This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'24-Hour Licencing Has Failed'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '24-Hour Licencing Has Failed'
    Posted: 02 Jul 2008 at 4:04pm
Quote The introduction of 24-hour licensing laws has failed to reduce alcohol-induced violence while costing taxpayers £100 million, a report claimed today.

A survey by the Local Government Association found that around seven in 10 police authorities, primary care trusts and councils had seen either no change or an increase in alcohol-related disorder.

24-hour drinking has also stretched council monetary resources - 86% of health authorities and 94% of councils reported increased budgetary pressures.

Around a third of primary care trusts said they had experienced a rise in alcohol related incidents.

Meanwhile half of police authorities reported that the 2003 Licensing Act had simply led to alcohol-related disorder occurring later at night than prior to the new rules.

Sir Simon Milton, chairman of the LGA, said: "The new drinks laws have made no impact whatsoever on reducing the alcohol-related violence that blights town centres and turns them into no-go areas on a Friday and Saturday night.

"The Government was always going to fall short on its promises to curb excessive drinking because new licensing laws alone were never going to be enough to change this endemic culture of alcohol and violence.

"It seems that we have a deep-rooted social and cultural problem in this country in the way that we view alcohol that cannot be addressed by one simple piece of legislation. It will take years, possibly decades of concerted action across the board."

:: The findings were based on responses from 51 local authorities, 49 primary care trusts and 20 police forces.

What shocks me is that they thought it was going to work in the first place.

mutley View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
Pilot Extraordinaire!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mutley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2008 at 4:12pm
I agree U.M, 24 hr availability could only lead to more violence, more pressure on the police and more pressure on the NHS.  One of the main problems is how cheap it is.

Cheers (sorry regards)

Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2008 at 4:14pm
I don't think its a bad thing as it helps offset the loses that a lot of pubs have endured due to the smoking ban.
Anything that helps curb the epidemic of pub closures is OK in my book
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2008 at 4:31pm
Seems the result has been increased violence though, unless it was on the increase anyway
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2008 at 5:46pm
1-0 to the guy with common sense.

Ban alcohol! Let's see what that does. Ouch

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2008 at 6:44pm
Drug dealers taking over the supply of alcohol and adding to their already huge illegal income?
"Moonshine" becoming readily available and poisoning more people than are already injured by alcohol?

I have a thing for French red wine and if that is going to be taken away for the sake of the minority then we may as well ban our cars as well and force everyone to hand in their kitchen knives!
mutley View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
Pilot Extraordinaire!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mutley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2008 at 7:24pm
Originally posted by RAS RAS wrote:

I have a thing for French red wine and if that is going to be taken away for the sake of the minority then we may as well ban our cars as well and force everyone to hand in their kitchen knives!

Don't worry Rich, I can always pop across the channel on the ferry and pick up a couple of boxes of Bordeaux or Merlot @ 80p a boytle for you, good stuff too .

Cheers
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2008 at 9:12pm
Can you get me a boYtle too Uncle mutley?
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2008 at 9:19pm

Quote I can always pop across the channel on the ferry and pick up a couple of boxes of Bordeaux or Merlot

Good point! I bet P&O and the Channel Tunnel operators would be right behind a ban Thumbs%20Up
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2008 at 3:15am
"Ban alcohol! Let's see what that does."

They tried it here once - didn't work.  Remember Al Capone?
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2008 at 9:01am
Everything that is banned just ends up in the hands of unscrupulous characters for them to rake in the profit. 
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2008 at 10:23am

When I am the leader of the entire globe, and Mutley is my trusty side kick, we will raise the legal drinking age to 21, and strictly enforce it. We will order our peaceforcers to hang around in pub car parks and bludgeon anyone who approaches a vehicle.

Our genetically modified peaceforcers, clad in their nanotech body armor, will patrol the streets. They will have the authority to vaporize anyone they like. Red hot balls of plasma will streak from the muzzles of their plasma pistols like miniature supernovas. Their victim’s heads will explode like over inflated balloons.

If you'd like to vote for me, I would appreciate your support.

Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2008 at 10:30am
Judge Martin Dredd
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2008 at 10:36am
'I am the law!'
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2008 at 10:41am
I was once apprehended in Spain for walking past an armed Policeman and shouting "I am the law" at him in jest (I was the organiser of the holiday and the oldest of all the lads so it was my catchphrase at the time). As you might guess I had consumed a few drinks at that point and was nowhere near 21 years old... so maybe there is a case for banning it Wink
Luckily they just stuck me in a van for 10 minutes for a lecture and then sent me on my way.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2008 at 10:48am
When I take over, that sort of behaviour will be punished with cold custard pie bombardment. 
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2008 at 1:27pm
Smoking age: 21, I'd also ban smoking in the street due to people smoking in queues in front of or behind me and due to all the disgarded buts that litter the floor everywhere.

Drinking age:21, ban consumption on the streets. Any under age breaking the law, fine their parents £1000. Adults drinking or caught drunk in the street, fine £1000. Anyone knowingly selling to minors, lock them up.

Driving age:21, anyone breaking the law has the car crushed, is banned for an additional year and gets three points.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2008 at 1:41pm
1984 here we come

Quote or caught drunk in the street, fine £1000.

I think this one in particular would lead to a national uprising against the authorities...
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2008 at 1:50pm
It's a criminal offence as it is, what's the issue?
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2008 at 1:52pm
Ever dropped litter (even by accident)? I reckon their should be a £2000 fine and 200 hours community service for every piece. What's the problem with that, it's a criminal offence after all and it would stop people dropping it!

Well actually, I think there is a big problem with that. Its draconian!

Quote Adults drinking or caught drunk in the street, fine £1000.

So if I had a bottle of wine and a few digestifs at a dinner party and decided to walk home I would be liable for a £1000 fine? That is total lunacy Wacko
Quote Driving age:21, anyone breaking the law has the car crushed, is banned for an additional year and gets three points.

Somebody accidentally creeps to 65 in a 60 zone and they get their car taken away from them, potentially loses their job and all the follow on that can come from that? Somebody get me a ticket to Iran, I need to live somewhere more liberal!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic