This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tower, van and spotty

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmonsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tower, van and spotty
    Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 9:30pm
Hello all, I just got traffic x trying to make the transition from fs9 to fsx and I must say that Im glad I have not deleted fs9 after so much time, effort and money into it, but at the same time I want to start working on fsx and decided to start w/ai traffic, I really like some of the traffic x features but I m a little disappointed w/the quality of AC compared to what I installed from ai aardvard-the fruit stand-fs painter  etc in fs9 , the problem I have is im used to traffic tools and ai creator for all the ai traffic and w/fsx my hands are tied so thats why i decided to give this a try, but I have decided to use world of ai for fsx but I would like to know if there is a way to keep the towers , the van and the spotter from traffic x but the world of ai traffic?
It maybe wishful thinking but what the heck.
Thanks.
dmonsa
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 10:15pm

Try this ... keep Traffic X installed (so you can keep the van, spotter and tower).  Rename the "TrafficX.bgl" AI file so that FSX does not use it.  Then, just install and use your planes and flight plans and traffic file(s) from WOAI as normal.

If that simple method doesn't work, then I can envisage other methods which might achieve what you want ... but the methods I am thinking of are all far more involved, requiring a bit of work and maybe some manual file manipulation, followed possibly by a recompile of the traffic database.  And, of course, they're just ideas in my mind which would remain unproven until tried and tested.  But there's no sense going there unless the simple approach above doesn't get the results, AND you are prepared to put in the time and work which perhaps is required.
Chuck Morse View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Morse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 11:11pm
Freddy's suggestion should certainly work.  Renaming the TrafficX.bgl file will disable all of the TrafficX Flightplans but leave the rest of the product intact.  So you should not see the TrafficX traffic, but should be able to use the other pieces.  Just remember that the the WOAI flight plan files are in FS 2004 format, so if you use them as they are they will disable any flightplans in FSX format.  This should not be a problem if all you use are the WOAI flight plan files.  But if you ever want to add traffic that is in FSX format, you will need to remove your WOAI files or recompile them into FSX format. 

Chuck Morse
dmonsa View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmonsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 11:12pm
Thank you freddy , I can see the theory behind it and it makes sense. When you say rename the trafficx.bgl , do you mean to something like trafficxorig.bgl? and do i leave it in the same directory? by the way where is this file?   Thanks again.
dmonsa
dmonsa View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmonsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2011 at 11:23pm
Found it, but i see another file named    trafficaircraft_bgl... is this the fsx stock traffic renamed?    I will let you know how the experiment works or if someone else tries it I d love to read it.
Thanks.
dmonsa
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 10:15pm
Confirming that "TrafficAircraft_bgl" is the stock FSX default traffic file, renamed by the Traffic X installer.  If you uninstall Traffic X, this file will be renamed back by the uninstall process.

Yes, rename the file to something like "TrafficXorig.bgl" or "TrafficXdefault.bgl".  However, keep in mind that FSX usually loads ANY .bgl file that it finds.  So, you should EITHER rename it in a similar way to how the Traffic X installer renamed the FSX default "TrafficAircraft.bgl" file ... ie, "TrafficAircraft_bgl" with an underscore so that the file is effectively NOT a .bgl file anymore ... or ... simply MOVE the file out of the FSX folder altogether and in to another folder or backup folder (ie, move it completely OUT of the whole FSX folder).  Personally, I'd just do what's easiest; rename it with the underscore.

And, Chuck's advice above is correct, "...remember that the WOAI flight plan files are in FS 2004 format, so if you use them as they are they will disable any flightplans in FSX format.  This should not be a problem if all you use are the WOAI flight plan files.  But if you ever want to add traffic that is in FSX format, you will need to remove your WOAI files or recompile them into FSX format."
Chuck Morse View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Morse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2011 at 11:16pm
The renaming has to change the part of the filename after the dot.  You need to change it to something other than .bgl  That will disable it as a traffic file.
Chuck Morse
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic