This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Riots!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 3:48pm
Don't get me wrong. That's not how Police should be behaving under normal circumstances, or even under "normal" circumstances of civil unrest (one night of student protests etc) as people who have simply been unwittingly caught up in events will be there. When you are talking about a prolonged series of extremely violent events that have been preceded by a warning both to keep off the streets and that serious measures will be taken by the Police then I think you have to let the Police off of the leash somewhat, otherwise the perpetrators won't get the message that they aren't in control of the streets, the Police are.     
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by the friend formerly known as Magic Man that abandoned his best buddy the friend formerly known as Magic Man that abandoned his best buddy wrote:

I don't know, could Cameron have come back sooner? Obviously he had no way of knowing that it was going to kick off to that scale so probably thought the first couple of nights were just an initial over-reaction, as soon as it escalated I think he made all plans to get back as soon as he could.

Magic Man... how dare you circumvent my devious plan to unnecessarily mutate this topic into an outlet for my distaste of Cameron. Stern%20Smile

I feel positively abandoned by my best forum buddy.

I really hoped you would support my totally biased and unreasonable viewpoint. Wink

UberAegis View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UberAegis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 7:22pm
Totally agree RAS. If the police used that force when stopping a motorist for speeding for example they should have the book thrown at them, but in a riot a couple of taps with a baton is definitely reasonable force. the ipcc should look at the context of their actions and say no case to answer instead of giving more amm to the bleeding hearts groups. regards
If the wings are moving faster than the fuselage you`re in a helicopter and therefore unsafe
Concorde216 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Concorde216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2011 at 7:47pm
Okay, I after reading the papers and watching the news on TV I come up with the following;

First off, I hope that each and every single one of the idots who were involved in the rioting and looting, get the big book thrown at them, no matter what age.  I was shocked to hear that one mother took her kid to the local Argos store to grab what they could grab.  Seeing the footage of the Malaysian who was badly injured being helped up by people acting as though they cared for his well being, then decided to rob him and leave still badly injuredAngry.

Credit due to the Met for doing all they could in these horrible circumstances, they did their utmost to protect innocent people.  If a rioter or looter got hurt by a Police Officer wacking them with their trunchen, then touhg luck, they should not have committed the offence in the first place.

Now, the subject of using the water canons and rubber bullets etc.  I suggest we give the Police the chance to fight fire with fire and provide them with Flame Throwers insteadThumbs%20Up

Or if the above is not viable (can't imagine why not!), I suggest we bring in a Payback Law. Whereby, the victims have the right to do what was done to them, back at the convicts but twice as badThumbs%20Up.

Problems solved.

Concorde216
"All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics. TSR-2 simply got the first three right." - Sir Sydney Camm
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 9:05am
I like your suggestions Concy!

But May I suggest an alternative staregy...

Once convicted of rioting/looting, an electronic device is placed in the brain. Then, at a moments notice, if you or I feel the need, we can tap a key on our PC keyboards, and their brains explode like over inflated balloons.

Would that be too extreme? Not sure.

My son was saying yesterday, that Nottingham council are planning to evict those convicted of looting/rioting. Not sure of the legality of that, I would have thought making someone homeless would be prohibited by law.

This was it, but warning... it did come from the "Daily Fail".

A fresh wave of councils  yesterday announced that they would kick out tenants convicted of rioting.

And Work and Pensions  Secretary Iain Duncan Smith ordered plans to be drawn up to remove benefits from those found guilty of violent disorder.

Too be honest, the above doesn't sit comfortably with me. We may want the evil whatsits to suffer... but isn't it the job of the courts to way up all the evidnce and exact the penalty.

Surely it's not the job of local councils to administer the punishment they fancy as well.

It's the job for a judge and jury.

And where would the homeless miscreants go? Adding to the homelss on the streets perhaps? What kind of sollution is that?

I think it's perhaps an ill considered knee jerk reaction.

Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 9:13am
All evicting them will mean is they get moved out of one house and into another council house in another council district outside of London. I bet the London councils will be strongly backing the proposal!
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 9:21am
It's not just London, it's Nottingham and many other councils.

But what purpose will that serve?

We don't want this idiot, so here, another council can have him.

shuffling the perpetrators around from one council to the next is a waste of time and money.

It's a knee jerk overreaction.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 9:28am
Quote But there are fears that evicting council house tenants is likely to mean the culprits will simply move to another area and join the housing list there. Officials were unable to say yesterday how they would prevent this.

Huh! Is it me or is that utterly illogical?

Of course they'll join another authorities housing list. What the hell do they expect them to do. Get a cardboard box from Tesco's and live in the park? Or perhaps vanish into thin air and not exist at all?

Don't get me wrong, I don't care if a Klingon beams down from a Bird of Prey, and vapourises them... but it seems to me to be a totally unworkable strategy.

David Cameron was quizzed about the proposal during a Commons debate on Thursday.

Labour's Kevin Barron told him: "Removing people for unacceptable behaviour from social houses, for them to be put into other communities and taking that unacceptable behaviour with them, does not solve the problems."

Absolutely correct!
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 11:06am
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 1:22pm
oh%20how%20I%20laughedBig%20smile 

Like I sad Slopey... they should get the army in.
Concorde216 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Concorde216 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2011 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

I like your suggestions Concy!

But May I suggest an alternative staregy...

Once convicted of rioting/looting, an electronic device is placed in the brain. Then, at a moments notice, if you or I feel the need, we can tap a key on our PC keyboards, and their brains explode like over inflated balloons.

Would that be too extreme? Not sure
I don't think so, though I think my next suggestion may be.

All those convicted are put on a prison ship and towed out in the North Sea/Atlantic (your choice) and once all the crew and POs are off in ALL the lifeboats, scuttle it!Thumbs%20Up

It will help with Prison over-crowding...food for thought!
Concorde216
"All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics. TSR-2 simply got the first three right." - Sir Sydney Camm
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 10:52am
Looks like the police aren't too happy with Cameron's latest notion.

Does Cameron think first before suggesting such notions!?

England riots: Police hit out at 'supercop' Bill Bratton plan

Sir%20Hugh%20Orde Sir Hugh Orde said violence levels in the US were different to those in the UK

• UK police chiefs have reacted sceptically to plans for US "supercop" Bill Bratton to advise the government.

David Cameron has called for the former New York police chief to help address violence in English cities.

Association of Chief Police Officers' head Sir Hugh Orde said: "I am not sure I want to learn about gangs from an area of America that has 400 of them."

There have been no reports of unrest this weekend, as extra police numbers have been maintained on city streets.

Speaking to the Independent on Sunday, Sir Hugh, president of the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo), said: "It seems to me, if you've got 400 gangs, then you're not being very effective.

"If you look at the style of policing in the States, and their levels of violence, they are fundamentally different from here.

"What I suggested to the home secretary is a more sensible approach, maybe to look across far wider styles of policing and - more usefully - at European styles; they, like us, are bound by the European Convention.

Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 11:13am
But why not listen to him, where is the harm in getting as much advice as you can get, whether it's directly comparable or orders of magnitude differrent?

Yes, they may have many more gangs than us by why does that mean his advice can not be useful? They don't run as one huge police force but rather as numerous departments/precints/divisions etc. based in various sizes of communities - surely they have much in common with our city based police forces?
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 11:17am
Magic Man... I've told you before, when it comes to my attempts to trash Cameron, you must comply.

Agree with me or else. Stern%20Smile
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 11:23am
Yes, they may have many more gangs than us by why does that mean his advice can not be useful?

Because they have 400 gangs, so their methods are crap, they aren't working. Big%20smile

But why not listen to him, where is the harm in getting as much advice as you can get, whether it's directly comparable or orders of magnitude differrent?

So what point is there in getting advice that's orders of magnitude different to that required?

And remember... you must comply with my demands. And join the plot to trash Cameroooooooooon
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 11:36am
Okay, I've changed my mind.

He believes in bringing the National Guard. Big%20smile So I can't argue, he agrees with MartinW's stance in regard to our riots, that many of you guys disagreed with.

The LAPD learned tactics like bringing in large numbers of police officers, and the national guard, making a huge number of arrests to show their strength.

I think advice form Bratton is an awesome idea. Wink 
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

It's not just London, it's Nottingham and many other councils.

But what purpose will that serve?

We don't want this idiot, so here, another council can have him.

shuffling the perpetrators around from one council to the next is a waste of time and money.

It's a knee jerk overreaction.

I wouldn't call it over-reaction as much as completely ill-thought out.

Kicking them out of their existing housing would serve no useful purpose, and would just make them homeless, and make any negative thoughts they already hold against society greater.

Cameron's plan is to kick them out of *cheap* housing into *privately operated more expensive rental accommodation*. I wonder who owns these companies that are set to benefit from this? People have already forgotten that many of these people are on housing benefit, so the higher cost of private housing doesn't actually affect them in the first place.

What we need are more prisons, and tougher sentences. If someone sees they will get a year in jail for looting they may think twice before doing it. As it is, they get 1 day, and don't even do that due to the time they were held in custody!

Regarding this so-called "super cop" - first of all, there is no such thing. Second, the gangs in the US are significantly different to the gangs we have over here. The US gangs are generally more violent, more likely to have access to serious fire power, and they aren't afraid to use it, either. They also make some areas off-limits to Police. If you remember the problems in LA, they needed a 24/7 army presence to deal with their problems, as the gangs were committing a small-scale war.

Compare that to the gangs here that generally don't have access to serious fire power, generally only steal things, and generally go after those they perceive to be vulnerable. As far as I know, there isn't anywhere that is off-limits to Police. They also tend to do it for quite different reasons. As a result, the way we need to deal with things is very different.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2011 at 7:31pm
Vulcan, what a very sensible and reasonable post! Shocked Wink

Agree with everything you wrote above!
Hilarious headline in the Daily Mail. Sign everyone up who was convicted for rioting for nation service and train them how to handle riots. Just what we need - yobs trained in the art of rioting
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 8:18am
Vulcan's sensible clone can be mightily impressive.

the only thing I would say, is that more prisons are a great idea, we all want that, but they have to be paid for. The money has to come from somewhere.
dan_s View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dan_s Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2011 at 10:42pm
Martin I would be happier knowing my tax that I pay is going towards a new prison to put the scum of Britain in rather than a bunch of scrounging immigrants that hate this country. But one can only wish cant they . . .
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
  Share Topic