This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

those pesky planes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diceflo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: those pesky planes
    Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 6:44pm
So I have a seemingly easy question. I have over 600 world of ai files and I love them and don't want to loose them. I also have Traffic X and I have run the complier to exclude the 600 packages I already have with woai. But when I load up fsx I still have a majority of traffic x planes over the woai planes. It's not a huge problem EXCEPT for those pesky "american" planes. I can't get rid of those at all and I make sure not to compile those but they keep showing up. What am I doing wrong? thanks everyone.
diceflo View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diceflo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 6:52pm
Sorry but I thought of another question. I also have 100's of afacds for add on airports. I notice that there are two sets of afacds in two different folders. Do I have to take them out of both folders so I can use my add on afcads and not traffic x ones. That's a lot of afcad work if that is the case. It never stops does it?
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by diceflo diceflo wrote:

So I have a seemingly easy question. I have over 600 world of ai files and I love them and don't want to loose them. I also have Traffic X and I have run the complier to exclude the 600 packages I already have with woai. But when I load up fsx I still have a majority of traffic x planes over the woai planes. It's not a huge problem EXCEPT for those pesky "american" planes. I can't get rid of those at all and I make sure not to compile those but they keep showing up. What am I doing wrong? thanks everyone.

I am assuming you are unchecking (unticking) "American Airlines" in the Airline Carriers column before you do your recompile.

The first question I suppose would be are you sure they are Traffic X's American Airlines planes that you are seeing?  Could they actually be WOAI ones, and you are merely mis-identifying them?

Hmmm.  I wonder if the Traffic X American Airlines planes appear in Traffic X in more than one location.  This would mean that even though you remove the check mark in the Airline Carriers column from "American Airlines", it is only removing SOME of the planes, but not all of them.  For example, if there happen to be American Airlines planes set in the United Airlines flight plans (for whatever reason that might be), then you will obviously still get American Airlines planes with your recompile.  A way to TEST this would be to uncheck ALL of the airlines and do a compile ... see what that gives you.

Sorry but I thought of another question. I also have 100's of afacds for add on airports. I notice that there are two sets of afacds in two different folders. Do I have to take them out of both folders so I can use my add on afcads and not traffic x ones. That's a lot of afcad work if that is the case.

Custom airports added to the FSX Scenery Library should be placed in the scenery library list in FSX above (higher than) "Traffic X Airport Facilities".  Alternatively, you can simply RENAME the Traffic X AFCADs.  For example, change "AFX_KLAX.bgl" to "AFX_KLAX_bgl" (note the underscore character in the renamed file).

It never stops does it?

Yep!  You've definately got that right!  I seem to spend just as much time repainting, adding, editing, removing, backing up, configuring, planes, airports, flight plans, etc as I do flying.  But it is all part of the fun.

diceflo View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diceflo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 11:55pm
I did un check american airlines before compiling and they are most definitely not traffic x planes. You can really tell the difference between the two. The biggest difference is the "mercan" name on the plane and the bad textures. Is there a folder where the mercan planes and traffic is stored so I can just delete them out. I really think that there is a problem with the compiler because this isn't supposed to happen. That is the reason for unchecking the planes and the reason that I went with traffic x over the others. Right now I am doing more editing than flying too. When it comes time to play the game, I am too tired from all the work before.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 1:36am
Yes, "Merican" is the sure giveaway.

The planes are found in the "C:\...\Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\TrafficX" folder.  But you will see that they are stored in subfolders based on the type (A320, B737, DC10, etc) and you would have to go through each of those folders and remove the relevant American Airlines texture folders and files.  Not to mention manually having to edit the respective aircraft.cfg files to remove any reference.  This would take ages.

How about trying this ...

Go to the "C:\...\Flight Simulator X\JustFlight\TrafficX\Presets\Data\Schedules\Flight Plans" folder.

Find the file "AAL.tcc" (this is the file that contains the American Airlines flight plans).

Move that file out of that folder (or rename it, or similar) so that the compiler doesn't use it.

Compile.

See what that gives you.  Note that .tcc files can be opened with an ascii text editor (such as Notepad) if you want to look inside them.  (However, be warned that I wouldn't go manually making changes in there unless you are confident that you know what you are doing.)

You could also consider making a backup copy of that "AAL.tcc" file in case you ever want to restore it back ... and then use the Traffic Control Centre FLIGHT PLANS screen to DELETE all of the scheduled flights out of the American Airlines flight plans ... SAVE the blank/empty screen ... and COMPILE.

Both of these methods should leave you WITHOUT any American Airlines planes.  If not, then there are obviously American Airlines planes lurking about in OTHER airline's flight plans screens.

====================

Just a heads up on the COMPILER ...

It does have a bug where if you disable (uncheck) the Rotorcraft box (and Gliders) on the Traffic Movements screen before doing your traffic compile, Traffic X may not compile your .BGL correctly. Specifically, you may lose all of your "heavies", and who knows what else.

For example, take a look at these threads ...

http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=9930
http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=10394

... (and I am sure there are other similar threads about this issue.)

This bug in Traffic X has not been fixed by Just Flight.

I am not suggesting this is what is causing your issue with American Airlines.  But the fact that it does have this issue might mean that it also has other idiosyncracies that are as yet still unknown.  Personally, I always leave EVERYTHING TICKED when I do my compiles, and use other methods such as the two I've described above to remove the planes (or helicopters) that I want to remove.
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 2:36pm

I really think that there is a problem with the compiler because this isn't supposed to happen.

It's easy to understand how one might think there is a problem with the compiler, but the compiler that Traffic X uses is the compiler from the Microsoft FSX SDK. Just Flight includes the compiler with Traffic X so that Traffic X can be run without the need to install the SDK. The compiler does exactly what it is supposed to do.

To eliminate all aircraft with Merican liveries, you might think you could go to ...Microsoft Flight Simulator X\JustFlight\TrafficX\Presets\Data\Aircraft, and, in the Aircraft folder, open the Aircraft.tcc file in a text editor and delete any line that contains a Merican livery. However, this will do no good since the very next time you click on the "Update Aircraft from CFGs" button on the Traffic Control Centre's Fleet Database screen, the Merican liveries will return.

It's been a long time since I eliminated Merican liveries from sight. I can't remember how I did it. I may have removed the Traffic X Merican textures and removed the references to Merican liveries from Traffic X aircraft.cfg files for each Traffic X aircraft model that contained a Merican livery.

Merican aside, in general, if you don't want to delete a specific Traffic X livery from Traffic X, yet don't want to see the Traffic X livery in FSX, and do want to see a substitute livery instead, then, for the substitute livery, be certain the ui_variation name in the aircraft.cfg file listing the substitute livery is unique so that it differs from the name that Traffic X uses. If the ui_variation name for the substitute aircraft's livery is not unique, then Trraffic X will continue to use its own livery even though you have selected the new substitute livery from the Aircraft drop-down list on the Traffic Control Centre's Flight Plans screen. Believe me, I have substituted scores of user aircraft liveries for Traffic X liveries, so I have plenty of experience with this. (Yes, I use many user aircraft as AI aircraft in substitution for Traffic X's own AI aircraft). As a convention to make the ui_variation name unique for each livery that I substitute for a Traffic X livery, I use the airline name followed by the airline's ICAO code. For example, ui_variation="Malaysia Airlines MAS"

Oh, I do remember what I did to substitute new and different liveries for Merican liveries. See my "REPLACING AIRCRAFT IN FLIGHT PLANS" posting. Below my posting, be sure to read and consider what other forum members (particularly Chuck Morse) have to say, too.

Dan
diceflo View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diceflo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 5:07pm
Well here comes the obligatory "guess what I did wrong response". I always saved my new compiled traffic files with a new name so I know which one is the most recent. After reading your suggestions that I should overwrite the trafficx bgl and not name the file something different helped clear everything up (so far). Thanks, you guys saved me from lots of frustration.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 11:21pm
Ahhhh.  I'm glad you've got it sorted.

I work in Customer Support for an I.T company and my boss keeps telling me to "Always ask the right questions".  It's good advice, and something I keep in the back of my mind as I do my work.  Hehe, I should have applied it here as well.  Smile

It was assumed that you were overwriting the TrafficX.bgl file with each compile.  It now becomes plainly obvious why you were still seeing the American Airlines planes.  Sometimes one feels silly when the answer eventually reveals itself and one realises "Why didn't I think to ask that obvious question?".  If one of the questions was "Are you overwriting the TrafficX.bgl file when you compile, or creating your own separate one?", then the reason would have easily been discovered.  Hehe.  Yep, as my boss would say "Always ask the right questions".

Anyway, the thread provided a good bit of insight for you in to some of the things you can do and try with Traffic X and also had some tips on how it works with its files.  The thread is also a reminder for people who respond to questions that we should never assume someone is doing it the same way that we are doing it ourselves.  "Always ask the right questions".
johnep View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2011 at 9:01am
"Always ask the right questions".
How true. On another forum we get lots of posters asking vague questions and then get shirty when don't get answer they want.
johnep
diceflo View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diceflo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2011 at 5:46pm
All seems to work right. I was reading that unchecking the rotocraft in the compile screen makes you loose heavies. Now what is that all about? I don't have helicopters in my fsx and I hope I don't have to have them in order for more traffic x planes to show. But I guess if I need to recompile, I will know what to do. (hahaha)
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2011 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by johnep johnep wrote:

"Always ask the right questions".  How true. On another forum we get lots of posters asking vague questions and then get shirty when don't get answer they want.
johnep

Hehehe.  I know exactly what you mean.  The trick is to decipher the original question to determine the right follow up questions to ask to extract the relevant clues and information needed to subsequently arrive at the correct answer.  It can be a real skill.

All seems to work right. I was reading that unchecking the rotocraft in the compile screen makes you loose heavies. Now what is that all about? I don't have helicopters in my fsx and I hope I don't have to have them in order for more traffic x planes to show. But I guess if I need to recompile, I will know what to do. (hahaha)

No idea on what the issue is with the helicopters and gliders and compiling.  Just remember to leave the boxes ticked when doing compiles.  If you decide you want to actually remove the Traffic X helicopters from FSX, then you'll have to manually remove/delete them from the flight plans; but, even so, you would still need to tick the box when doing the compile.  (I don't think there are any Traffic X gliders, but the same would apply.)
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 1:10am

It's easy to get rid of the Traffic X helicopters in FSX. I just moved the JFAI_BellJR, JFAI_R22, and JFAI_R44 subfolders from ...SimObjects\TrafficX to a folder outside the Microsoft Flight Simulator X folder.

Dan
diceflo View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diceflo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 12:20am
Well shoot, I compiled without the rotocraft checked, but I do have my heavies so maybe I just got lucky. I haven't noticed too much with traffic x planes because I have most of them with woai, but I have seen some traffic x heavies.

I also noticed that the concorde exists in traffic x but I never noticed it before. The question I have now is how can I add the concorde for air france and british airways. I already have those two packages with woai but of course they don't have the concorde. Is there an "easy" way to have the concorde. I promise this will be my last question (maybe) hahaha.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 8:41am

I also noticed that the concorde exists in traffic x but I never noticed it before. The question I have now is how can I add the concorde for air france and british airways. I already have those two packages with woai but of course they don't have the concorde. Is there an "easy" way to have the concorde. I promise this will be my last question (maybe) hahaha.

To add new or downloaded planes in to Traffic X you do the following:

First, if you haven't got them already, find some good Air France and British Airways Concordes ... it would be best if you can to get specific "AI" models as these will be much better on frame rates.

Second, install the planes (your Air France and British Airways Concordes) in to FSX. Basically, that involves copying the relevant folders and files in to the "C:\...\Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes" folder (usually model, sound and texture folders as well as an aircraft.cfg and a nameofplane.air file).  The Readme which came with the planes should have specific instructions, otherwise an Internet search on how to add planes in to FSX will prove helpful.

Then, after copying all of the relevant folders and files for your plane(s) in the correct FSX locations, you use the Traffic X Traffic Control Centre, go to the FLEET DATABASE screen, and click the "Update Aircraft from CFGs" button to import the aircraft in to Traffic X.  This button basically imports planes based on the settings in any new aircraft.cfg files that it finds.  After the import is done, click on the "Apply and Exit" button.

At this point, I close and then re-run Traffic X.  This lets it load everything in (including the new planes).

Now you just make flight plans for these new planes (which should be available in the usual "Aircraft Type" or "Aircraft" drop downs on the Flight Plans screen) and then compile.

For more information on doing this task, consult the Traffic X manual ... which you will find in your Windows START menu with the other Traffic X programs, or go to the "C:\...\Flight Simulator X\JustFlight\TrafficX" folder and look for the file "Manual.pdf".

diceflo View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diceflo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 4:48pm
Ok, that doesn't sound too hard to do, but can I use the models of the concorde that traffic x already has. I am trying to not add too much more additional files into fsx and those concordes take some work. Since the model already exists I thought I can just use that one. Continued thanks.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2011 at 10:19pm

Ok, that doesn't sound too hard to do, but can I use the models of the concorde that traffic x already has. I am trying to not add too much more additional files into fsx and those concordes take some work. Since the model already exists I thought I can just use that one. Continued thanks.

Ahhh, that is actually what you want to do (it wasn't very clear in the question you first posted).

Yes, it's easy.  Just use Traffic Control Centre and the FLIGHT PLANS screen.  Select them from the "Aircraft" dropdown list and add new flight plans for them (or edit their existing flight plans).  They are listed as "Aerospatiale BAC Concorde xxxxx" in the list (which is in alphabetical order, so they are right at the top).  And, of course, remember to recompile after adding new flight plans or editing existing ones.
diceflo View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote diceflo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2011 at 3:56pm
thanks a lot for the help. I will try that. I should have know that I would have to recompile after doing this addition. I really wish that when I recompile, that it would save my settings because I have to check off all the airlines that I already have with woai each time which is a lot! It almost makes me want to leave it the way it is.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2011 at 2:04am

thanks a lot for the help. I will try that. I should have know that I would have to recompile after doing this addition. I really wish that when I recompile, that it would save my settings because I have to check off all the airlines that I already have with woai each time which is a lot! It almost makes me want to leave it the way it is.

On the "Traffic Generator" screen, to SAVE the settings ... after ticking and unticking what you want ... simply right-click on a blank area (white) in the column and a little sub-menu comes up -- one of the options should be SAVE SELECTION.

On the "Traffic Movements" screen there is sadly no right-click option to SAVE SELECTION.  However, the right-click menu that is provided on this screen can still be quite helpful.  It provides options for you to "select" and "deselect" what you want.  And, the Airlines/Carriers column has a few additional selection options of its own which are indeed rather useful.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic