This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

No Aircraft in TrafficX

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doveyhorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: No Aircraft in TrafficX
    Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 3:30pm
I have installed TrafficX in FSX and when used as Administrator everything runs fine, airport vehicles, Aircraft, etc BUT when I run FSX as a New user on my normal setup I get airport vehicles, etc but not a single aircraft from TrafficX.

Why should the program work in one setup and not in the other?

What do I need to do to get aircraft in my normal FSX setup.

Thank you for any help given.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 9:23pm
Hmmm.  That's an interesting one.  It makes no sense that it works if you run it as Administrator, but not if you run it as another (normal) user.  It should be using the same traffic .BGL file regardless.  I gather that your FSX is installed in the "Program Files" folder (or "Program Files (x86)" folder if you have a 64-bit system)?  If yes, then I can only assume that, when run as a normal user, FSX cannot read the traffic .BGL file for some unknown reason.

To make it work on your normal account, I would just set up FSX to permanently run as Administrator.  To do that, go to the folder where FSX is, find the "FSX.exe" file, right-click on it, choose Properties, go to the Compatibility tab, and put a tick in the "Run this program as an administrator" box.  Now, every time your run FSX, it will run as Administrator and based on what you say, you should get traffic every time.

doveyhorse View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doveyhorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 1:05pm
Thanks for replying Freddy.

I have gone into the FSX.exe file and gone to the Compatability section but the 'Run as Administrator' is greyed out and thus not available.

Any tips?
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2011 at 5:39pm
Were you logged into Windows as Administrator when you tried to set up FSX to be run as Administrator?

You didn't say what operating system you are running, but here is one of several ways to enable all users to run a program as administrator while logged in as a non-administrator under Windows 7:

Note that, when logged in as a non-administrative user, you will have to provide the administrator's password when prompted.

Right click on fsx.exe and click on Properties.

Click on the Compatibility tab.

Click on "Change settings for all users."

Under "Privilege Level," check "Run this program as administrator."

Click OK.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 1:48am
Hmmm, greyed out hey ...
Originally posted by Soaranden Soaranden wrote:

Were you logged into Windows as Administrator when you tried to set up FSX to be run as Administrator?

... Soaranden is correct.  If you were already logged in via the Administrator's account, then the option for "Run this program as an administrator" will most likely be greyed out.  Obviously, in this case, log out of the Administrator's account, log back in again using the NORMAL user account, and try again.

On the other hand, if you WERE logged in with the normal user account and that option was greyed out, then a "trick" you can try is to make a SHORTCUT to the file (a shortcut to FSX.exe) and then right-click on that shortcut, go to the Compatibility tab, and see if you can tick the "Run this program as an administrator" box.  If this works, then you can copy that shortcut to where you want it (one on to desktop, another in to the Start menu, wherever else) and always run FSX using the shortcut.

Originally posted by Soaranden Soaranden wrote:

Right click on fsx.exe and click on Properties.  Click on the Compatibility tab.  Click on "Change settings for all users."  Under "Privilege Level," check "Run this program as administrator."  Click OK.

This suggestion is also a good one ... using the "Change settings for all users" option ensures that the program will always run as an Administrator, regardless of which user account you are logged in and using ... normal user, Admininstrator, etc ...
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2011 at 2:20pm
One thing I neglected to mention is that "Run this program as administrator" may be greyed out on the fsx.exe file if User Account Control (UAC) has been disabled. I am not suggesting that you enable UAC; I am merely providing an explanation for the greying out.
doveyhorse View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doveyhorse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 3:57pm
Alls well that ends well.

Followed all your excellent advise and now using the other user as Administrator.

Very many thanks to you all.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2011 at 9:28pm
Thumbs%20Up
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic