This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Israel Silent On 'Iran Attack Practice'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Israel Silent On 'Iran Attack Practice'
    Posted: 25 Jun 2008 at 9:02am

Israel is remaining silent on reports it has rehearsed an attack on nuclear sites in Iran.

An%20Israeli%20F-16%20fighter
An Israeli F-16 fighter

A massive military exercise in the eastern Mediterranean earlier this month involved more than a hundred Israeli F16 and F15 fighters, according to American officials.

They have said it looked like a practice drill for a possible operation taking out Iran's nuclear installations.

The Israelis are keeping their enemies guessing. Officials here will only say the Israeli Air Force is "prepared for all the threats Israel faces" and that it regularly drills to prepare for such threats.

But the operation in the Mediterranean was unprecedented in both its scale and its scope. Reports claim it extended to the west exactly as far as Iran's nuclear sites lie to the east.

The operation is said to have included refuelling tankers to test the Israeli Air Force's ability to carry out bombing missions 1,500 kilometres from home. And Israeli rescue helicopters were also involved reportedly, to practise extracting downed airmen.

Intelligence analyst Alon Ben David told Sky News that the exercise practised Israel's capability but also was intended to make a point.

VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2008 at 2:47pm
I don't blame them. Why do we think we have a right to know what they're thinking?

It told its pilots to never discuss the bombing of the Iraqi nuclear plant, but released a news report the next day to the shock of those involved. That's just the way they do things.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2008 at 3:11pm

Great warning to Iran, and confirmed their capability of conducting a long range strike on the nuclear facilities.

I think any nation surrounded by countries that were hostile to them and prepared to make threats, would do the same thing.

If they do take out the Iranian capability, they have done us a favor; we won't have to spend weeks negotiating for permission at the UN. Wink

Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2008 at 3:21pm
Any attack on Iran would be catastrophic... I find it sick the world isn't prepared to take action against what Israel is doing. 

Quote I don't blame them. Why do we think we have a right to know what they're thinking?

The world seems to think that for Iran? Iran is always in the headlines for it's programme, but Israel can get away with it's own programme, without declaring anything? One poor sod being imprisoned for 17 years isn't enough to wake people up then I guess.

You guys really need to be more open minded, especially when our leaders are not.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2008 at 3:34pm

The attack, as with the Syria attack would be on the reactor only Odai, not a full scale attack on Iran. They have done this twice before.

All Iran has to do is to have a 'friendly' and cooperative dialogue with the west, not make ambiguous speeches that could be interpreted as threats and not conduct a nuclear program, that provides them with the means to make nuclear weapons. It's not difficult is it really?

Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2008 at 4:49pm
Quote All Iran has to do is to have a 'friendly' and cooperative dialogue with the west, not make ambiguous speeches that could be interpreted as threats and not conduct a nuclear program, that provides them with the means to make nuclear weapons. It's not difficult is it really?

True, but they do have the right not to engage in dialogue and still remain in one piece. Personally I think Iran and Israel are both as bad as eachother, neither should have access to nuclear arms in an ideal world. But in an ideal world no-one would have access to them...
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2008 at 6:41pm
True, but they do have the right not to engage in dialogue and still remain in one piece

Failure to engage in dialogue wouldn't result in them not remaing in one piece. Enriching uranium and threatening the west might. Doesn't sound a very logical approach to me.

Anyway, 'remaining in one piece' is irrelevant this topic refers to disabling their uranium enriching capabilities. Not total obliteration of Iran.

Would be nice if no one had access to nuclear weapons, but unfortunately you can't dis-invent any technology. Israel has nuclear weapons now, we can't go back in time and take them away, however we can deter a nation that has made their hostile intentions clear.

Don't forget, there is very good evidence that Iran funds terrorism and supplies arms. Terrorism affects us all, including those of us tucked up in our comfy beds at night. Would we really want this nation to have access to a nuclear capability... I don't think so.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2008 at 7:06pm
Quote Iran is always in the headlines for it's programme, but Israel can get away with it's own programme, without declaring anything?

You keep failing to recognize that Iran would ACTUALLY USE THEM, whereas Israel et. al are using them as a deterrent against a possible nuclear strike.

In a nuclear war there are only losers. Most would die in all-out war, and the leaders would be left with nothing worth controlling, so they don't use them (a wise choice).

Iran however will use them irrespective of that fact. Israel don't want nuclear war with Iran either - they don't want Iran to use nukes as Israel doesn't wish to retaliate with the same.

Assume Iran did nuke Israel, Israel would nuke back; thre's no doubt about it. That opens the gates of hell, and we might find China and other unstable nuclear countries lunching at others. Within 24 hours, the world (and most of the life on it) would be destroyed.

I know that sounds apocalyptic, but once nukes have been used on a large scale like that, really, what is stopping others using theirs? The fall-out would be horrendous for those who are left!

Best regards,
Vulcan.
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 5:58pm
As I posted in the other thread, it's not Iran's style to launch a rocket at Israel.  They will launch a truck from Lebanon, driven by a Hezbollah loonie, who will park it and escape, or who will wait to embrace the 72 virgins he'll earn from his mass murder, oh, excuse me, his martyrdom.

Just a point of correction here... It's not the Iranian reactor that is the issue.  The enrichment process consists of "cascades" of hundreds of centrifuges.  Those or the processing and fabrication facilities will be the Israeli targets.

Israel will have a more difficult time reaching Iran over what amounts to hostile air space, i.e. possibly including Jordan, Syria, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait than it has practicing over open water.  None the less, if it can be done, they'll figure a way.

It's interesting that F-16s and F-15s are the same aircraft that were used against Osirik way back in the early 1980s.  I suspect that the firmware has changed a bit since then.  They are still among the best.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 6:19pm
Israel will have a more difficult time reaching Iran over what amounts to hostile air space,

I believe they actually did just that during this very exercise John, mid air refuelling all the way to the objective, or most of the way, crossing into Syria according to the BBC news map.

I could be wrong but that was the impression I got.
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 6:21pm
Hadn't heard that.  Nor did I hear Syria griping about incursions into their air space.  Are you sure they weren't referring to the historical perspective of the Osirik raid? 

In any case, if it can be done and they decide to do it, they will find a way.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 6:42pm
The BBC showed an animated map with the aircraft crossing the border John. Not sure if they overflew their objective, shouldn't think so but it was a long range exercise.

This is all I can find for now, perhaps I was mistaken.

Iran's defiant message follows a report in the New York Times on Friday.

The newspaper cited US Pentagon officials as saying that the Israeli exercise - involving more than 100 Israeli fighter jets - was intended to demonstrate the seriousness of Israel's concern over Iran's nuclear activities, and its willingness to act unilaterally.

It said helicopters and refuelling tankers flew more than 1,400km (870 miles), roughly the distance between Israel and Iran's main uranium enrichment plant at Natanz.

The New York Times reported that Israeli officials declined to discuss the details of the exercise. The US state department would not comment on the Israeli exercise.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 6:46pm
Apologies, I must have got it wrong!

More than 100 Israeli fighter jets took part in manoeuvres over the eastern Mediterranean and over Greece in the first week of June, US officials said.
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 8:34pm
If Israel overflew Syria you'd have heard Assad all the way to the UN without benefit of a telephone.  Cry
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 8:39pm
I seem to remember Syria claiming they had fired on Israeli jets last year, for violating their airspace.
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 8:40pm
Exactly...
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 8:41pm
What sort of defensive capabilities do they have?
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 8:49pm
"http://www.debka.com/article.php?aid=1301"

Good article here.  They seem to have some Russian trash that didn't work when the Israeli's took out the North Korean RX site a while back.   

Syria's best AA defense is in the General Assembly of the UN.  Nothing else they do will faze Israel much.

VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2008 at 9:36pm
Hi,

Israel entered Syrian airspace not long ago to attack what they thought was another nuclear reactor. Whilst they cane up against air defenses, they were easily dealt with. Apparently what Iran has is even easier to defeat.

You've got to remember that even if the technology Iran, etc.. has is the best, it's operators aren't necessarily matching the capability.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
md11nlm View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote md11nlm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2008 at 3:16am
One asserts China will get involved, if an attack on Iran occurs.  How? And just as important - Why?

China, India even Pakistan wish not to get involved in regional disputes.

For certain, U. S. Naval Forces will gather off the coast of Iran, and perhaps off the coast of Israel.  Such an exchange will fuel fire conditions from Hamas to Hezbalough (sic) all at once, Saudi Arabia, Jordan will have to stay back.

The American Forces and it coalition partners will have to seek shelter, as with the Iraqi's.

But be assured, Iran will fall, very fast.  
Peter,
American Airlines, the businessmen Airline circa 1980
KPIE & Tampa,FL RR station.
Favorites: St. Kitts, W.I. and Union Station Chicago, IL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic