This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Astronomers Must Make Funding Case

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Astronomers Must Make Funding Case
    Posted: 05 Apr 2008 at 7:51pm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/7331518.stm

Is is wrong!!! 9 Billion on the bloody Olympics, and they're cutting back the sciences for the sake of £250 million???? Priorities people.....

....oh - I forgot - the politicians have got to pay for their 2nd homes and groceries out of our taxes. DeadDeadDeadDead  Did you know they've just requested a £25,000 pay rise? If I had anything to do with it, it would be a £25,000 pay-cut, until they proved they're actually worth their salary.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2008 at 8:24pm

You may also be interested in the fact that the PM claims for his Sky TV package and TV license. They claim for all kinds of bits and pieces, as much as they can apparently.

You see, a politician’s salary is so dire that they can't even afford a TV license. What a shame, poor people, I do feel sorry for them. [NOT]

As for the Olympics, yes I do see your point, great event and all that but a pity that society doesn't attach as much importance on matters like scientific discovery, rather than favoring entertainment.

Howe do you feel about paying for the politicians entertainment Pointy?
MarkH View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2008 at 8:25pm
Vulcan do you want to be my local MP.  You have one vote already. LOL

I get fed up with MP's and Government.  Not worth the money IMHO.

Cheers
Mark
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2008 at 8:47pm
He may be our local MP!!!

Shocked
MarkH View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2008 at 9:00pm
LOL.

Unfortunately mine is Margaret Beckett, utterly useless.  Never seen her, heard her or been told what she is doing for me or the area, and her party HQ is 10mins down the road.  Even at election time our house isn't worth calling on.Confused

Cheers
Mark

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2008 at 10:29pm

Mark... you miss the point.

Have you ever seen Pointy, have you ever heard his voice?

No you haven't have you, he may be a she, and wear a dress, talk in a feminine tone and prefer a nice shade of pink for his her lipstick.

Yes, you guessed it, 'Pointy may be Margaret Beckett', it’s shocking I know but it could just be true.

But who am I?

Personally I have no idea.

MarkH View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MarkH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2008 at 10:57pm
Mmm, you make lots of sense and all seems much clearer to me now.  During the next general election, when Pointy comes round my house looking for my vote, I will politely ask her to leave as I'm not voting for her no matter how good she looks in her spandex halter top.

Cheers
Mark

VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2008 at 11:12pm
LOL

Thanks for the votes! Approve  I'd have to start a new party, and then find people whom I could trust to do a good job. It seems corruption is the name of the game at the moment, and wholly attracts the wrong kind of candidate.

Apparently HM Government pulls in £400 billion a year in taxes.

The major things that require funding are:

* Police
* NHS
* Military
* Education, Education, Education Ying%20Yang (that must be political speak for representing Primary, Secondary, and University education LOL ).

I'd give the NHS £50 billion, HM Forces another £50 billion (combined), the Police £25 billion, £75 billion to the education sector, srubbishping student loans (past and present), and reducing taxes with the rest.

I'd get rid of the stupid taxes, axe jobs in the government, cut the Civil Service down, and see what I had left over. I'd simplify the tax system, simplify the pension system etc...

I'd reduce all the salaries for those in government, make the PM pay taxes on his income, and stop the perpetual income after they've left office. Expense accounts would cease, too. With these restrictions, it might prevent the kind of people we have in office presently from considering jobs in politics. They clearly see it as a way to make easy money.

Utopian? Maybe, but I think it could be done. Actually changing it would be the hardest thing, but it would be way beyond a simple name-change.

I'd also try and cut bureaucracy as much as possible.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2008 at 9:12am
Aparently, so I'm told, they have srubbished university fees in Scotland

Pity my son didn't apply for a place in Scotland then.

Vote Pointy!

You know it makes sense!

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic