This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Life of Muhammad

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 10:30pm
Quote I have absolute faith in my arguments. What I was referring to is your silly repetition of:

And it surprises me that you intend to be a physicist.

Actually there's nothing "silly" about it at all. You are accepting such a concept based on so called evidence that science would never accept.

Do you really think if there was an absolute proof that every single person believed in, there would be any atheists?

There's no absolute proof of anything. Absolute proof is impossible. Therefore we have to consider plausibility. And the plausibility that the Quran, was passed on to Muhammad via a "magical" being is extremely low. The very notion is utterly fantastical and somewhat primitive. Now that sir is "silly". Wink

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 10:42pm
UnhappyWhich is obviously a personal remark. Ignore the ignorance in that statement, and it is still annoying that you continue repeating that when I have made no personal remarks regarding yourself.

No sir, I have gone out of my way to not offend. It's not an insult of any kind, I really do find it strange that someone who wishes to be a physicist should cling so dearly to an illogical concept, thats not associated with evidence that any scientific body would find acceptable.

If there was any real evidence at all in the Quran of the existence of god, then not just those of the Islamic faith [biased]... but every  agnostic scholar, or theology expert, every historian, every intellectual would be throwing their arms in the air and shouting the fact from the highest rooftop.

You will note, it's only those of the Islamic faith that do so, no impartial scholar who has studied the Quran beilves in the so called miracles.

You've got it backwards. Atheism is due to lack of evidence that there is a God. So there's nothing to consider

I hope you are joking! I can provide you with plenty of material to study, from the Likes of Bertrand Russel, Richard Dawking, great philosophers, etc, etc. You can study the philosophical premise of god's non existence.

You were indoctrinated with your own beliefs regarding religion.

By who?

No Odai, I certainly wasn't indoctrinated. My opinions have been formed by myself, based on consideration of ALL of the religious premises.

You are set in your own ways.

I am not at all set in my ways. You forget, I am not a youngster like you. Throughout my adult life my views have changed. I have had no difficulty changing my opinion over the years after contemplation. Unlike you of course, who was fed the Islamic faith since you were knee high to a grasshopper with minimal if any of the other concepts.

For example, your clear rejection of logical evidence repeatedly, with no sound arguments. That is so typical of someone totally set in their ways.

A fascinating opinion. But actually you haven't presented any plausible evidence. Only claims form biased interpretations.  

Logical evidence you say... well what do you think an agnostic, unbiased professor would say to your so called evidence. I know, do you?

The sources I've linked to however, don't have ulterior motives. Their only motives being to inform people about what they perceive (correctly) to be miracles in the Qur'an.

Of course they do Odai, of course they do. They are totally biased, they are members of the Islamic faith. You are relying on translations that are known to be problematic.

An Arabic word may have a range of different meanings depending on the context, making an accurate translation extremely difficult. What you end up with is a biased interpretation that says exactly what the interpreter wants it to say.

If you want a true interpretation, look for a scholar who is not of the Islamic faith, look for a scholar who has no vested interest in proving the existence of god. look for a scholar who is unbiased.

Thats enough for me, for now, my back feels like its been hit with a baseball bat. Unhappy 
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2011 at 11:43pm
It's quite easy to see how the difficulty of translation leaves plenty of scope for the interpretor to interpret the text how he wishes. rather than the true intended meaning.

The task of translation is not an easy one; some native Arab-speakers will confirm that some Qur'anic passages are difficult to understand even in the original Arabic. A part of this is the innate difficulty of any translation; in Arabic, as in other languages, a single word can have a variety of meanings.[3] There is always an element of human judgment involved in understanding and translating a text. This factor is made more complex by the fact that the usage of words has changed a great deal between classical and modern Arabic. As a result, even Qur'anic verses which seem perfectly clear to native speakers accustomed to modern vocabulary and usage may not represent the original meaning of the verse.

The original meaning of a Qur'anic passage will also be dependent on the historical circumstances of the prophet Muhammad's life and early community in which it originated. Investigating that context usually requires a detailed knowledge of Hadith and Sirah, which are themselves vast and complex texts. This introduces an additional element of uncertainty which can not be eliminated by any linguistic rules of translation.

Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

I'm afraid selecting a favored web site, and a favored translation does not constitute plausible evidence.

Completely disagree.

Favoured website or not, it doesn't matter. As the author hasn't distorted the original message, bias is irrelevant.

And it's hardly a "favoured" translation. I've given you links to a widely accepted and highly respected English translation of the Quran. Like I said, you can check that if for some reason you think I'm making this stuff up.

Quote Translation of the Quran has always been a problematic and difficult issue in Islamic theology. Since Muslims revere the Qur'an as miraculous and inimitable, they argue that the Qur'anic text cannot be reproduced in another language or form.

I don't think the latter part of that claim is accurate.

But let's assume it is anyway; you do realise that there are hundreds of millions of people that know Arabic? So translation is a non-issue. Vast numbers of Muslims know Arabic, the original language of the Qur'an, as their native tongue. And they still believe the Qur'an is miraculous. So it's not a case of the Qur'an being translated in a biased manner (twisted) to support false claims that its content is miraculous.

Even the original Arabic Qur'an you can read today, word for word the same as it was when revealed to Muhammad, contains these miracles. They don't just appear once translated into English.

So if you could understand Arabic, my arguments would still be identical.

As you don't, I guess you'd just have to take my word for it. But my arguments regarding the translation still stand anyway, there are plenty of reputable and widely accepted (by Muslim and non-Muslim experts alike) translations available out there.

Once again, if you believe the sites I linked you to are using poor translations, you can always refer to translations that are known to be good.

Quote Furthermore, an Arabic word may have a range of different meanings depending on the context, making an accurate translation extremely difficult.

But not if you study the context, of course. Which all the sites I linked to do. And none of the Islamophobic sites you linked do.

It's so easy to twist the Qur'anic message when you take small phrases out of context.

Given the difficulty of accurate interpretation, and the motives of the interpretor by definition biased... it's quite easy to see how the translator would interpret the text the way he wanted to.

You're mixing two very different ideas now... Interpretation and translation are not the same thing.

Originally posted by Magic Man Magic Man wrote:

Nice cop out.
Okay, give me one example that you consider a miracle, something that proves god's existence to you. Just one, should be simple to give me one that you believe proves that your god exists since you are a believer are you not?

That's quite a ridiculous comment considering the number of times I've repeated examples. Another thing I've repeated time and time again is if you study and get a sense for Islam and the Qur'an in their entirety, you will get a much better picture of these miracles.

If you want to refute them without reason, then that's fine. But I think it's absolutely unfair to claim I haven't given any evidence at all.

I can't describe the entire religion of Islam and the Qur'an on an internet forum...

Actually there's nothing "silly" about it at all. You are accepting such a concept based on so called evidence that science would never accept.

And what has God got to do with science exactly? Big%20smile How is there a contradiction? You are mixing up ideas like a blender.

Your statements, to me, seem to have a certain quality of assumption of knowledge on how scientific and religious people (not mutually exclusive) think or behave, while you are actually (AFAIK) neither. Big%20smile

Plenty of scientists believe in God. The proportion not being significantly different from that among non-scientists.

There's no absolute proof of anything. Absolute proof is impossible. Therefore we have to consider plausibility.

Fair enough.

Quote And the plausibility that the Quran, was passed on to Muhammad via a "magical" being is extremely low. The very notion is utterly fantastical and somewhat primitive.

Rubbish!

There is plenty of evidence. And the streches you have to make in order to try and discredit them are enormous. And the number of them occurring all in the same, single text makes it even more unlikely it is a coincidence, or a product of human intelligence.

I'm not saying your some of your points regarding translation or interpretation are completely impossible, I'm saying they are just very unlikely. And using the same logic to discredit each and every miracle of the Qur'an and Islam, again and again... it's just a massive, massive stretch.

Like I said:

Originally posted by Me Me wrote:

So each miracle is a coincidence? Probability of that is very small, hence the term coincidence. Probability there are so many is even smaller. Probability that they are all present throughout the same text, popping up again, and again, and again, and again, in the form of mathematical, scientific, literary and historical miracles (to name a few) is even more extremely remote.
I love it when atheists shoot themselves in the foot with their "probability" arguments. Nay, blast themselves with a shotgun. Actually, a canon. Mounted in orbit. On rapid-fire mode. Big%20smile

Once again, I have only shown you a tiny glimpse of the miraculous nature of the Qur'an and Islam.

Obviously, I cannot completely relay the message of Islam in a forum post... Wink

I hope you are joking! I can provide you with plenty of material to study, from the Likes of Bertrand Russel, Richard Dawking, great philosophers, etc, etc. You can study the philosophical premise of god's non existence.

Not joking at all. Go on then, lets see it. Where have I missed the evidence that God does not exist?

I've seen ideas put forward, based on flawed knowledge on what God is and the meaning of religion and belief, that explain how it can be possible to exist without God, but that isn't evidence God isn't there...

No Odai, I certainly wasn't indoctrinated. My opinions have been formed by myself, based on consideration of ALL of the religious premises.

You're really not understanding the point I am making.

And it doesn't matter anyway, like I've said, you've exaggerated the impact "indoctrination" has on a person.

Once again, how is it that so many Muslims are converts? People who have not been "indoctrinated" with Islam, or even any religion?

A fascinating opinion. But actually you haven't presented any plausible evidence.

Sleepy

Logical evidence you say... well what do you think an agnostic, unbiased professor would say to your so called evidence. I know, do you?

That the deduction saying that the Qur'an cannot be considered a coincidence due to the extent and number of miracles in it is a reasonable one? And that the probability of such a text occurring by coincidence is absurdly small? Glad we agree.

Of course they do Odai, of course they do. They are totally biased, they are members of the Islamic faith. You are relying on translations that are known to be problematic.

An Arabic word may have a range of different meanings depending on the context, making an accurate translation extremely difficult. What you end up with is a biased interpretation that says exactly what the interpreter wants it to say.

If you want a true interpretation, look for a scholar who is not of the Islamic faith, look for a scholar who has no vested interest in proving the existence of god. look for a scholar who is unbiased.

Read what I said towards the beginning of this post RE translation. 

You have massively over exaggerated the translation issue, based on what you want to believe and wikipedia articles...
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 4:25pm
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 7:57pm
It's clear you will remain steadfast in your belief that the Quran contains miracles and continue to dismiss the notion that it has been translated by those of the Islamic faith in such a way that would appeal to those of the Islamic faith. I think many reading this will see in your responses the very indoctrination you dismiss as irrelevant.

I have nothing against your religion and have no wish to belittle your beliefs, but by the same token I don’t favor your religion either. I merely look at the evidence that the Quran came from god, as an impartial observer, and find I have no alternative but to reject those claims.

I think you will find that everybody else on the forum rejects your evidence as well, as would everyone else in society who hasn’t been indoctrinated in favor of Islam.

Christians have made similar claims, that there are hidden codes within the bible, messages from god. However, when these claims are studied by experts, they are shown to be fallacious.

There’s a fascinating frailty of the human mind that psychologists know all about, they call it “argument for makers”.  We live at the boundary of what is known and unknown in the universe; we are uncomfortable with not knowing so we assume divinity. We instantly jump from an abject state of ignorance to an abject state of certainty. That’s all I see in your claims for “evidence”, a biased translation of a text that’s notoriously difficult to translate. Individually, the follower is quick to adopt such notions due to childhood pressure and psychological factors.

In essence, the human perception system is rife with all kinds of ways of “getting it wrong”, hence the need for “real” unbiased evidence. Not a person of the Islamic faith, interpreting a difficult to interpret Islamic text, in a way that would be favorable to others of the Islamic faith.

We are poor data taking devices, that’s why we need science.

To be clear, I’m not saying definitively that the Quran wasn’t the work of god; to do that would be impossible. I’m saying that thus far, the evidence you provide does not satisfy the standard of evidence that any scientist would require.

In regard to your comments on indoctrination, I respectfully disagree, as do psychologists, philosophers and those struggling to shake off indoctrination of all kinds. History clearly demonstrates your view to be wrong.

The underlying theme seems to be your view that religious indoctrination is not an issue and easily overcome by the adult mind, easily shaken off as if it’s a trivial matter.

Well firstly, it can hardly be deemed acceptable for a religion to indoctrinate a child in the first place and restrict access to alternative religions. Couple that with evidence for the difficulty in breaking such indoctrination, and it’s clearly a rather despicable thing to do.

Religious indoctrination can be overcome, but to claim it’s a trivial matter shaken off with ease is simply not true; in fact it’s counter to the experiences of millions of individuals and researchers worldwide.

Essentially, once indoctrinated, we are less able to think logically about concepts we have been indoctrinated to believe in. It’s not necessarily related to IQ, rather the power of belief, and the unwillingness to have ones dearly held beliefs changed.

There have been many examples of the power of indoctrination throughout history. Hitler youth, religious cults, the list is endless. And once indoctrinated, it’s quite clear that such a thing is very hard to overcome.

The youth committee of the Soviet Union’s communist party, known as the Komsomol, said:

Quote “We must make the young into a generation of Communists. Children, like soft wax, are very malleable and they should be moulded into good Communists… We must rescue children from the harmful influence of the family… We must nationalize them. From the earliest days of their little lives, they must find themselves under the beneficient influence of Communist schools… To oblige the mother to give her child to the Soviet state – that is our task.”

Quote Not even a modest skeptic could swallow the imagineerings of the Mormon bible. Yet there are millions of true believers and that is undeniable fact.

Mark Twain 

Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2011 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by Odai Odai wrote:

Nice cop out.Okay, give me one example that you consider a miracle, something that proves god's existence to you. Just one, should be simple to give me one that you believe proves that your god exists since you are a believer are you not?

That's quite a ridiculous comment considering the number of times I've repeated examples. Another thing I've repeated time and time again is if you study and get a sense for Islam and the Qur'an in their entirety, you will get a much better picture of these miracles.
If you want to refute them without reason, then that's fine. But I think it's absolutely unfair to claim I haven't given any evidence at all.

Not ridiculous at all. I'm asking for one simple example which you have yet to provide. I don't want to study the texts I just want you to list one simple example of a miracle that proves to you that god exists. If you think you have already stated one then list it again together why it proves the existence of god to you.

Simple request. Give me one example. It's your belief, show me your proof.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2011 at 9:45am
I think it's clear to all that none of Odai's so called miracles, when looked at individually, are miracles at all. Which is precisely why he won't choose one example, his favourite miracle.

Odai claims that "collectively" the number of "claimed [by those of the Islamic faith] miracles is significant.

Well I think it's quite clear, that a great deal of effort has been expended by those translating the Quran, to generate as many examples as possible. And the means to do so.... creative translation, rather than accurate translation.

No individual of the Islamic faith tasked with translating the Quran is going to reveal to the world that there are no miracles, whether there are miracles or not, or there would be an uproar in the Islamic world. If there isn't, they will still be found.

It's a bit like a disputed goal in a game between Man United and Liverpool. And the referee asking the scorers, Man United if the goal passed the line. Man United will surely say yes.

When a multitude of agnostic scholars that aren't biased in favour of Islam, all form a consensus and say there are miracles then maybe we should listen.

VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 5:39am
If there was any type of god, we'd all worship it/them.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2011 at 11:14am
Exactly. He/she/they/it would be a bit more obvious...
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2011 at 2:17pm
...still waiting for my miracle...
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2011 at 10:36pm
Considered the possibility not all of us spend every free moment on an internet forum, and/or don't have time to type up 1000s words long posts every other day? Wink

Don't worry, I'll respond eventually when I've got time.
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 12:31am
You were browsing this lunchtime...

If I was aware of a miracle that proved to me the evidence of god then i wouldn't need all day to think about what to say. How much time do you need...?
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 1:12am
Ever heard of cookies? Wink

I stay logged on (almost) all the time. Doesn't mean I'm "browsing".

Like I said, I simply don't have the time right now to physically type up posts in this thread.

As for how long I need, I don't know.
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 12:41pm

Ever heard of cookies?
Yes thanks, deal with them every day.

Quote I stay logged on (almost) all the time. Doesn't mean I'm "browsing".

No you don't, I've been watching... Wink ...'cause I'm eager to find out about just one miracle...
Like I said, I simply don't have the time right now to physically type up posts in this thread.

As for how long I need, I don't know.

You had time to write this post but you didn't have enough time to simply state a miracle that you believe was performed and proves to you that god exists...?

Ummm... okay.
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 10:44pm
Tumbleweed rolls by...
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 11:02pm
Magic you're not going to get it. 
Generic forum signature
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 12:10pm
Guess not... Can't be much of a miracle then I suppose...
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 12:16am
Originally posted by 737Chris 737Chris wrote:

Once again, you contribute only to flame. Not surprising.

Tumbleweed rolls by... 

You are kidding right?

Some of us do have lives. If you have that amount of free time to waste on internet forums, then lucky you. I however don't have the time to write great big massive posts just like that.

I've repeated many examples of the miracles in the Qur'an and advised on how you can learn more. If you can't distinguish them from the rest of the content of the posts, that's your problem. Go make some effort, and do your own research. I post here when it interests me, and assuming I have enough free time. If you want to ignore, repeatedly, examples I've already posts for your own inexplicable reasons, that's up to you, but it's incredibly silly to then go ahead and state that I haven't gone through the effort to try and explain that side of things to you.

Expecting me to be able to continuously answer everyone's posts, maintain my patience as I wade through great big blocks of drivel, and do it on a regular basis to avoid getting PMs is totally unreasonable.

I've got other things going on. I've already tried explaining politely, but that doesn't seem to work with you does it? Seriously...

I'll respond to this thread eventually.
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 1:20am

Originally posted by 737Chris 737Chris wrote:

Once again, you contribute only to flame. Not surprising.

That wasn't to flame anything. . . flame what ? Everybody on here has better things to do than get wound up by you Odai; of all people.  I'm just simply saying, despite many reasonable requests, all you do is post on how you don't have time. . . to post ! Tongue As an Athiest myself, I am not fundemental in my ways, none of "us" are.  If there was solid evidence (and I mean solid evidence, not the "evidence" you speak of) then I would accept and believe in that deity.  Obviously there is some problems in that itself.  Say hypothetically the Judeo-Christian God existed. . .I still don't think I'd like to submit to him.  Having my life perved on 24/7 ?  No thanks, I'll stick to science and reason, and a World that doesn't owe me personally, anything.  Thats the way I like it.
Generic forum signature
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic