This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Patient choice" is cover for privatization!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Patient choice" is cover for privatization!!
    Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 3:50am
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-12862528

Utter, utter rubbish!!! The NHS not "restricting competition", and by definition, can not restrict competition!!!!

This is privatization masquerading as patent choice. Once the private sector gets enough work, all that is left is to close the NHS hospitals, sack the staff, and start a tender process for work that the NHS could, and would have done.

The question I keep whacking my head over is this:

QUESTION: IF THE NHS OPERATES ONLY AT A COST, HOW IN THE HELL CAN A PRIVATE COMPANY OPERATING FOR PROFIT BE CHEAPER?!!!!

ANSWER: IT CAN'T!!!

I'm willing to bet that by the time this Government leaves office, they will have effectively privatized the NHS. The Cons wanted to do this for years, but they never had the chance. Now they do, and will do so by cutting funding (50,000 jobs are set to go despite all the talk of "ring-fencing"), and pushing "patient choice".

How many Tories are shareholders of these companies, or friends with the owners/directors????

I know the Lib Dems are still part of the coalition, but at this point it is essentially a Tory Government. The Lib Dems have no option but to either resign or tow the line. Personally I think they should break up the Government and force an election.

Nice move by the Tories shortly after they got into power to make terms 5 years. They cemented their dodgy position for at least that amount of time... Seems most people do not appreciate quite what that did when they introduced that. It will also encourage a mind-set of short-term-ism, like they suffer in the US, and will only look to the polls and elections for decision making.

I hope Angela Merkel's party lose the elections in Germany this time and get kicked out of office. They have been in power far too long (since 1954 if I heard the news correctly). Time the Germans stopped fearing a repeat of 1932.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
scampy View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 9:45am
The NHS operates at cost but the companys they buy the medicine from dont, or should i say the companys that they are forced to buy medicine from dont work at cost. Private companys are a lot better at saving money if they didnt they wouldnt exist so they can operate for profit and be cheaper. The NHS is an overly bloated beurocratic mess, if they sorted that out first and sorted their procurement practices maybe maybe we would have a better and more efficient system. but thats got nothing to do with them restricting competetion. Although i do believe in the UK we have one of if not the best free at point of use medical services in the world. And you cant knock that
.......... блять
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 10:01am
Quote I'm willing to bet that by the time this Government leaves office, they will have effectively privatized the NHS. The Cons wanted to do this for years, but they never had the chance.

Don't think they will have effectively privatised the NHS Pointy, but they certainly will have nudged it in that direction.

Quote I know the Lib Dems are still part of the coalition, but at this point it is essentially a Tory Government.

Agreed, it was always going to be that way. Effectively the Conservatives gained power despite not achieving a majority. And now they are too arrogant to listen to the economists that are screaming at them not to cut too much, too quick. Basic economic theory means nothing to them.

Quote How many Tories are shareholders of these companies, or friends with the owners/directors????

One of your conspiracy theories I'd very much like to sign up to... where do i sign on the dotted line Pointy? Smile
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 4:44pm

SIGN HERE: ___________________________

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 9:49am
Big%20smile
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 12:36am

Best regards,
Vulcan.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2011 at 10:08pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12951319

Quote BBC political correspondent Norman Smith said that, among the likely changes to the legislation, there could be measures to outlaw the "cherry picking" of profitable NHS services by private health providers.

Hmmm - correct me if I'm wrong, but when you make a PROFIT, it means you PAY MORE for services than if you ran them at cost.

Why are private companies allowed to PROFIT from running parts of the NHS? This, by definition, means IT WILL COST MORE TO RUN THE WHOLE THING!

Best regards,
Vulcan.
Marmite View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 10:39am
See scampy's post...
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 12:03pm
Why are private companies allowed to PROFIT from running parts of the NHS?

Because if they didn't, they couldn't function as a company Pointy.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic