Just Flight Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > MS Flight
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MS Flight latest and simmers aren't happy.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 12:24am
You can get Prepar3D for $10 a month under a "Developer" licence, and there's rumours of a normal consumer licence too later in 2012.
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 1:31am
Quote Those looking to deepen their experience can purchase and download additional content that adds new aircraft, regions and customization options.

This is the part that is disturbing.

...so basically you can NOT fly around the world "out the box".

As I always thought, FSX started down the slippery path of an ARCADE GAME, and MS didn't disappoint with the next version.

How much are the "regions"? What about the 70% of the planet covered in WATER????

Meh - I'll bet the flight model sucks as much as the game does.

I'll never fly another MS Flight Simulator (or game) again, and it is highly unlikely I'll keep flying the ones I already have, either. The exception seems to be the MD-82, only because it supports multi-crew properly.

What the hell is it with modern consumers wanting expensive junk? Can't they see they are being ripped off by these companies?????

Good luck MS. You represent everything wrong with today's consumers.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 10:58am
A nod is a good as a wink to a blind bat... if you get my drift.

Oh. My. God. Noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

I imagine that it's going to be like Take on Helicopters, without the helicopters, and with aircraft which would be significantly more simplistic than ToH's helicopters.
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 11:16am
This is ominous:

This is a post from Tom Allensworth (AVSIM):

Now that this subject is out in the public domain, I can talk about it.

In Redmond at our meeting with MS last month, that question was asked. The answer was that MS would work with "partners" to provide content, if their own in-house developers couldn't. Last week I spoke with a very well known 3rd party supplier to FSX about this subject. He stated that his group had discussed a relationship that would allow them to provide content to FLIGHT, however, the percentage of the sale given back to the developer was a deal breaker.

When you think of 3rd party developers and product available to users of FLIGHT, think of the ITunes store as a model.

Let me also add that of the organizations invited to Redmond, there was only one developer present and they will remain nameless.

I forgot to add that as for the freeware hobbiest that has grown our hobby, well, with FLIGHT, the end of freeware is upon us, as far as I can tell.

UberAegis View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UberAegis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 11:17am
Very disappointed, a hawaii flight sim. How much to get total world coverage. In terms of default aircraft i agree with slopey, one GA and a commercial jet would do me. No developers allowed, so since Microsoft will be the only ones developing no real incentive to raise the bar,you want a DC 3 buy ours or nothing, rw weather, use ours even if it ain t great, want to haul cargo round the world and run a company, sorry no plans to develop that but you can pick up a daily aerocache... i have a xbox 360 for all my arcade needs already thanks. was really hoping ms flight would be fsx but taking advantage of multicore processors etc. I guess microsoft arent really appealing to a flight sim market anymore but a games market in general ,however in my opinion flight simmers won t buy it and to be honest there are a lot of good flight games that fulfil the need of the casual flyer probably for a good deal less money.
If the wings are moving faster than the fuselage you`re in a helicopter and therefore unsafe
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 11:19am
By the way, Prepar3D isn't all it's cracked up to be. Personally I haven't seen any performance increase over FSX, and the scenery upgrades are very minor.
Perhaps I'll do a side-by-side comparison to show the fps and visual differences at some point. Other things to look at currently though.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 11:28am
Originally posted by mjrhealth mjrhealth wrote:

It seems they want all the profits for themselves, they have seeing what the developers have done to fsx but they want all the pie. FSX may be around for a while yet.

Precisely. Money, money, money!

Many will no longer frown at... M$
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 11:41am
Originally posted by RAS RAS wrote:

By the way, Prepar3D isn't all it's cracked up to be. Personally I haven't seen any performance increase over FSX, and the scenery upgrades are very minor.
Perhaps I'll do a side-by-side comparison to show the fps and visual differences at some point. Other things to look at currently though.

There is a V2 on the way though. With a move to code it more GPU greedy than CPU.

the guys from OrbX are working with Lockheed martin apparently.

Quote uAs for Orbx FSX will remain our core platform for at least 5-10 years and we will run Prepar3D as a parallel platform. We're porting all our stuff to P3D over the coming months. P3D V2.0 looks crazy cool, although I am under NDA with LM. We will release about 30+ products for FSX/P3D this year alone, including about 5-6 new regions including some in Europe. We're doubling our regions team and investing in FSX/P3D R&D as quickly as we can. We see no reason why anyone would walk away from 5 years of FSX addons investment to a new simulator. The future from our perspective is very bright.
MS don't know what they have in the FSX engine source code, or they would not have licensed it to LM. It is by far the most capable and impressive 3D far-horizon engine ever coded - bar none. Nothing, even in 2012 comes close to the number of pixels and terrain the FSX engine can push at a locked 60Hz. Problem is, the code needs a little loving and MS won't fund that. So good thing we have a dev team at LM who are doing just that. Can't wait for that engine to be running close to the metal and off the CPU and onto the GPU. Yes, that's coming and it will rock.

Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 11:49am
Hopefully the next version will make a serious difference to performance (which is what I was hoping to see from Prepar3D in the first place). If they can deliver what is being talked about (and perhaps do a lower priced consumer version, although I doubt they are allowed) then they could be onto something.
It certainly has some potential. They are due to start selling several of our titles any day now.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 2:56pm
 My feeling is that it's early days. It could transpire that when Flight sells less than MS anticipated, an SDK is forthcoming, and developers are offered a bigger slice of the pie. 

Microsoft aren't daft, they can switch direction at any time.
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 3:22pm

It now seems this Flight thing is going off in a completely different direction from FS9/X and serious flight simulation.  It will be a separate product line for MS and despite early assumptions, may not actually be in competition with what we have now for our hobby.  This is a game - no more - and they'll develop it along gaming lines with more titles and more content, but no more depth in terms of simulating real world aviation.  That will take it further and further from the legacy FS genre.

Microsoft will do well with this and will make a ton of money selling it to console gamers who will come and go in droves.  To us it's looking much like a shallow version of what we do and want to do.  To the gamers, it's a credible "next great thing", until the next "next great thing" comes along, perhaps with a body piercing theme or airport full-body security scanning simulation - "Come with me, madam - you had 1.1 ounces of shampoo in your bag so we must do a full body cavity search".

I'm now hopeful that the software houses (e.g. JF) can continue to do business as in the past until the next real flight simulation comes along.  It may well be Aerosoft who creates it, but that will take a few years.  In terms of real flight simulation, the 800 pound gorilla has left the sandbox and that may be good news in the long run.  If Flight was going to be a serious sim, the MS position regarding add-ons was going to be the death knell of some of the developers - this puts that off for a while yet by keeping FS9/X viable.  Hardware, OS and add-on software innovation will continue to improve the FS9/X experience marginally for a while yet until someone does what MS failed to do with Flight.

John Allard
silverbeard21 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverbeard21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 6:04pm
Flight - Yup!! Just as I thought it's a game. They try and dress it up as something for everybody, but its just a game. It is a fast buck generator with no longevity. I think that the serious fraternity will have to look elsewhere when FSX dies - which may now not be very soon.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 6:37pm
A wise man once siad...

Remember that there is nothing stable in human affairs: therefore avoid undue elation in prosperity  or undue depression in adversity.

Things may turn out not to be as bad as they seem, regarding Flight.

We shall see. 
Ben435 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 7:16pm
I hope so Martin!

Thanks
Ben435
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 7:57pm
Quote Let me also add that of the organizations invited to Redmond, there was only one developer present and they will remain nameless.

Either Aerosoft or PMDG. They are the only major players that could attract such an offer from MS. I'm guessing PMDG from comments I have read there previously.

Looks like Falcon may yet take the title of longest running flight simulator.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
AndyUK View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by silverbeard21 silverbeard21 wrote:

..... I think that the serious fraternity will have to look elsewhere when FSX dies - which may now not be very soon.

Or at least until MS turn off the activation service for it!  How long are they legally obliged to keep the activation for FSX going?

Andy L
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 9:26am
Originally posted by VulcanB2 VulcanB2 wrote:

Quote Let me also add that of the organizations invited to Redmond, there was only one developer present and they will remain nameless.

Either Aerosoft or PMDG. They are the only major players that could attract such an offer from MS. I'm guessing PMDG from comments I have read there previously.

Looks like Falcon may yet take the title of longest running flight simulator.

Best regards,
Vulcan.

Flight1?
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 9:28am
Originally posted by AndyUK AndyUK wrote:

Originally posted by silverbeard21 silverbeard21 wrote:

..... I think that the serious fraternity will have to look elsewhere when FSX dies - which may now not be very soon.

Or at least until MS turn off the activation service for it!  How long are they legally obliged to keep the activation for FSX going?

Andy L

They wouldn't  do something like that. It would be questionable legally. They would be preventing legitimate purchasers from using something they paid for.

More likley activation would no longer be required.

jomni View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jomni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 9:56am
Originally posted by RAS RAS wrote:

And take note that Prepar3D only has limited content at the moment.
"High-detail living world with 45 airports and 39 cities".

So the world is larger than MS Flight but way smaller than FSX.

They wouldn't  do something like that. It would be questionable legally. They would be preventing legitimate purchasers from using something they paid for.

More likley activation would no longer be required.

Well we better read the EULA more carefully.  There might be a clause that enables MS to "turn the switch off".
http://jomnisgames.blogspot.com
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2012 at 9:58am
Prepar3D has the entire world, the same as FSX, but has 45 highly detailed airports and 39 highly detailed cities.
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic