This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Real World Aviation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

747 Demolition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 747 Demolition
    Posted: 08 Apr 2011 at 4:17pm
Feel free to move this, with my meds I`m not even sure what day of the week I`m on.  However, tomorrow (Saturday?) around noon at 12:05 to 1:10pm theirs a documentary on Channel 5 that could be promising.  I`m recording it just in case.

Based on a 747 thats been retired.  Engineers strip it down to discover any parts worth salvage.  Looking at the undercarriage, controls, body of the plane etc.....  Depending on how its filmed and what we get to see in detail it has distinct possibilities.  C5 comes out with some good stuff at times and especially lately, its one to keep an eye on.  Apologies if this has been posted elsewhere.

EDIT:  Though a TV Program it might be better in the Videos Section

Steve
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 1:05pm
There was a similar programme on Nat Geo ages ago called Breaking Up The Biggest.  Quite interesting - and upsetting!
Kind regards,
Tom
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2011 at 1:18pm
Is that a repeat?  I'm sure I've seen that before.
reider View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 12:21pm
I absolutely enjoyed this.  I`ve created a folder to keep it on the harddrive of my HD Recorder so my Dad can see it when he comes up in the next couple of weeks, as he missed it and as an engineer likes stuff like this.  I`ll put it on a USB stick too.  Did one recently and was knocked back by the quality when playing it back on my lappy, just like watching TV.  These things have really got good quality now.

Steve
dodgy-alan View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgy-alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2011 at 6:28pm
The programme was shown on C5 a couple of years ago, Its interesting but still horrible to see a lovely aircraft chopped up like this, I know it has to be done but it just seems wrong. Its good that the useful parts will fly again though.
I guess i,m a bit of a sentimentalist, Many years ago I watched a perfectly good supertanker go to the bottom after her crew sold the cargo to a sanctioned country and then scuppered her to try and hide the evidence. We were first ship on the scene when we picked her (fake) mayday call. We took the crew off and watched the ship die. as she went down it was like a magnificent dying animal, the air inside her screamed as though she was in pain as it was forced out of the various openings by the incoming water. Steam spewed out of her funnel like the last gasps of life, and various crashes within rumbled as machinery and fittings broke loose. It was an awesome, moving and horrible sight as she slid beneath the waves, and something I will never forget. Thankfully the fraud was quickly discovered and the crew imprisoned, At least their ship had her revenge.
The light at the end of the tunnel is a freight train coming the other way !
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic