engineering, and Microsoft by combining the excitement of a great gaming experience with the authenticity of a top notch flight simulator,” said ICON Aircraft CEO Kirk Hawkins.

Be the First to Experience “Microsoft Flight”

Today the team behind “Microsoft Flight” released an exclusive video that features all-new footage of “Microsoft Flight.” To view it, visit: http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/. Additionally, the launch sequence has begun! Be among the first to try “Microsoft Flight” by signing up for the closed beta at: https://connect.micr...D=FLY-BRQX-BXTB.

The voyage continues at this year’s Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas from January 10 – 13. Those that attend will have the chance to play “Microsoft Flight” before it releases this spring at the Microsoft booth, located in the Central Hall.

For more information, news, and access to gameplay footage for “Microsoft Flight,” visit http://www.microsoft.com/games/flight/.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by RAS RAS wrote:

On the other hand, how many default aircraft do you actually use? You can skip forking out for them as part of the normal boxed offering and go straight to the aircraft you are actually interested in.

True, but I was referring more to the regions other than Hawaii that we have to pay for.

I wonder what the total cost will be for a reasonable amount of landscape to satisfy serious simmers?

MS aren't daft, me thinks it will be pricey.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 4:50pm
Quote MS aren't daft, me thinks it will be pricey.

Would they not be daft to make it pricey? Surely the main concept of DLC is small-ish expansions at small prices.
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 4:57pm
Depends whether they are considering the serious simmer or not though.

The non serious purchaser will be quite happy with the free Hawaii, and perhaps one or two other small regions, so cost per region won't be an issue. Serious simmers though demand a lot more scenery.

Hopefully you are right, and the total cost of the entire globe, like we have now in FSX, will not exceed the price we paid for FSX.

I am doubtful though.
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 6:26pm
I'm going to reserve judgement until it's actually released. After all, the FSX demo was limited to a small area originally.

If the continents are DLC, then provided they don't exceed the X-Plane 10 cost (which has the usual terrible production quality), and are better than FSX, then I think that's ok. Even better if I can opt for Orbx stuff rather than the M$.

Same for aircraft - I've spent a small fortune on add-on aircraft, and provided similar aircraft are available for similar cost, I don't see it as a big deal.

If it's just going to be a flying version of Mario Kart, that'll suck.

But provided there's an SDK, 3rd party developers can submit stuff to the store, and there's world wide scenery and heavy metal (along with staples such as ATC/Traffic), I think it'll work out ok.
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 6:40pm
http://flyawaysimulation.com/news/4317/microsoft-flight-behind-scenes-at-microsoft-studios/

Quote The game will feature it’s own marketplace, with content regulated by Microsoft. There will be no scenery development kit and hence no user created content.

??
Kind regards,
Tom
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 6:54pm
Yeah - just saw that. I say old chap thats a trifle strange????

It's mario-kart in the air after all :( The FlyAwaySim article does not make for encouraging reading.

I don't get how they want to appeal to a wider user base, but won't have combat? Given that probably 80% of the gaming demographic want to shoot things.

I still reserve judgement until launch, but I'm not particularly excited about it now.
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 7:00pm
I feel the same. I'll definitely download it and have a play (being the operative word) around with it, but i'm no longer as optimistic. If they'll be releasing by region, it could be months, or years, before we get to fly in the UK. I can imagine the first areas to follow Hawaii will be US states, before they eventually venture this side of the pond, and with no user development releases could be very slow!

It seems as though we've reached a bit of a crossroads in flight simulation at the moment. Flight is increasingly looking like a kid's game. FSX is still current, but ageing - you can dress it up as much as you want but it's age is still evident in the way it runs! X-Plane 10 is new, but is nowhere near as versatile (yet) and still very rough around the edges (UI, scenery, poor hardware support to name but a few) and there's Prepar3D, which at $499 is just hopelessly overpriced for what, to me, just seems like FSX on steroids.
Kind regards,
Tom
Ben435 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by twright twright wrote:

Oh God.

When I was reading all the speculation on Avsim and people crying out "It's going to be Hawaii only", I thought "No, Microsoft wouldn't be that stupid"..

I didn't take part in the speculation and was eager to give Microsoft a chance, but I have to say with this news it's getting increasingly difficult to stay positive about Flight. I don't think it's what us dedicated simmers deserve.

I for one am not interested in missions, discovering hidden 'features' and unlocking skill points. I don't want a game.

+1

Thanks
Ben435
Concorde216 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Concorde216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 7:28pm

I think I will stick to my FS2004 and soon FSX purchases. 

If Microsoft are not going to allow third party add-ons then it looks like I'll be waiting for a long time before a decent Airbus/Boeing/Concorde/VC-10 or even military aircraft models can be created to work in MS FlightUnhappy.

The whole idea purchasing an area and not have world-wide coverage seems a bit of a turn-off for me.  When I start Flight Sim, I never go into it with an idea of a pre-planned flight/route.  I decide my destiny there and then when I am in the Create Flight menu and sometimes I could be doing aerobatics, other times I could flying at Mach 2 to/from JFK or flying somewhere else in the world.  With MS Flight, I wont have that option to hand anymore. 

If I decide out of the blue that I want to do a ferry flight trip to simulate the Embraer E-Jets coming to the UK, I wont be able to do that in MS Flight, without first having to go to their website, purchase and then download the files and then install them, probably have to re-start the computer, all before I can begin to start flying.  How is that suppose to give me more freedom?  FS9 and FSX have the freedom we all want and love.  We may not fly all if any of the stock aircraft that come with FS9/FSX but it is nice to know that they are there if we want to fly them for a quick circuit or just muck around for a few minutes (especially if you are someone who is an occasional simmer and not as hard core as the rest of us maybe). 

How much will it cost to get the whole world coverage?  Will it be astronomical or will Microsoft play fair (yeah, right!) and charge a small amount?  And what about AI aircraft for Air Traffic?  Will these have to be additional purchases?

Who on earth at Mircosoft decided to go down this route? 

Rant over...for nowAngry
Concorde216
"All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics. TSR-2 simply got the first three right." - Sir Sydney Camm
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 8:33pm
Who on earth at Mircosoft decided to go down this route? 

The accountants.

767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 8:49pm
As soon as i read a while back third party add-ons will not be compatible i just forgot about it, the only time i ever flew default aircraft consistantly was when i first got FS2002, that was before i got the 737-400 expansion pack, after that it was once in a blue moon i used default aircraft, normally when i first installed FS9 and FSX i gave them a try,but even then it was no more than a few minutes as it got tedious after a while.

In a way i'm glad i've been put off Flight, as i have got FSX working okish ( improvements to the pc are imminent ) and i don't want to go through the same problem as i had with FSX

mjrhealth View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjrhealth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 8:57pm
A bit of the world at a time, so how long will it take to do the rest of the world. It seems they want all the profits for themselves, they have seeing what the developers have done to fsx but they want all the pie. FSX may be around for a while yet.
Haswell 4770K @ 4.2(so far) Gigabtye GAZ87XUD3H 8 Gig Cas 9 DDR3 16000 MHz Ram, NVIDIA GTX 680 2Gig Video, Win 7 64 bit.
767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by mjrhealth mjrhealth wrote:

. FSX may be around for a while yet.

if Flight is going to be how i, and many others think it will be, then yes.

some people have mentioned X-Plane alot, and a friend of mine has it but X-Plane isn't really a suitable alternative for me as i have never been able to enjoy it, though that was previous versions, X-Plane 10 may well be a completely different animal, at the moment though i'm happy with FSX
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by 767nutter 767nutter wrote:

if Flight is going to be how i, and many others think it will be, then yes. some people have mentioned X-Plane alot, and a friend of mine has it but X-Plane isn't really a suitable alternative for me as i have never been able to enjoy it, though that was previous versions, X-Plane 10 may well be a completely different animal, at the moment though i'm happy with FSX

I agree about X-Plane. I do believe it has potential, but it's not there yet. I don't like the new scenery in XP10, I just don't think it looks very realistic. And also the lack of airport buildings and the clunky and unintuitive user interface.

I honestly would take Prepar3D a lot more seriously if they gave it a realistic price. Ideologically, it's a good idea - it takes the core engine of FSX, a product which (feature and functionality-wise) everyone is happy with, and gives it a major overhaul adding new features and improving the existing ones to make a bigger and more stable sim, whilst still maintaining compatibility with a lot of our favourite third party add ons. That's what we all want, just not at $500 If Prepar3D was a more reasonable price, say $70, i'd get it and forget about Flight.
Kind regards,
Tom
767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by twright twright wrote:

Originally posted by 767nutter 767nutter wrote:

if Flight is going to be how i, and many others think it will be, then yes. some people have mentioned X-Plane alot, and a friend of mine has it but X-Plane isn't really a suitable alternative for me as i have never been able to enjoy it, though that was previous versions, X-Plane 10 may well be a completely different animal, at the moment though i'm happy with FSX

I agree about X-Plane. I do believe it has potential, but it's not there yet. I don't like the new scenery in XP10, I just don't think it looks very realistic. And also the lack of airport buildings and the clunky and unintuitive user interface.

I honestly would take Prepar3D a lot more seriously if they gave it a realistic price. Ideologically, it's a good idea - it takes the core engine of FSX, a product which (feature and functionality-wise) everyone is happy with, and gives it a major overhaul adding new features and improving the existing ones to make a bigger and more stable sim, whilst still maintaining compatibility with a lot of our favourite third party add ons. That's what we all want, just not at $500 If Prepar3D was a more reasonable price, say $70, i'd get it and forget about Flight.

i actually went to the prepar3d website after seeing it on here as i hadn't heard of it before, as soon as i saw the "$499 per license" i just clicked on the x button, i'd rather spend that money on improving my pc for FSX!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic