This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mobile Phone Advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mobile Phone Advice
    Posted: 10 Dec 2011 at 4:57pm
Can anybody recommend me a touch-screen smart phone with an upper budget limit of £250

No contract as I have a sim.
Must have a good battery life rating.
No size limit really.

Im doing some research myself, but I'd appreciate any suggestions. If you know a really good phone, but its slightly out of my price range, please share.

Thanks a lot,
Chris
Generic forum signature
simi_av8r View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote simi_av8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2011 at 5:02pm
on that budget, you're looking at the mid-range Samsung Galaxy series (possibly the Ace) and HTC Sensation....forget Windows Mobile and the Nokia Lumia, generally not a good showing in reviews.
Rgds, Simi
Editor of:
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2011 at 9:31pm
Quote No contract as I have a sim.

Yeah, but what's the deal on the sim? Is it on a contract or is it PAYG?

If you're going to pop it in a smartphone, where the primary use is net access, you might be better with a contract anyway to get more/cheaper data.

Or do you have a need for a specific provider?
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
Flightboy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flightboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2011 at 9:36pm
For £250 you could get a Samsung Galaxy S2 which are pretty good or get a used iphone 4? depends what your using it for. HTC have some great touchscreen phones that are well within your budget

Flightboy
Hot_Charlie View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot_Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2011 at 11:57pm
You're not going to get a Galaxy S2 for £250 (or under £350!) unless it's second hand or there's something wrong with it! The Samsung Galaxy Ace, as mentioned by simi is well within the price range you specify, but beware the cheaper Samsung Galaxys (the Ace included) as they have very limited internal storage (and a lot of apps can't be installed on the SD card by design, such as facebook and google+ for example), and don't all support flash, so you can't run apps such as BBC iPlayer.

So my recommendation, for around the £250 mark, is you take a look at the Samsung Galaxy S, a superb smart phone, the forerunner to the S2, which has dropped into the £250-300 bracket now the S2's on the market. Decent processor, loads of storage (8gb + microSD slot), great screen.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2011 at 9:09am
Yes Hotty is right, the S2 is expensive.

However... I know you said no contract, but Tesco have a deal at the moment.

Galaxy S2 which is a superb phone by the way.

300 texts
300 minutes
Unlimited Internet

£50 for the phone, and 20 quid per month.

May not be enough call time for you though.
scampy View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2011 at 12:50pm
Try the orange badged san fransico at around £100.

if you go to xda site or modaco it shows you a simple way to unlock the simlock and install better software(Which is completely legal simlocking is barely legal). its very easy to do.

The hardware is comparable to an iphone 3g with a much better quality screen, infact it feels much faster.
.......... блять
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2011 at 2:19pm
Galaxy S2 user here. If you can stretch to it then I'd highly recommend it.
The HTC Desire range should be dropping down in price now. They are pretty good.
johnsmithfsx View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnsmithfsx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2011 at 6:19pm
LG Optimus maybe? I've got a friend who's got one and he likes it. I'll probably be getting one myself. It's a decent touch-screen smartphone for a great price.
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 8:16pm
Thanks for the advice guys.  Taken a look at your suggestions Smile

My current sim is from Tesco Mobile, £10 P/M Unlimited (5000) texts 500 Mins and Unlimited (well. . .500mb) internet.  Its a great deal, very affordable, I use a lot of minutes and even more texts, so for the price its very good.  I could really do with email though, and the phone I have now is just a standard mobile so email is an absolute pain.  Ive been looking at the HTC Desire range and the Samsung Galaxy Ace.  Out of all the ones I've looked at so far, the Samsung Galaxy S2 seems the best BUT only the special offer from Tesco, which I could just about stretch to. 

Ive also been looking at Sonys Erricsons Experia Neo, looks quite nice, however bit concerned about the screen size, as some people say its very narrow, which I dont really like the sound of.  Shame because it seems like a nice phone overall in terms of features.

Thanks again guys, feel free to post some more suggestions - ill probably get something around Christmas time as I want to do some more research before I buy.

-Chris
Generic forum signature
Hot_Charlie View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot_Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by 737Chris 737Chris wrote:

Out of all the ones I've looked at so far, the Samsung Galaxy S2 seems the best BUT only the special offer from Tesco, which I could just about stretch to.

That Tesco deal seems very good for the S2. I use the Galaxy S, and email is very easy to use, either using the installed email software, or using apps for the android market...

The Gadget show are just doing a test now. Samsung's Nexus S has won the challenge overall (versus the iphone 4s, and HTC/Nokia and a couple of others latests). IMHO, and I don't like being particularly brand "loyal", but it's very hard to go far wrong with Samsung - just look how many lawsuits apple are filing against them!
767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 9:47pm
I got a new phone round about June, a LG GT540, i find it great and honestly i have not had one problem with it at all, its responsive, fast and i think ill have it for a while, however some people have mentioned HTC phones, from reviews i have read about these, these get alot of negative comments about how it does not seem compatible with most apps on the market. Also heard the same about a Galaxy model (cant remember what but sure it wasnt the S2 )

Also i recently got a great new contract with 3, Unlimited texts and internet ( and they told me with the internet it is unlimited, there is no "fair usage" policy applied to that, just the texts of 5000 ) and 500 minutes for £18p/m, obviously cheaper than what you are on now but im happy to pay the extra for the unlimited internet
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic