This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Traffic X Vanishes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Traffic X Vanishes
    Posted: 23 Aug 2011 at 1:09pm
Quote The resolution was to uninstall ( from W7) trafficx. Then a reinstall.  Interestinly during the re-install and re boot, FSX detected the old traffic files which were in my applications FSX folder on my o/s drive and produced a "duplicate file" error. I had to delete them manually.
All seems well now.

Interesting.  I'm glad you've got it working (again).  Smile

Quote Your last two points are good. I did not check if the TrafficAircraft.bgl had been renamed or named back after the uninstall. Good one that!

Yes, that one is definitely handy to know.

Quote I guess I am a little on the paranoid side ...

Hehe, I can relate to that.

Quote Its a good add on Traffic-X, especially if you grow to understand it!

Traffic X does have it's few niggles here and there, but most of these can be fixed with a bit of patience and a willingness to dive in and have a bit of a go.  Growing to understand it, as you say.  Doing that may not necessarily be for everybody ... and that's fine ... it works well enough just installing it and enjoying all the AI traffic ... but for those that do venture a little further in to it, taking the time to work with it, adding/editing/deleting AI traffic, learning its idiosyncrasies, and maybe even pushing it outside and beyond its intended boundries (I've personally learnt a trick or two along the way), then it certainly can and does reward you.
Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 8:37pm
Cheers Freddy.

I ran the Traffic BGLcheck tool, no errors.
I ran the other tool to "re-point" cfg to Traffic. No joy.

The resolution was to uninstall ( from W7) trafficx. Then a reinstall.  Interestinly during the re-install and re boot, FSX detected the old traffic files which were in my applications FSX folder on my o/s drive and produced a "duplicate file" error. I had to delete them manually.

Your last two points are good. I did not check if the TrafficAircraft.bgl had been renamed or named back after the uninstall. Good one that!

My suspicions are similar to yours. Some thing installed a 2004 BGL, yet the repair tool did not find it.

No matter I removed all the old files and reinstalled. All seems well now.

I guess I am a little on the paranoid side, with the latest add on ( F1 Mustang) Its a superb simulation, ( only for FSX,) yet it seems very resource intensive. Even on my PC, which is no old slouch! I have had some CTD's with it ( never had those before on this PC, with this installOuch )

Anyway, ta for the info.

Its a good add on Traffic-X, especially if you grow to understand it!

Cheers.
Herky 
You Tube at HERKY231 or David Herky

freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2011 at 1:55am
I'll take some GUESSES at what MIGHT be happening here:

Quote The only thing I can think of is each time it vanished, was after installing an aircraft add on. First the Caranedo Caravan (JF) then the F1 Mustang

1) You are right to check where the FSX.cfg file is "pointing" to.  Perhaps the Caranedo Caravan and/or the F1 Mustang are changing that somehow so that the Traffic X pointer in the .cfg is lost or changed?

A good test would be ... get Traffic X working ... take a BACKUP COPY of the FSX.cfg file ... install aircraft addon ... see if Traffic X planes disappear. If they do, then COMPARE the FSX.cfg file with the BACKUP COPY that you made to see if the pointer(s) have changed.  Add/edit FSX.cfg as required and see if the Traffic X planes return.

2) This one's a long-shot ... but perhaps this aircraft addon is installing an old FS2004 format traffic database file?  I do not know why an aircraft would install a traffic database file, but, as we know, FSX is only capable of running one legacy BGL file from older versions of Flight Simulator and having one running will cause ALL other AI traffic to be suppressed including river/sea traffic and Traffic X.  Therefore, if the aircraft addon is installing an old FS2004 format traffic database file, then your traffic would all disappear.

A good test would be ... get Traffic X working ... install aircraft addon ... see if Traffic X planes disappear.  If they do, then uninstall aircraft addon and see if the Traffic X planes return.

Also, you could try the "TrafficX_BGLcheck.exe" tool from the Traffic X FAQ page (Traffic X FAQ page).

Quote Additionally when I uninstalled Traffic X, prior to reinstalling it, there was no default traffic either? With sliders at 100%, still absolutely no traffic? Right clicking on the screen, in FSX, displayed no Aircraft flying?

Interesting.  Here is a README.TXT file I made for myself a while ago ...

=====================
To get rid of the default FSX AI traffic, go to your Scenery/World/Scenery folder and rename the file "TrafficAircraft.bgl" to "TrafficAircraft._bgl". (Note that the Traffic X installation should have automatically done this for you.)

If you ever uninstall Traffic X and want to reinstate the default FSX traffic, do the exact opposite ... go to your Scenery/World/Scenery folder and rename the file "TrafficAircraft._bgl" back to "TrafficAircraft.bgl".  (Note that UNINSTALLING Traffic X should have automatically done this for you.)
=====================

Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2011 at 11:08am
Here's a strange one. I wonder if anyone else has seen it.

I have used Traffic X without any problems for years. Its installed on a SSD, as is FSX and Airhauler, nothing else (apart from JF phototscenery).

The last couple of months all my traffic has suddenly vanished, on two occasions. A recompile of the Traffic.bgl did not work. The Traffic line in the cfg was still there. I had to reinstall Traffic X on both occasions. I used both the JF tools to check for duplicate bgl's and re "point" the cfg file to "Traffic X", with no joy.

The only thing I can think of is each time it vanished, was after installing an aircraft add on. First the Caranedo Caravan (JF) then the F1 Mustang.  Perhaps the "Trim" function that works only on the SSD is in some way, corrupting the FSX install? Since there is very little writeing going on to the SSD, other than Airhauler data, there should not be any data loss, or is thereConfused?

Additionally when I uninstalled Traffic X, prior to reinstalling it, there was no default traffic either? With sliders at 100%, still absolutely no traffic? Right clicking on the screen, in FSX, displayed no Aircraft flying?

Another mystery?

Just thought I would post this here, if anyone has any ideas, or has had the same issues?

Cheers
Herky.
You Tube at HERKY231 or David Herky

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic