This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine sounds?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jomni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine sounds?
    Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 3:01am
Does the traffic generate sounds?  I heard the startup sounds and when the wheels touch the runway upon landing.  But other engine sounds are non-existent or faint.  Is this the way it should be?
http://jomnisgames.blogspot.com
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 11:12pm
With Traffic X, yes, the AI traffic does have its own sounds.  Engine sounds are unique from aircraft to aircraft.  For example, an Airbus spooling up for take off sounds quite different from a Boeing spooling up for taking off.  And the sound each type of aircraft makes as they zoom down the runway on their takeoff run are also unique.

The volume of the AI engine sounds should not be non-existent or faint. On my PC, they are loud enough to be heard, and heard easily ... but are not so loud that they drown out other effects such as when wheels touch the runway on landing.

There are four sound settings in FSX ... Engine, Cockpit, Environment, Voice.  I found that after installing Traffic X I had to adjust these FSX sliders to get the best combination which suited what I wanted.  Every PC is different, and every audio card or onboard audio is different, so you might get different results on different PCs.

jomni View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jomni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2011 at 1:55am
It's because I turn down engine sound to 40% because it's too loud for me to hear ATC and unrealistically loud when in the flight deck.  But it does affect external view sounds.  So it might affect AI sound as well.  Let me test.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2011 at 3:17am
Remember that you need to adjust ALL of the sliders when trying to achieve a "nice balance".  A change to one slider, can be affected by a change to a different slider.  So when you turn one up, you may find that you now need to turn another one down.  And so on and so forth.

For AI, the Environment slider is the one which provides the best effect ... it sets the volume of the "outside" things such as wind, thunderstorms. airport vehicles, AI engines, etc.

The wind rushing against the cockpit windshield as you fly a jet such as the 737 is often mistaken to be "jet engine" sound.  Nope.  Turn the Environment slider way down, but the Engines slider up, and you will quickly see the difference.

AI engines are "outside" things ... and therefore it is the Environment slider that you should adjust (upwards, if you want those louder).  But not too loud, because then other sounds (eg, airport vehicles, the wind against the cockpit windshield, etc) will get louder too.  You might then adjust the Engines slider down a little (or up a little depending on your preference) to balance it out.  But now you might find you need to adjust the Environment slider down again, a bit more.  Etc etc etc.  You just need to adjust ALL the sliders accordingly until you find that "nice balance" that you're looking for.

Here's a tip ... turn ALL of the sliders right down to, say, 10%.  Now adjust only the Environment slider.  Adjust it upwards until you are happy with the volume of the "outside" sounds.  Now adjust the Engines slider upwards, adjusting until you get the balance that you want.  Then adjust another slider upwards ... and now maybe pull one of the other ones back down a little as required to further set the right balance.  Starting with all the sliders down low (say, 10%) is a good way to understand what each slider does, and a great way to work toward the personal balance that you yourself think sounds the most realistic.
jomni View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jomni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 3:10pm
I now know what's wrong.  The sound decativates when Spotty is in slew mode!
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 2:08am
Ahhhh.  Yep, that'll do it.  Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic