This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Create a Repaint: Where can i find blank Textures?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Create a Repaint: Where can i find blank Textures?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maukro_1990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Create a Repaint: Where can i find blank Textures?
    Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 10:43am
Hello,

i just wanna create a new repaint. It´ll be a fictional Airline (my own^^)....! I started the Traffic Paint X programm and i tried to create a new livery. After i clicked on ´´use predefined Template Texture´´ becouse i thought, that i get blank, all white, textures for painting. But it wasn´t so!!! My new livery was there, but not with blank textures. How can i get blank, all white textures? What did i wrong? Who can help me, please?

Greetings from germany,

maukro_1990
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 11:39am
You have to make your own.  Here's how I do it ...

First, go to the aircraft that you want to work on (say, the A320) and use the "ADD NEW LIVERY" button to add your fictional airline's details.  Don't worry about what texture is shown.  That doesn't matter at this point.  Just add the details.

Now, after that, still in the A320 list, find the livery in the list which is the "most white".  The "most white" A320s are probably the Air France model and the Finnair model.  These have a lot of white.  Choose one and select it.  Click on "EXPORT TEXTURE" and save the livery (to a temporary location such as the Desktop).  Now open this exported livery in your favorite editor (eg, PhotoShop) and start painting it to make it ALL white.  So, in the case of the Finnair model, you would paint the tail white and also remove the word "Finnair" off the fuselage.

Often, you may have to EXPORT several of the "most white" textures so that you can combine (cut and paste) parts from each to make your "white" model.  For example, the Finnair engines are BLUE ... but the Air France engines are not.  In this case, export BOTH textures (use different filenames).  After you paint the Finnair tail white and remove the word "Finnair" off the fuselage, you would then just need to cut and paste the Air France engines in to your work, thus leaving you now with a complete, fully white model.  SAVE THE FULLY WHITE MODEL.

After saving the fully white model that you have just made, only then can you really start editing.  As you do your editing, remember to use SAVE AS so that you KEEP your white model as a backup in case you make a mistake.

Up to this point, because you EXPORTED a texture, you have been editing the texture (with PhotoShop) OUTSIDE the Repaint tool.  You could have even closed the Repaint tool as you did your work.  Note that I leave the default editing program in the Repaint tool as "MSPAINT".  There's no need to change that ... because we've been using Photoshop ... but "MSPAINT" will still have it's own part to play as explained below.

When it is time to put your work back in to the Repaint tool, flatten or combine your image so that it is just one layer.  In the Repaint tool, go to the airline list (in our example, the A320 list) and select your own newly created fictional airline that you made at the beginning.  Click the "EDIT SELECTED LIVERY TEXTURE" button.  This opens "MSPAINT".  Don't worry about what texture it is showing you.  That doesn't matter.  Just CUT (or COPY) your work from PhotoShop and PASTE it in to "MSPAINT"; straight over the top.  It's then just a simple matter of closing "MSPAINT" and clicking SAVE when prompted.  The Repaint tool does the rest and the work appears in the Repaint tool.  Click "FINISHED".  You're done.

After all this, remember if you want to make flight plans for your new repaint that you will need to run the Traffic Control Centre and use the "FLEET DATABASE" screen and the "UPGRADE AIRCRAFT FROM CFGs" button to pull your repaint in to Traffic X's database.

========================

Of course, you do not have to start with or make a fully white texture if you do not want to.  You can of course just EXPORT any one of the textures and then paint your fictional airline work straight over the top of that.  The same procedures discussed above still work ... except you just skip the steps for making a white texture to start from.  Personally though, I always make a white texture first.  I just find it easier that way.

maukro_1990 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maukro_1990 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2011 at 2:17pm
Hey,

thank´s for your fast answer ;-)...! I´ll try your suggestion but isn´t there an easier method to get a white texture? Maybe a download for example?

freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2011 at 11:07am
Originally posted by maukro_1990 maukro_1990 wrote:

... isn´t there an easier method to get a white texture? Maybe a download for example?

If you are painting the Traffic X planes, then, no, there is no easier method or download (that I am aware of).  You either have to make/create your own white model as I described, or else you just have to over-paint an existing livery, going over the top of it as you paint.

If, on the other hand, you are painting the default FSX planes (the default FSX 737 for example), then you're in luck.  There *ARE* white versions of the default planes installed in FSX.  These, obviously, are there specifically for users to use when doing repaints.  However, the FSX models are based on an earlier method for designing and "building" planes and therefore the Traffic X Repaint tool is of no use for doing these.  It cannot open the file formats used with these models.  Instead, for painting the default FSX models (and other models made using the same older methods), you need to use a different tool which can open the file formats and thus paint the models.  I use "DXTbmp" available from the MWGraphics website.  (Direct link: DXTBmp -16 bit Editing for CFS2/FS2000).  This program is perfect for working with FSX's default models even though it only says FS2000, FS2002.

But, for Traffic X, the Repaint tool is the way to go.  Sadly, if you want to start with a blank, white model, then you have to make your own.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic