This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mystery traffic-listing utilities

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mystery traffic-listing utilities
    Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 11:50am
Recently my computer suffered a hard-disk failure, and as I was anyway planning a move to a new system I decided to pull that ahead, so I've been re-installing FSX + accel + add-ons on a new computer.

In my old setup there were a couple of utilities that allowed me to inspect active AI traffic - one was a spreadsheet-like text listing, the other a map a bit like atc radar. These were started from menu entries, I think under Add-ons.

I always assumed these were part of Traffic X, but I've reinstalled Traffic X + SP1, and I don't see them. Then I thought maybe it came from AISmooth, and now I've installed that, but still don't see these menu entries.

It's nothing desperate, I didn't make much use of them, I'd just be fascinated to know where they came from, I certainly don't believe I ever explicitly installed them. So if anyone can throw any light ...

thanks
Peedge
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 2:53pm
To activate the Traffic Toolbox, you must first have the Microsoft FSX SDK installed. After the SDK has been installed, the Traffic Toolbox must be activated via your dll.xml file. The dll.xml file is created when you install the SDK.

Detailed instructions on properly installing the SDK can be found at SDK Installlation (FSX).

In Windows 7 and Vista, the dll.xml file will be located at:

<Drive>:\Users\<User Account>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX

The following lines within your dll.xml file will activate the Traffic Toolbox:

<Launch.Addon>
        <Name>Traffic Toolbox</Name>
        <Disabled>False</Disabled>
        <ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
        <Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>
    </Launch.Addon>
Peedge View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 8:54pm
Many thanks for the guidance ... looking at that link I don't believe I installed the SDK right, I only installed one version, not two.

Now this is where it gets odd ... my acceleration install disk has somehow gotten damaged since I used it last, I can read the top level directory, but not any subdirectories including SDK. Tried it on my laptop as well and same symptom there.

So looking for further clues ... in my as-installed SDK directory there's a file sdk overview.html, if I open it starts "New for the SDK SP1A update" and no mention of SP2 ... so hopefully I can conclude I installed the SP1A one and still have the SP2 to do?

So, I've ordered a replacement copy Acceleration ... one more question that raises ... I note the acceleration box has a product key. The new copy will have a different key. Do you think it will be a problem installing SDK from the new disk when it doesn't match the rest of the accel installation? As I remember I only needed the key for the install of accel itself, not for the SDK, so fingers crossed that won't be an issue!
Peedge View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 8:57pm
... and Control Panel -> Programs tells me I've got SDK SP1A, so that sounds conclusive.
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2011 at 10:31pm
I'm hoping your SDK SP1A installation is okay. I'm a liittle uneasy, however, since you don't really know if the damage to your disc occurred before or after installing SDK SP1A. If there was damage before installing SDK SP1A, then the installation may be corrupt.

Can you can install SDK SP2 successfully as an addition to your current installation from the new Acceleration disc you have ordered? I really don't know. If you try, let us know how it turns out. Since your original Acceleration disc is problematic, you might want to reinstall everything from your new Acceleration disc.

Dan
Peedge View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 4:24pm
OK, so today I got my new acceleration disk, put that in the dvd drive ... and exactly the same problem ... in windows explorer I see the top level directory contents fine. But as soon as I select/try to expand a subfolder, explorer just hangs up with a busy cursor, the dvd drive sounds busy, I wait for 10 mins+ and nothing happens. The old disk I tried in another computer and got exactly the same fault so it's not a problem with my computer. And yet three weeks ago I must have gotten in to it fine cos I installed the SP1A SDK then no problems. Puzzling!

So ... I tried with a cmd shell and found I could read the SDK directory fine with cd & dir. So I started a cmd shell as administrator and ran "msiexec /i sdk.msi", that appeared to install the Accell SDK fine.

Now I went to look at dll.xml, and I've already got an entry for Traffic Toolbox, it was just the path that was wrong, looked like some default path to SDK and I'd installed to a different path. So I corrected that, and restarted FSX - still to Tools menu.

Finally I spotted that Disabled was True Embarrassed, so set that to False ... and now at last I have traffic tools!

Many thanks to you Dan, for pointing me in the right direction!

Peedge
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 7:54pm
Pat yourself on the back for making intelligent choices and for being tenacious!

Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic