This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DC-3 Legends of Flight
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Engine sounds

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fairmont. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine sounds
    Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 11:15am
The engines in flight emit the sounds of an idling engine. After installing the Sonic Solutions pack I can still hear the idling sounds, albeit now a little over-ridden by the roar you would expect - but the idling sound remains and is driving me nuts, spoiling every flight. I have been in the cockpit of a DC3 in flight (and have the Classic Cockpits DVD of a real aircraft cockpit in flight) and I do not recall this idling sound. In fact the default DC3 engine sounds are better.

Has anyone else experienced this, and if so do you have any suggestions?

I am running FSX on a Quad Core machine with Windows 7/64 bit.

Regards.

John G
johnwillimas View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnwillimas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2011 at 10:59am
Yes, you're right, I've got this problem too.....
papeg View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote papeg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 2:12pm
I, for one, have not seen this problem.
Greg
VH-MAL View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VH-MAL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 10:14pm
Me too!

Malcolm

Rich View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2011 at 11:10pm
Hi,

Please report this to the support team so that it can be investigated.
Thanks.
Fairmont. View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fairmont. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2011 at 1:30am
I have reported it and the answer was that this idling sound is embedded in the sound file and cannot be removed.

If this is the case then shouldn't a new sound file be created as a patch?

J.G.
yann975 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yann975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2011 at 6:24pm
It's same for me.
And when We flight night Can't close dome light.

BertAtHome View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BertAtHome Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2011 at 8:33pm
Hi,

I noticed the idle sound during cruise also. Its indeed very annoying!
Engine sounds on the DC3 should be key enjoyment. That why we fly the DC3!

Hoop for a solution soon.

eatkins View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 12:46am
Great plane but I hope they fix that sound because it messes up the sound.
Also I get tired of hearing the idle soundTongue

Eddie
ShawnG View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShawnG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2011 at 4:44pm
same here as well, also have W7/64
eatkins View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 10:19pm
Just wondering if the sound package that Sonic Solutions sells for other DC-3 has the same problem. If not, will it work with J/F DC-3? I say that because of this statement "If anyone has already installed the Sonic Solutions DC-3 sound pack, they should still install this upgrade as the sounds have been modified specifically for our DC-3".

I will pay the 12.00 bucks just to get rid of the idling sound.

Eddie

Fairmont. View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fairmont. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2011 at 11:07pm
Eddie,

I have completely deleted the DC3 package and the Expansion Pack, then reloaded both followed by the Service Pack1 update (I didn't reload the Sonic Solutions add-on at this stage). What do I find? The damned idling sound is still there.

I would avoid this product and put your money elsewhere. I am very disappointed, as you can see. I think the DC3 package is a dismal failure because of the sound. Just one little thing has let an otherwise reasonable product down. But then the graphics in the cockpit are a bit yesteryear, too.

John G
iandiss View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iandiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 9:11am
The Sonic sound package is awful. After long searches I found this one, I think at flightsim.com. It does lack some of the functions of dedicated FSX sound files but it is the best of those I have installed. The file is "dc3sond.zip" for fs2004.

Rename the sonic sound file to something like "orig_sound" and create a new "sound" folder  then copy the the files in the zip file to the new "sound" folder.

You've got nothing to lose other than awful sounds.

Looking at the sonic website the $12.00 seems to be as bad as the sound update provided.

As for the cockpit I attended the Avalon Airshow at Avalon, Victoria, Australia,over the last 3 days and looked at several DC-3's. The only thing you can say is that there is no standard layout. The instrument panel in the JF DC-3 is almost exactly the same as an ex RAAF DC-3retired in 2002. The over head panels have all been updated at some time and are more like the MAAM DC-3, but not exactly. Some have early GPS units others the Garmin 430.

Depends on what you want, a 1930's layout or one thats been modified over the yaers to be almost modern.

dissy
If it aint round it aint got the sound
Fairmont. View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fairmont. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2011 at 10:09pm

Thanks for the sound file tip, dissy.

You're right about the Sonic Solutions update - the horrible sound is there with it and withour it, which to me says Sonic Solutions ain't what they say they are. Buyer beware!

JF and Sonic Solutions got it right for external sounds, though...it's just a terribel shame they ignored the internal engine sounds. Attention to detail in a product offered for sale is so important.

I have been in the cockpit of several DC3's, too (and in flight) and I noticed the differences, as well, which obviously is brought about, in the main, by changing rules, regulations, and advances in technology (safety as well), as I'm sure most of us are aware. I wasn't referring to what was in the cockpit in my earlier post but the graphics: for an item with $ attached to it I expected better (a look at other products will illustrate my meaning): the outside is fine, though.

I still hope that JF will do something about this sound, though. It doesn't do their image any good.

Regards,

John G
vance View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 6:54pm
Hey guys, Vance here from Sonic Solutions. I've recieved no help tickets from Just Flight DC3 customers or from Just Flight themselves regarding any issues about the audio add on I supplied for them. Seems everyone is content to just moan about it here on the forums. 

Fairmount you said "I have completely deleted the DC3 package and the Expansion Pack, then reloaded both followed by the Service Pack1 update (I didn't reload the Sonic Solutions add-on at this stage). What do I find? The damned idling sound is still there." If my sound pack is completly removed and you still here idling then wouldn't that tell you it's something other than the sound pack causing the issue?

Regardless, Let me take a look and see what's up. I don't have the service pack so I'll leave it up to JF to get me any updates so I can fix it if it's something wrong with the pack I supplied them.
iandiss View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iandiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 9:37pm
Hi Vance,

I am guilty of not going through the support system. The issue with the sound pack is the embedded idle sound in the cockpit when at climb cruise and descent. The external sounds are very good.

What we all want to hear is that throaty radial roar from the cockpit.

Hope you can find the problem for us.

Regards
dissy
eatkins View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 11:20pm
The embedded idle sound can be heard on the outside as well. I bought the DC-3 after the patch was out. With that said I did not need the patch and I added the expansion pack. I can hear the idle sound. Just my 2 cents worthSmile

Eddie 
vance View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 11:41pm
I'm not concerned with the outside as all compalints are about the interior idle. If someone could email me their sound.cfg file so I can compare it and test it that would be great. Email to sonicsolutions@live.ca
eatkins View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eatkins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2011 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by vance vance wrote:

I'm not concerned with the outside as all compalints are about the interior idle. If someone could email me their sound.cfg file so I can compare it and test it that would be great. Email to sonicsolutions@live.ca
-------------------------------------------------------------
Well Vance I am sorry you are having a bad day, that reply was harsh ! If the sound is on the outside then why not be concerned??? Fix one then the other ok but just because you only have one compalint about the outside I would think you would check it as well. Maybe they are linked!Wink

Eddie
vance View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 12:02am
Hi Eddie, Sorry you feel my comment was harsh. I've seen alot of harsh comments directed to me in this thread yet I was willing to help out.

The reason why I'm not concerned about the outside is that it has nothing to do with the interior. The exterior and interior sound design does not share any code or assetts with each other.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic