This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Addon airports load with FSX default configuration
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Addon airports load with FSX default configuration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamagn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Addon airports load with FSX default configuration
    Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 5:22am

Hi there,

TrafficX puts comprehensive traffic on the airports that I frequently fly into, however:

[1] on my Addon airports, traffic shows up with the FSX default-configuration, i.e. planes parked on spots that were either moved, modified or erased. I have upgraded my favorite airports using ADEX but strange thing is that since the installation of TrafficX, the only visual changes that I see on my Addon airports, are the airport-objects, the rest of the upgrade which includes parking, aprons, runway-modifications, etc., do not show. It seems like TrafficX loads the default FSX airport-configuration and combines it with the Addon airport-objects.

[2] I have also noticed that occasionally the traffic-planes waiting for take-off clearance, constantly hop up and down on the ground, constantly bouncing; this intermittent movement seems to also affect some land vehicles as well. I cannot make sense of it, very strange.

Anybody with some insight on what the problem might be? I appreciate any response.

jamagn

FSX Acceleration - Windows 7 64bit

Chuck Morse View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Morse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 1:47am
In order to provide enough parking for the increased traffic that trafficX provides, it also has modified a large number of airports.  These modified airports are all in a subfolder of the TrafficX folder I am not at my FSX computer but I think it is "Airport Facilities".   If you installed Trafficx after you modified your own airports then it is very likely that the TrafficX airport folder is at a higher priority in the Scenery Library than your modifications.   In FSX you can go into the scenery library and check the order of the scenery folders.  If the JustFight TrafficX Airport Facilities is higher in the list than the folder containing your modifcations, then you need to do one of two things.  1. You can lower the priority of the TrafficX airport folder so it is below the one containing your modifications.  2. You can find the TrafficX supplied modification file the airport you modified and remove it.  This is best done by renaming the file so that the file extension is something other than .bgl.   Then if you decide you want it back you can always rename it back. 

I would try number 1 first and see if that gets you the results you want.  If not then try number 2.  I personally do both.  I lowered the priority of the TrafficX folder so it is above the default scenery but lower than everything else.  Then when I begin to modify an airport the first thing I do is get rid of the TrafficX version.  To me the only value it has is additional parking and if I am going to modify the airport anyway, I can add all the parking necessary.

Chuck Morse
Chuck Morse
jamagn View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamagn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 3:48am

It worked!Thumbs%20Up I did step one, i.e. FSX settings Scenery Library Move up Addon Scenery (above TrafficX Airport Facilities). I will fly with this setting to check out my Addon airports and perhaps do step 2 as well as you did. Thank you.

freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by jamagn jamagn wrote:

[2] I have also noticed that occasionally the traffic-planes waiting for take-off clearance, constantly hop up and down on the ground, constantly bouncing; this intermittent movement seems to also affect some land vehicles as well. I cannot make sense of it, very strange.

Anybody with some insight on what the problem might be? I appreciate any response.

As explained in Chuck's response, some (scenery) things have a higher priority than others and you can re-order them in the FSX scenery library.  The "jumping" planes and objects are a commonly reported thing in FSX.  The jumping occurs as each "layer" of scenery is loaded from that list, one after the other, in the priority order set for them.  However, we are not just talking about the major scenery layers that you see directly listed in the FSX scenery library ... we are talking about the smaller individual layers which make up each major scenery layer.  For example, the water layer is loaded, then the grass layer is loaded, then the roads layer is loaded, then the runways layer, then the buildings layer, then the objects layer, then the ... etc etc ... I am sure you get the idea.  (Note: it is not necessarily in the order I've shown here; I just randomly chose items for the purpose of providing the example.)  Anyway, as each of these individual layers is loaded the aircraft and other objects can "jump".  In other words, as the water layer is loaded, your planes may jump, then the grass layer is loaded and your planes will jump again, and then the roads layer is loaded and the planes jump yet again ... and so on and so forth.

Why do they jump as each layer is loaded?  To be honest, I am not entirely sure of the correct answer to that.  Suffice to say that I seem to recall reading on another Flight Simulator forum somewhere that it has something to do with having your FSX graphics settings up a bit too high for what your computer can handle.  This means means FSX is "struggling" as it loads things and is not able to do it smoothly and efficiently.  The result of this is the "jumping" that you see.  Whilst I am not sure if that is 100% correct or not, I do know that the jumping can be reduced (good) or eliminated (preferable), simply by lowering your FSX graphics settings.

Note that if you just wait a little while, and let everything load up, the jumping should eventually stop and things should return to "normal".  With that in mind, you may decide not to reduce your graphics sliders down at all and instead just be happy to wait for things to load and settle; jumping along as it goes until everything is eventually finished loading and done.  How long you need to wait depends on how much too high your graphics settings are.  If they are only a little higher than the happy medium, then you don't have to wait too long.  If they are way past the happy medium, then you'll have to wait longer.  And, in bad cases, the jumping may not stop at all ... so you would definately need to adjust your FSX graphics sliders down for that to compensate and correct.

Also note that as you "move" through the sim (for example, taxiing, flying), layers will be getting loaded in by the sim to update the picture that you are seeing, thus providing the illusion of movement.  And, if your FSX graphics settings are up too high then, as each new layer gets loaded an updated, jumping becomes a possibility.  So, for example, if jumping is constant and annoys you as you taxi, then that's probably a sign that your graphics settings might be up a little too high.

For the record, my stuff jumps too ... but I am satisfied with my graphics settings right where they are because I am happy to wait ... and, for me, once the water and grass and runways and building and objects layers have all finished loading up, the jumping stops and the sim runs just fine ... even as I taxi or fly.
jamagn View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamagn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 2:31am

A very comprehensive explanation, thank you. My FSX settings are (or so I believe) positioned so that the PC hardware, i.e. graphic-card, processor, etc., can handle them. Even though (as you say) is not a proven fact that objects including traffic hop up and down when FSX setting sliders are high, it’s a fair approach to explain why this is happening. Interesting enough, having my FSX settings-sliders unchanged, this behaviour began only after installing TrafficX. I enjoy how smoothly the PC handles my current settings (above happy medium); I will keep in mind having the patience you suggest as the surrounding scenery looms. Again thank you for such an ample response.

jamagn   

freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 5:44am
I am glad my explanation made sense.  I can understand that installing Traffic X was when your jumping began ... Traffic X includes not just AI planes, but also includes updates to many airports etc.  And, when compared with the limited amount of AI the default FSX had, there is MUCH MORE AI loaded in by Traffic X (and much more AI means not only greater numbers of planes to be loaded [more strain on FSX] , but also includes all the added livery graphics and textures [even more strain on FSX]).  Now add further strain and stress on to FSX from the extra eye-candy provided by the updated Traffic X airports, and, well, you've just potentially pushed FSX up past your previous "happy medium".  Hence, the "jumping" begins.  To be fair to Traffic X, it is very kind on frame rates and care was obviously taken by Just Flight with the graphics with a view to reduce the extra overhead placed on FSX.  Just Flight did a great job here.  But, nonetheless, extra planes, extra textures, and updated airports, must all obviously add to the drawing and loading work that FSX needs to do.

But, as you say, you are happy with how smoothly your PC handles your current settings.  In that case, all good.  At least now you have a better understanding of what is going on and why it is doing it.  Smile
jamagn View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamagn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 12:59am

So far all good, thank you. As I was reading your kind response, I had my FSX on and noticed that the FSX settings → Scenery Library → Global, Generic & Vehicle Libraries are below the TrafficX Airport Facilities. Shouldn't this be otherwise? i.e., Generic & Vehicle Libraries above TrafficX Airport Facilities, what is the difference effect for these two settings being one above the other?

Chuck Morse View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Morse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 4:06am
The order of the the folders in the Scenery Library determine the priority of the folders.  The higher the level in the scenery library the higher the priority.  This means that if there are two conflicting elements the one in the higher level folder will get chosen over one in a lower level folder.  If you want the TrafficX airport definitions to be used instead of the stock airports then the TrafficX Airport Definition folder should be higher than than the FSX stock folders.
Chuck Morse
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic