This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alternative Vote Referendum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Poll Question: Will you Vote for the alternative voting system?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [42.31%]
9 [34.62%]
1 [3.85%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [19.23%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alternative Vote Referendum
    Posted: 10 May 2011 at 12:54pm
Yep. And the reason? Money. The only reason horse racing (and greyhound racing) is still around today is because of the betting game. Neither is a sport, they are just means to make money from betting profit.
Without the betting side of things, both would soon vanish.

Less money in greyhound racing as well so more potential for cruelty. 
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 1:40am
Quote Saying that, don't agree with horse racing

Me neither.

The horses are whipped to the extent they suffer bruising/cuts. The jockey basically hurts the horse so it runs away from the pain. They try and justify it by throwing vets at the horses the rest of the time and claiming they are the best looked after animals anywhere.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 10:37pm

Are the foxes terrified? are their hearts busting? are their lungs gasping?

If you think not, you have no brain.

Expect my moderator powers to be abused to the full in your direction.
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Marmite Marmite wrote:

So, you have nothing against terrified foxes being chased by crazed dogs, with heart bursting and lungs gasping for breath?
Are the foxes terrified? are their hearts busting? are their lungs gasping? This cannot be easily answered so how does it differ from horse racing in that respect, horses aren't even chased by "crazed dogs"?

Are the foxes terrified? - well, it's not exactly a run in the park chasing a ball...

Are their hearts "bursting", lungs gasping? - watch one of the numerous hunt videos some time, tell me the fox isn't almost near death already with exhaustion when the dogs eventually run it down.

The difference between horse racing and fox hunting? - fear.

Saying that, don't agree with horse racing neither, certainly not jumps. Flat racing is dubious and just another hang over from times long past as something to bet on. Just like dog fighting, cock fighting, hare coarsing etc. etc.
Marmite View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 8:51pm
So, you have nothing against terrified foxes being chased by crazed dogs, with heart bursting and lungs gasping for breath?
Are the foxes terrified? are their hearts busting? are their lungs gasping? This cannot be easily answered so how does it differ from horse racing in that respect, horses aren't even chased by "crazed dogs"?

Also I think somebody needs a cold shower, far too much loving going on around here

P.S. I'm really stupid and have no brain.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 8:13pm
Once again pointy we agree, you are my hero.

Our romance must commence immediately.

I've sent you some flowers and a box of chocolates.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 7:57pm
Quote Who in their right mind gets pleasure out of killing animals?

Psychopaths and the mentally deranged.

Hunting for food is one thing, killing for fun is entirely another.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 4:30pm
Quote The barbaric ripping apart of foxes by dogs is cruel and I'm not for that, but foxes flushed to guns by dogs doesn't seem as barbaric so I have nothing against that form.

So, you have nothing against terrified foxes being chased by crazed dogs, with heart bursting and lungs gasping for breath?

Culminating in a physically exhausted, psychologically tortured fox... being shot for fun by posh git's? 

Who in their right mind gets pleasure out of killing animals?

Marmite View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 2:13pm

The barbaric ripping apart of foxes by dogs is cruel and I'm not for that, but foxes flushed to guns by dogs doesn't seem as barbaric so I have nothing against that form. As Magic said there are differing degrees, some are acceptable whereas others aren't.

Mr Fish doesn't get a sore head Wink oh how I laughed

VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 1:08pm

Whatever would you be thinking to say that, Magic?

@Marmite: so you slightly agree it is OK for dogs to chase down a fox?

Regarding Clegg fighting the NHS reforms - ABOUT TIME! Maybe some good will come out of this election/referendum anyway. Maybe the Lib Dems have teeth after all!

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 1:04pm
Big%20smile
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 1:01pm
...I take it "Mr Fish" is not a euphemism here Ermm
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 12:58pm
I would think Marmite either bashes Mr Fish on the head, or puts him back in the water, with just a sore lip.
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by Marmite Marmite wrote:

I don't agree with fox hunting, nor am I dead against fox hunting,
Not a valid answer... 

I eat meat and occasionally go fishing so it would be hypocritical of me to say it's wrong, when both can be considered just as cruel.
There are degrees though. Livestock cattle should be slaughtered in a quick, painless, humane fashion - they are not chased down to the point of exhaustion whilst terrified with fear and then ripped apart whilst still alive.

Is it still cruel? Perhaps, in terms of the lifestyle some lead, and some livestock is not treated as well as others or condemed to short lives (suckling pig for example). Is it hypocritical? maybe, slightly, but we eat meat, we wouldn't be here today if we hadn't.

Fishing? Fishes suffocating before death? Again, different degrees. I'm no expert but how does the nervous system of a fish compare to a large mammal? Do they feel pain/fear/suffering? I don't know, tend to think not to anywhere near the same degree as a large mammal.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 12:34pm
Quote @MartinW - what's with the confrontation all the time?

I will gladly answer your question. No confrontation what so ever Marmite.

You confused us all, so I'm giving you an opportunity to clarify.

So why are you NOT dead against fox hunting, given it's barbaric nature? Again, no confrontation, just interested. Smile

Quote I eat meat and occasionally go fishing so it would be hypocritical of me to say it's wrong, when both can be considered just as cruel.

Not really, the meat you eat is killed humanely. Foxes are killed inhumanely.

P.S. As the creator of the topic, I have no problem if it evolves into another form, a form that defends Mr Fox.
Marmite View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 9:13am

Thanks Vulcan, I appreciate that you gave an answer.

@MartinW - what's with the confrontation all the time? I don't agree with fox hunting, nor am I dead against fox hunting, I eat meat and occasionally go fishing so it would be hypocritical of me to say it's wrong, when both can be considered just as cruel.

Anyway back on topic, I hear the Lib Dems are now dead set on opposing the NHS reform since the AV defeat.

dodgy-alan View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgy-alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 9:09am

Originally posted by Slopey Slopey wrote:

Did you not get your JustFlight Forums complimentary "cut out and keep" pitchfork with your sign-up email? Should have been under the "So, Global Warming, discuss...." bumper sticker

oh how I laughed oh how I laughed oh how I laughed oh how I laughed oh how I laughed oh how I laughed oh how I laughed oh how I laughed oh how I laughed oh how I laughed

For Fox Sake Stop Hunting !!

oh how I laughed
The light at the end of the tunnel is a freight train coming the other way !
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 8:51am
Did you not get your JustFlight Forums complimentary "cut out and keep" pitchfork with your sign-up email? Should have been under the "So, Global Warming, discuss...." bumper sticker
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 8:18am
I give you the opportunity again.

Marmite, do you agree with Fox hunting? Yes or No?

We wouldn't want to get the wrong impression and sharpen our pitchforks. You can blunt the sharp pitchforks by answering the question and cear up all the confusion. Wink
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 2:12am
Sorry if I (we) got the wrong idea, but that is how it reads.

I appreciate your point though.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
  Share Topic