This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Religion may become extinct in nine nations!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 9:33am
Originally posted by RAS RAS wrote:

Quote Cylon for me.

Yes! Just watched the whole series recently. What an ending!

My son's back from uni, last night we got through three episodes on DVD. I've seen it before, my son hasn't.

Superb series, written by some of the Deep Space 9 writers. 

But the ending was poo I thought.
Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 9:36am
Really? I thought it was an excellent twist.
One of the few series I've seen that was consistently good throughout.

Apologies for going off topic Embarrassed
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 9:42am
Hmm... when we get to the end, I'll give it some more thought. But the first time I saw it, I thought the end lost it's way. I expected something better.
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2011 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Herky Herky wrote:

The universe could have been different from the way that it is in many ways. It could have had different laws of physics; it could have had a different arrangement of planets and stars; it could have begun with a more powerful or a weaker big bang.

Irrelevant really since, whatever it was like or however it was arranged, if we were sitting here now reading this post or never existed, it wouldn't matter one bit.

The vast majority of these possible universes would not have allowed for the existence of life, so we are very fortunate indeed to have a universe that does.

We evolved according to the conditions available. We may have evolved differently given different conditions.
If we hadn't evolved to the level required to ponder the argument or didn't exists at all then the argument is moot, therefore, is there an argument at all? Seems a bit Zen like to me...

We may also be a very insignificant part of the entire makeup of the universe. Making judgements on the existence of life according to certain conditions we believe to be true may be a little naive.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic