This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Life of Muhammad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Life of Muhammad
    Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 2:44am
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b012mkg5/The_Life_of_Muhammad_The_Seeker/
Originally posted by BBC BBC wrote:

In a ground-breaking first for British television, this three-part series presented by Rageh Omaar charts the life of Muhammad, a man who - for the billion and half Muslims across the globe - is the messenger and final prophet of God.

In a journey that is both literal and historical, and beginning in Muhammad's birthplace of Mecca, Omaar investigates the Arabia Muhammad was born into - a world of tribal loyalties and polytheistic religion.

Drawing on the expertise and comment of some of the world's leading academics and commentators on Islam, the programme examines Muhammad's first marriage to Khadijah and how he received the first of the revelations that had such a profound effect both on his life, and on the lives of those closest to him.

Part 2:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b012rylw/The_Life_of_Muhammad_Holy_Wars/

ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 9:27am
If I received a revelation would people believe me? Wink
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 9:49am
If you can turn my bottle of water into banana milkshake then we can talk!
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 10:33am
I'm focusing all my neural energy now.

Standby for water transmutation.

After the transmutation process is complete, I would suggest you ask MartYn Northall to test it first... just in case.

Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 8:11pm
Not if you had nothing to show for it. Wink
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 10:22am
What did he have to show for it?

How did he prove his "revelation" was a real message from god, rather than just something he claimed?
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 7:19pm
The miracle of the message he preached, the actual content of the Qur'an, his character.  
Flightboy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flightboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 7:43pm
Is this the one Iran was making threats saying it was a twisted western view of their "peaceful religion"? ( only Iran could do pull doing that off )

Flightboy
Flightboy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flightboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2011 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by RAS RAS wrote:

On a more believable topic i have never got why people like banana milkshake NEVER have i tasted one that tastes anything even close to a banana

Flightshake
767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 8:32am
Originally posted by Flightboy Flightboy wrote:

On a more believable topic i have never got why people like banana milkshake NEVER have i tasted one that tastes anything even close to a banana

Flightshake

i can honestly say i have had a banana milkshake that tasted like a banana but never came across a strawberry milkshake that tastes like strawberries! Big%20smile
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Odai Odai wrote:

The miracle of the message he preached, the actual content of the Qur'an, his character.  

What in the Qur'an, couldn't have come from the human imagination?

The message preached by Buddhists is rather impressive too - Buddha wasn't a god.
Lots of texts have impressive content - they don't profess to be from god.
Lots of human beings have good character.
FSaddict View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 10:05am
Originally posted by 767nutter 767nutter wrote:

Originally posted by Flightboy Flightboy wrote:

On a more believable topic i have never got why people like banana milkshake NEVER have i tasted one that tastes anything even close to a banana Flightshake

i can honestly say i have had a banana milkshake that tasted like a banana but never came across a strawberry milkshake that tastes like strawberries! Big%20smile

Ive done both. (mainly because I made them myself) [/thread derailment]
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 11:28am
It's true that most don't taste too much like a real banana. It is a nice taste in itself though. If they just called it Yellow Milk then I'd still drink it. 
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 11:53am
So nobodys made an actual banana milkshake, with real bananas?  Tastes pretty close! Smile

That Nesquik stuff, or however you spell it, that tastes like death. . .
Generic forum signature
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 11:58am
Can't beat a pint of icecream in a glass with some mashed up bananas.
Flightboy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flightboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 1:47pm
i dont like bits in my drinks Disapprove tho crusha strawberry i always think is pretty close taste wise esp when you use as much of it as i do Tongue

Flightboy
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 2:51pm
What in the Qur'an, couldn't have come from the human imagination?

All of it. The verse, the rythm (why has Arabic been kept alive for so long?). The scientific, mathematical, numerical and historical miracles in the text. And the literary aspect of it.

That, and the perfection of the religion itself, the change it brought to man.  
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 4:12pm
Sorry my friend, I wouldn't subscribe to your point of view.

What scientific, mathematical, numerical and historical miracles? What is so miraculous that it couldn't have come from the human brain?

I see two possibilites...

a) A magical being that created the entire universe passed the information on to Muhammad.

b) Muhammad generated the content himself.

Which is most likely?

You sell your fellow species short. The brain: 100 billion neurones, more possible connections than elementary particles in the known universe, the most complicated arrangement of matter we know of... and easily capable of generating the content of the Qur'an. No need to summon up the intervention of a magical being.

Your religion tells you to believe this and religion is the required suspension of rational thought.

However, as a free thinking human being you are entitled to believe what you like, and I respect that right, above is just my viewpoint.

Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 4:40pm
By that reasoning then couldn't Feynman diagrams or the Dirac equation etc also be considered miraculous or divine, despite their agnosticism? 
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2011 at 12:54am
When Einstein said "God doesn't play dice", does he mean that nothing in the Universe is chance, or that God doesn't exist because things in nature happen randomly?

Best regards,
Vulcan.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic