This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Severe PC Problems, BSOD, etc

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aircraft Aviation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Severe PC Problems, BSOD, etc
    Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 10:51am
Hi everyone,

Unfortunately after browsing the web recently my PC suffered from a very severe BSOD issue which has yet to recover.

Long story short; AVG did not detect a problem with an executable file which, quite frankly, contained enough viruses this side of the sun to wipe my PC out.

It does start... But only after about 5 times. It will get to the windows welcome screen, then BSOD, then restart itself... And so on... And after the fifth time the PC will function normally.

I have contacted Wired2Fire and they have reccommended a re-install of the OS (Windows 7 64-Bit). Some questions:

- How hard is it to reinstall the OS?
- Will I loose all of my data?
- Is it worth it? As I said, the PC does eventually work.. But only after 5 times of it struggling to start up.

Regards,

AAWink

Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 12:39pm
Windows 7 install is relatively pain free - pretty quick, 10/20 minutes or so.
You could try a repair install which will keep your stuff intact. A full install will wipe everything.
Depends if it's worth it to you. Obviosuly something is wrong and there could be other things going on in the background that you are not aware of.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 12:51pm
As Magic said. Installing W7 is easy. And i would say most definitely do it, with all that nonsense happening to your PC.

You will have to install all the motherboard drivers afterward. Like graphics card, Ethernet, chip set, sound etc... But they should be on your MB CD. Or the latest from your MB's web site.
twright View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twright Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 1:38pm
You shouldn't loose your data if you don't reformat the hard drive.  When I reinstalled Windows, it retained all the original data and stored it in a folder called "WindowsOld" in the root of your hard drive.
Kind regards,
Tom
Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 2:46pm
Hello AA, 

Just out of interest, which "viruses" did AVG not detect and are they the cause of your "Blue Screen of Death"?

If you do a re-install of W7 and choose the "keep old system files" option, I would be concerned about those "viruses" lurking in the old files somewhere! Unless you upgrade to a more formidable anti virus suite and do a complete scan/cleanup. Bye the bye, I use Eset NOD32 which does it for my system!

Good luck,

Regards
Herky.
You Tube at HERKY231 or David Herky

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 2:54pm
 I would be concerned about those "viruses" lurking in the old files somewhere!

Exactly!

Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 4:22pm
Quote - How hard is it to reinstall the OS?

Not in the slightest bit hard, very simple and easy. What is a massive pain in the backside however is getting all your configurations/settings back to the way you want them, reinstalling and setting up all your software, activations, and God knows what else. Took me a few days to do mine, then I installed all my games over the next week or so.

Quote Will I loose all of my data?

If you format, yes. But you really should format to get rid of the virus.

Quote - Is it worth it? As I said, the PC does eventually work.. But only after 5 times of it struggling to start up.

Only something you can answer really. However, if it was me, having to boot 5 times to get my PC to work would be unacceptable, too much of a hassle. Don't forget, you'll also have the virus problem still present.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Aircraft Aviation View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aircraft Aviation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 5:05pm
Looks like a reinstall of W7 is the only option now!

The PC has completely died, it will not even get past the Windows 7 "Welcome" screen now before suffering a BSOD.

So yes, a complete reinstall would be best. I don't want to loose my files, but hey, I don't want to keep the viruses either.

How can I reinstall it though? Don't you have to hit F12 at the startup with the W7 DVD in my drive?

AAWink

Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aircraft Aviation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 5:44pm
Hi everyone,

I have managed to start W7 in Safe Mode with command prompt sucessfully.

Is there any way i can access some simple notepad files before beginning the reinstall? I just want to save three notepad files, one of which is the fsx.cfg. The other is located on the desktop.

Regards,

AA

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 5:49pm
Well have you treid? They should be accessible in safe mode shouldn't they. Smile
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aircraft Aviation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 5:58pm
I can acess them, but not save them unfortunately.

I cannot print them either, as no USB devices are recognised. Can't upload to a site like medafire, as the internet doesn't work for me in safe mode. Also, I can't use CD storage disks, as they aren't recognised either!

Gah!Cry

Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aircraft Aviation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 6:24pm
Hi everyone,

I have begun the reinstallation progress of W7.

The system is asking me where i want to install. Do I select C drive, or "System Reserved".

AAWink

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 6:55pm
System reserved is all the W7 boot files.

Is this not a complete reformat then?

I would think C, or whatever your drive letter is.

But I may be wrong.
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aircraft Aviation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 7:00pm

I selected C Drive, and the installation went okay...

Up until the point where the installation had to restart itself. I cannot complete the installation, because whenever the PC restarts it is guarenteed to get the BSOD when it starts up again.

Back to wired2fire I think...

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 7:02pm
Is this an overclocked PC?
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 7:07pm
Whats the error message with the BSOD?

I'm wondering if the overclock is messed up, and/or you have a clogged CPU cooler.

Is it...

Stop Code: STOP 0x0000007F

UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
If so ram, overcloking, or defective MB componants.

Codes definitions are here...

Marmite View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Marmite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 7:47pm
If you can boot into safe-mode with networking, and the PC remains stable with no BSOD for a couple of hours then it could be that the virus has corrupted a device driver, but as you can't complete a reinstall now, Martin's suggestion of a ram/overclock issue seems more likely.

Any info you can dig out of the blue screen will help wired2fire diagnose the issue, and sort out the curious among us
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aircraft Aviation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 8:11pm
Hi everyone,

It is:

STOP 0x0000000A
IRQL_NOT_LESS_EQUal

I am positive it is nothing wrong with the manufacturing of the PC or components, as it was running perfectly before the crash, straight after I accidently executed that dodgy file.

It is definitely a virus/software/driver issue. Hopefully Wired2Fire can help out!

Regards,

AA

Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aircraft Aviation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 1:59am
Hi everyone,

I have some very surprising but fantastic news.

I have reinstalled Windows 7 (god knows how, it usually BSODed 25% through each install). ALL problems sorted, and, better yet, ALL files preserved.

They are, however, in the "Windows.Old" folder. As such, I will only retrieve the files I really want and then reinstall FSX, REX, FTX etc.

Furthermore, the PC is running smoother and faster than ever.

Regards,

AAWink

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2011 at 11:08am
That would make sense...

Stop Code: STOP 0x0000000A

IRQL_NOT_LESS_EQUAL

Is...

Code Meaning : Faulty device drivers, or services from backup utilities or virus scanners.

I guess, as you didn't do a complete reformat, the damaged files were still present on the drive and causing a BSOD.

A complete reformat would have been my choice, but glad you've been successful. Smile

Any future issues related to this, you will have to do a reformat. So backup your important files now!

Anything you take out of "Windows Old" I would scan it first.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic