This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alternative Vote Referendum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Poll Question: Will you Vote for the alternative voting system?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [42.31%]
9 [34.62%]
1 [3.85%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [19.23%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternative Vote Referendum
    Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 12:31pm

If you have a postal vote like me, you may have already voted. Or perhaps you don't give a monkeys what they do and intend to throw your ballot paper in the bin?

Perhaps you think the current system stinks and the alternative system suggested stinks, and you have a better idea?

It's a very important referendum chaps, so which way will you go?

I've included some options for the under 18's. Would be interesting to know the opinion of the younger members of the forum.
Edward Longe View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 1:03pm
I have the honor of counting the votes

CAA= Cash Again,Again!
dodgy-alan View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgy-alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 1:54pm
As I,m standing for town council with the Liberal Democrats I will be voting a definate Yes. If things got the way I hope then I will become a councillor in a few weeks time.

The light at the end of the tunnel is a freight train coming the other way !
Flightboy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flightboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by dodgy-alan dodgy-alan wrote:

As I,m standing for town council with the Liberal Democrats I will be voting a definate Yes. If things got the way I hope then I will become a councillor in a few weeks time.

And now the name makes sense....
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 2:19pm
Good luck Alan Thumbs%20Up
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 2:31pm
Forgive the intrusion but I was curious and Googled you:

Nice to see some Just Flight and Sold Out titles on your shelf there. RAF Vulcan and Roads & Rivers of Europe if I'm not mistaken? Wink

Good luck in the election. The Lib Dems have always seemed to do a good job at the local level.

I'll be voting for the AV system. My area has been Conservative for as long as I can remember, despite our millionaire MP who doesn't even live in the area being caught up in the expenses scandal (forced to repay £25,000 that was spent on gardening). AV seems like a fairer system to me, everyone's vote counts for something, even in areas like Huntingdon. It's not a perfect system but insisting that your elected MP has the support of at least 50% of the people in the area they represent seems quite fair and democratic.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 2:51pm
If things got the way I hope then I will become a councillor in a few weeks time.

Garghhhh... How do i get my ballot paper out of the post box? Unhappy

Big%20smile Just kidding, good luck Dodgy.  You could say you'll be a "Dodgy" councillor.
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 2:54pm
Could someone please explanain the Alternative Vote system?

John Allard
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 2:56pm
No, and don't think we'll let you vote in the poll, because we won't. You're a foreigner. Big%20smile
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 2:59pm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_vote

I changed my mind, here it is for John's perusal. 

Instant-runoff voting (IRV), also known as the alternative vote (AV), is a voting system used to elect one winner from a pool of candidates using preferential voting. Voters rank candidates in order of preference, and their votes are initially allocated to their first choice candidate. If after this initial count no candidate has a majority of votes cast, the candidate with the fewest votes is eliminated and votes for that candidate are redistributed according to the voters' second preferences. This process continues until one candidate receives more than 50% of the votes, upon which they are declared the winner.

Instant runoff voting is used to elect members of the Australian House of Representatives,[1] the President of Ireland,[2] the national parliament of Papua New Guinea, and the House of Representatives of Fiji.[3] It is also used in Irish by-elections and for electing hereditary peers for the British House of Lords.[4]

IRV is employed by several jurisdictions in the United States, including San Francisco[5] Oakland, California,[6] Minneapolis and Saint Paul, Minnesota.[5] It is used to elect the leaders of the Labour Party and the Liberal Democrats in the United Kingdom and the leader of the Liberal Party of Canada in a national primary[7] and in the elections of city mayors in a number of countries including the UK (in the variant known as Supplementary Vote)[8] and New Zealand.[9]

allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 3:09pm
What happens if there are five candidates for whom your personal rankings are.

1st
2nd
Hell no
Not in a million years
Would rather vote for the devil

Is there a way to not have your vote roll down beyond a certain place in the list?

By the way, just for the record, I didn't vote in the poll at the top of the thread, having considerd myself ineligible.  I still have some integrity.
John Allard
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 3:13pm
Thats the eyebrow raiser. In many countries, you have to select alternatives, it's compulsory. I don't believe it is in regard to the proposed UK system.

I could be wrong.

Quote By the way, just for the record, I didn't vote in the poll at the top of the thread, having considerd myself ineligible.  I still have some integrity.

I should have made yo a couple of extra alternatives. if I was a UK citizen... Smile

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 3:20pm
In your scenario John, you'd just nominate two.

Quote The AV system asks voters to rank candidates in order of preference. People can nominate as many preferences as they like. Only first preference votes are counted initially. Anyone getting more than 50% of these is elected automatically. If that doesn't happen, the candidate with the fewest votes is eliminated and their second choices allocated to the remaining candidates in a second round of counting. If one candidate then has more than 50% of the votes in this round they are elected. If not, the remaining candidate with the fewest votes is eliminated and their second preferences (or third preferences if they were the second choice of someone who voted for the first candidate to be eliminated) reallocated. This continues until one candidate has 50% or more of the vote in that round of counting.

Speedbird-001 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedbird-001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 3:31pm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/the_daily_politics/8506307.stm

Pretty good at explaining!

Although irrelevant now, it explained it to me.

There is also a good one on crisps, but I cant find that. haha.

It seems the Lib dems want it and conservative don't.
Speedbird-001 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Speedbird-001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by allardjd allardjd wrote:

Could someone please explanain the Alternative Vote system?

YES! I found the video!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12931424
dodgy-alan View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgy-alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 5:58pm
Thanks for the support guys, Had to laugh at some of the comments, Love the AV "Hell No!" thing, May suggest that at the next committee meeting !oh how I laughed
Ras that is indeed R&R Europe on the shelf, Also the JF C130, Abacus A380, RAF Vulcan and even FS98 !! plus others!!Wink 
The light at the end of the tunnel is a freight train coming the other way !
Stringbean View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stringbean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

Would be interesting to know the opinion of the younger members of the forum.

That's everyone isn't it? oh how I laughed
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 6:41pm

Quote Martin W -> Would be interesting to know the opinion of the younger members of the forum.

Stringbean -> That's everyone isn't it?

Hardly...Ermm

John Allard
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 7:08pm
YES!

The reason the Conservatives don;t want it is because it is thought they will never form a majority government again. It can't be too soon!!!

They are saying that the financial crisis is the reason for the current coalition government, but where I live I know people were more fed up with the Cons than the financial crisis. People aren't stupid (we had, and currently have, a Conservative council BTW, and they're doing a crap job - if you wonder why don't kick them out - we can't. It's Cons or BNP, and people are afraid to vote BNP).

Before you get sucked into the NO campaigns propaganda, just consider the following points:

* AV system is good enough for Conservative Party to elect their leader

* They argue it will lead to coalitions more often, implying this is bad. There are several countries that are run by coalition, and they include:

* Germany < booming economy
* Netherlands < good economy
* Ireland < greedy bankers and people
* Belgium < seat of the EU
* Finland < doing fine
* Israel < doing fine
* Japan < 2nd largest economy
* Australia < doing fine thanks
* Canada < likewise

...I think we can agree they are good countries that are generally well-run, remembering the current economic crisis was primarily created by bankers!

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2011 at 7:40pm
Australia are not under a coalition government in the true sense. Gillard struck a deal with the 4 independent and 1 Green MP in the house to form a working majority, but it's anywhere near the scale of the coalition in the UK sense, and certainly not like the Liberal/National coalition which formed the previous Oz government.

And Australia have compulsory voting which changes the voting landscape somewhat.
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic