This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

[exits] and performance

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: [exits] and performance
    Posted: 13 Sep 2011 at 9:40am
Yeah, I didn't expect much of a performance gain (or drop) by commenting out the [exits] sections.  But I guess its like everything in FSX ... a little bit here, a little bit there, a trade-off here, a trade-of there ... the more changes we make, sooner or later something will have to give.
Peedge View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 2:42pm
I've now tried this at 5 different large airports and I'm not seeing a significant difference in FPS.

I'll carry on running with [exits] commented out for the time being, see if I notice any subjective reduction in stuttering etc.
Peedge View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2011 at 11:44am
Thanks for the feedback Freddy. I run with scenery complexity "extremely dense", traffic 100%, and I tend to be flying in and out of major hubs, so I'll carry on with the experiment and let you know how I get on.

Sorry about the font, don't know what happened there ... actually for me it looks a little smaller than the usual ...

Paul
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2011 at 1:16am
Woah, large font.  Ugly.  NickN's "Bible" is an extremely handy and useful tweaking document.  It provides not just a valuable list of suggested FSX performance tweaks, but also how and why each of the tweaks (apparently) works.  Many people swear by it.  However, do note that there are also those who suggest NOT to tweak FSX at all.  I am one of those people.  In the past, I have used NickN's "Bible" and tried many of the suggestions ... as well as many other suggestions along the way from various forums etc ... but my results have often been non-existent (no performance gain at all), or, in some cases, worse performance than before I started.  My FSX runs best for me if I simply have NO TWEAKS at all and just leave it alone to manage itself and work as per the original code base written by the Microsoft Aces team.

However, whilst I do not use any tweaks, I still consider NickN's document a "Bible" because it does provide insights in to how FSX and its code base works.  NickN's explanations are clear and provide valuable discussion on various elements of the sim and its operation.  After all, NickN was there.  Here was part of that Aces team.  So his understanding of such things comes first-hand.

The information NickN provides about gate/jetway calculations is valuable information.  It hasn't caused me to try commenting out the [exits] section in any aircraft.cfg files though.  In fact, I have actually ADDED gate/jetway parameters in to some of my aircraft.cfg files.  But I've done that only for AI planes which I've downloaded from the Net where those parameters were missing.  I've not done this for any of the Traffic X aircraft.  And, as I said, nor have I removed any gate/jetway parameters for any of the Traffic X aircraft.

You are correct in your assumption that this just affects the connection of aircraft to jetways at gates.

One should also consider the NUMBER OF GATES/JETWAYS at each airport.  At a large International airport, there will generally be a lot of gates.  But, not so many at a smaller regional airport, and none at a bush airport.  Note that the NUMBER of gates shown in the sim is dependant on where the SCENERY COMPLEXITY slider is set.  You get about 25% of the gates/jetways if the Scenery Complexity is set to "Dense", about 50% if it is set to "Very Dense" and 100% if set to "Extremely Dense".  So, if you have 100% gates/jetways and every AI plane set with [exit] sections, then the performance in the sim will be different from when you have 25% of gates/jetways and every AI plane set with [exits] sections.  The point I am making is that while you might consider commenting out the [exits] sections for AI planes, you should also consider where your Scenery Complexity slider is set and thus the number of gates/jetways your sim is showing.  It would make no sense to comment out all the [exits] sections if your Scenery Complexity slider is set below the "Dense" setting (because there will be no gates/jetways showing in the sim).

Personally, I don't think you will gain all that much performance if you comment out the [exits] sections.  Perhaps only 1 or 2 FPS if you're lucky.  However, performance does vary from PC to PC and what works well on one PC is not necessarily going to work well on another PC.  NickN even explains that in his "Bible".

The way to find out is to experiment.  And I see from your post in the "Traffic X Airport Facilities" thread that you don't mind doing this kind of experiment.  If you do try it, I would be interested in your findings (post them here).  Any findings you post won't personally cause me to change or comment out my [exits] sections, it would just be nice to know.
Peedge View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peedge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 3:26pm

I just noticed some interesting information on the impact of the 'exits' section in AI aircraft configs on performance in the following posting from NickN:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/setting-up-fsx-and-how-to-tune-it_topic29041.html

I quote: "If the SCENERY COMPLEXITY slider is set to 3/4 or higher the sim will automatically scan a radius around the aircraft for all gates at every airport around you and not only calculate the jetways but update that information constantly. The gate/jetway calculations are based on the EXIT section of the aircraft configuration files. If the EXITS for AI aircraft are not in their configuration files the sim will skip those calculations".

So, I was thinking of trying commenting out the [exits] sections in all the TrafficX aircraft.cfg files, to see if that gives me a measurable improvement in performance. My assumption is this just affects the connection of aircraft to jetways at gates ... ?

I just wondered if anyone else might have tried this already? Any feedback, success/drawbacks found?

Regards

Paul

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic