Just Flight Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > MS Flight
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

MS Flight latest and simmers aren't happy.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2012 at 9:57pm
I didn't like the Icon A5 at first but it's growing on me. It's amphibious, so you can land and take off on the water too.

My take is that it's a bit of fun, pure and simple. I've even bought the DLC. It isn't going to replace my FSX loaded with high complexity add on aircraft like the NGX and the Concorde. It might exceed it in terms of scenery quality but even then I don't think it'll ever offer the total freedom that FSX does.

However the new engine does run nicely as you've identified. I have a purpose-built, i7 gaming rig, and even on this FSX is a constant battle. I spend more time tweaking the damn thing than I do actually flying. That's one nice thing about Flight, it looks pretty good and runs pretty well with no messing around required.

Actually if you take some time to play around with Flight, once you pull back the sugar coating of missions and aerocache things the core simulation is actually pretty good. You can do spins in Flight, something no FSX aircraft as far as I'm aware has ever been able to do properly. VOR, NDB and ILS are all modelled and correct. The weather engine, whilst not very customizable does quite a good job with visibility, wind shear and turbulence. Even some of the missions are not as daft as they appear. Some of the landing challenges are really quite tricky and do test your piloting skills. Crosswind landings, ILS approaches in near zero visibility and so on. Even the aerocache hunts, as someone over on the Avsim forum pointed out, are actually designed to take you to the interesting locations in Hawaii and teach you about them, leaving you to plan and navigate to it yourself - isn't that what you do in FSX anyway?!

The DLC model is an interesting one, and one that's sparked a lot of discussion. The fact that it's entirely online and based on electronic transactions doesn't bother me. It's how I've bought 98% of my FSX add ons anyway. A benefit of having a completely integrated online system like the GFWL platform is that, like Steam, updates for the games and content are pushed to you and applied automatically. No need to ever worry about service packs and the like.

The fact that there's no SDK to allow third parties to develop for it does bother me however. It's a completely different approach to anything we've had before. I can see why Microsoft have done it, but I don't like it! Maybe one day this will change, but don't hold your breath.

Joystick axis and buttons are all customizable from the Options > Aircraft Controls screen. Have a look in there, look for the Throttle entry and make sure it's assigned. Just click it and then wiggle your throttle axis. One thing I hope for in a future update is more flexibility over things like joystick sensitivity and null zones. I find it way too sensitive and it makes flying aircraft like the RV-6A, which is a slick, fast aircraft, almost impossibly twitchy!
Kind regards,
Tom
PyroPlane View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PyroPlane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 1:51am
Since I was a beta tester, I can tell you guys that the release version is 10X better than the beta version. The only problem was that they only fixed the big bugs. And btw, they're creating Alaska! Check this out...

https://news.microsoftflight.com/blogs/news/archive/2012/03/05/dlc-sneak-peek-journey-to-alaska.aspx
I am a Pyromaniac and I will burn you to death with my Hadouken. TF2 Profound.
Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2012 at 2:24pm
[QUOTE=PyroPlane]Since I was a beta tester, I can tell you guys that the release version is 10X better than the beta version. The only problem was that they only fixed the big bugs. And btw, they're creating Alaska! Check this out...

https://news.microsoftflight.com/blogs/news/archive/2012/03/05/dlc-sneak-peek-journey-to-alaska.aspx[/QUOTE]

Normally I wouldn't be looking around here. But had a spare minute....

Well, firstly the link is brokenThumbs%20Down

If the release version is 10x better than the beta and they only fixed the "big bugs", my suspicions are confirmed!..............OMG! 

Perhaps all the Hoola Hoola girls died in the Alaskan winter......DeadDead

MS...re-hire ACES. Let FSX evolve like it should have done. There are plenty of paper aeroplanes for children to fly.

?Wink

You Tube at HERKY231 or David Herky

PyroPlane View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PyroPlane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2012 at 1:40am
Sorry bout the link, but I can't seem to fix it. Checked it over and over again but can't fix it. If you want to see the news, either go on facebook or go to https://microsoftflight.com/en-US/home/ and click on "News Updates". Then under "Archive" click "March 2012" and find the title that says "DLC Sneak Peak: Journey to Alaska"

And Yes I know it's irritating to know that there have only been MAJOR bugs fixed.

But since I was a beta tester and Microsoft only released ONE update to the beta, all I can tell you right now is that they're planning on releasing an update along with the Alaska Expansion or when the Alaska Expansion nears completion.

Be patient, I know what it feels to have to be waiting for long periods of time. Plus, they can only work for "quality" for a single item at a time.

Here are some pictures I took from FLIGHT:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/owningsidthekid/screenshots/?tab=&showdate=1&filter=shortcut_89039
I am a Pyromaniac and I will burn you to death with my Hadouken. TF2 Profound.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic