This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Viscount - Legends of Flight
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Viscount - Prop Pitch Settings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Viscount - Prop Pitch Settings
    Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 8:23pm
The manual makes no mention of what settings should be used for the prop pitch in different stages of flight except that the props can be put into ground pitch mode for braking effect after landing using the F2 key.  Any tips on what settings to use on start, taxi, takeoff etc please?

Andy L
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 9:17am
Hi Andy,

I've had another look through the only Viscount operations manual that we could get our hands on and unfortunately it doesn't include any prop pitch setting charts. It does include a section describing the prop/feathering system, but nothing that is easily translatable into content we could include in the manual.

If you would like the information contained in the manual, please drop us a support request and I will send it to you.

Thanks
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Jason210 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2011 at 6:25pm
I'm puzzled it even has them. Most Turboprops have automatic pitch control, even right back to the early ones.
The Viscount was powered by RR Dart engines which were "hydromatic" meaning the prop-pitch changes with the power settings. The only second set of levers I have seen in a turbo prop are condition levers, and they do not change the pitch, but the fuel flow, and usually only have two positions.
AndyUK View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyUK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2011 at 8:11pm
The documents Martyn sent me clarify things somewhat.  My original question was based on the Just Flight manual which describes the four levers on the right as the 'Propeller Pitch Levers' and the 'tool tip' pop ups in the cockpit which label them 'Propeller x Control' whereas they are apparently the HP Fuel Cocks, although they don't act as such because you can put them in the closed position and the engines keep running!

It turns out the pitch in the real aircraft is contolled automatically as you say depending on the position of the 'Throttles', the four levers on the left.

Whilst the aircraft may look nice I increasingly get the impression that the developers concentrated more on eye candy than technical accuracy and the product is like a turboprop equivalent of the 'F-Lite' jets that JF sells.

Maybe a patch is in order to correct the shortcomings identifed in the various Viscount threads in this forum.

Andy L
Jason210 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason210 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2011 at 9:18pm
Yes it would be nice to have them relabelled and function correctly as fuel valves / conditioner levers.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic