This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Traffic X

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Traffic X
    Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 9:51pm
Hey,

Is anybody using Traffic X, What do you think of it?

I am using WoAI at the moment how does it compare?

Also is it worth having the extra Traffic X PlusPak - Civil & Military?

Thanks in advance.
Ben435
Chuck Morse View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Morse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 9:06pm
I am surprised that no one has replied to this post with their thoughts and experiences but I will provide some of mine.  However, because of my initial reaction to the product, my experiences with it are somewhat limited.  I should explain that I too was using World of AI prior receiving TrafficX as a gift.  I removed my WOAI files and installed TrafficX.  Without making any enhancements using the TCC I did find that it added a nice amount of AI traffic.  If that is all you need, it does the job nicely.  But there were a few things that bothered me and I went about fixing them myself.  Before I get into what they were, I should explain that I did all of this before the service pack came out.  So many of these things may be fixed in the service pack.  But when the service pack came out I had made so many changes to the aircraft.cfg files for the TrafficX aircraft, I was afraid that installing the service pack would undo most of what I had done.  So I am still running without the service pack.

So back to the things I didn't like.  I think the first thing I noticed was that many of the large aircraft were parking in places that were way to small for them.  It appeared that no matter what the real size of the plane, it would fit in a parking spot with a radius of 15m.  So I corrected the wing-span values of many of the TrafficX aircraft (To be fair, I believe this is a problem with some of the WOAI aircraft as well). 

Then there were a lot of missing call signs.  Installing EditVoicePack is a must if you want to hear all the call signs, but even after installing EditVoicePack there were a lot missing.  So I looked at the callsigns in the aircraft.cfg files and many of them were just plain wrong.  So more updates to the aircraft.cfg files.  Then I also discovered that some of the GA aircraft flightplans specified that the aircraft should be identified by flight number not tail number but there was no airline specified.  This contributed to more missing callsigns.

Then I encountered ultralights flying at 20,000 feet.  Both of these last two problems required modifications to the flightplans.  I had some difficulties trying to make the Traffic Control Center work and I didn't have the patience that Freddy and some of the others on this forum have, so I ended up separating out the flightplans I wanted to change and recompiling them with AI Flight Planner. 

Then I decided to do something about the phony "Merican" airlines.  I decided to use the WOAI American Airlines packages.  To make these work with TrafficX I needed to recompile the WOAI package as an FSX traffic file (the one that is supplied is an FS9 one).  This I also did with AIFP and that worked great.  

So I am still using TrafficX for those airlines that I do not have WOAI packages for.  As long as the WOAI files are recompiled into FSX format things coexist nicely.  Using the TCC you should be able to remove the airlines from TrafficX for which you have FSX WOAI packages and use them both together.  However, others on this forum are better able to tell you how to master the TCC to remove or modify the flightplans.
Chuck Morse
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 12:40am
Shortly after writing my response below, I remembered another post asked a similar question a while back.  You may wish to look at the PROS and CONS list I wrote in response to that post.  Looking at it again, there's a few things I would now add.  But, those are covered well enough below.  Here's a link: http://forum.justflight.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=15265&PID=125672#125672

I did earlier not see this post here, or I would have replied.  Suffice to say, Chuck's response above almost echos exactly what I would have written.  Nonetheless, here is my response ...

I was a previous user of Traffic 2005.  I have never used WOAI.  Traffic 2005 was great in FSX.  Being written for FS2004, I needed to install the appropriate patch to get it to run in FSX.  But it ran flawlessly and was easy to use.  I liked the ease with which I could use the Traffic 2005 interface to make changes and add new AI flight plans.  The announcement of Traffic X, specifically written for FSX and with DirectX 10 support, had me quite looking forward to its release.

Once Traffic X was installed on my system I quickly realised that the entire interface was different from Traffic 2005's interface.  This was no big deal, just a slight learning curve.  But some of the cool features that were in Traffic 2005 were now gone.  For example, with Traffic X it is not possible to SORT based on arrival airport, or flight number, or other such parameters.  This feature was invaluable in Traffic 2005 when adding or editing flight plans.  Without that feature, Traffic X makes it a little more difficult to do flight plan work.  Another lost feature in Traffic X which Traffic 2005 had is the ability to set the altitude at which the AI aircraft fly.  This results in all Traffic X GA planes flying (or should I say trying to fly) at 10,000 feet.  That would normally not be a problem, but when you have Piper Cubs TRYING to get to 10,00 feet and struggling, it can be annoying to hear the default FSX ATC continually asking then to expedite their climb to 10,000.  The differences between Traffic 2005 and Traffic X are not deal-breakers, but they do cause me a slight bit of frustration every now and then.

Unlike Chuck, I did put on the Traffic X Service Pack.  And I did this despite the many many many changes I had made to flight plans and adding my own etc.  I was happy to notice some fixed up liveries and a few other fixes here and there.  The Service Pack is good.  It did not affect any of the work I had done (Chuck, if you're reading this, you may wish to backup your stuff and then take the plunge ... I think you'll find it will be OK ... but if it doesn't work out as planned, then you can just use your backups to revert back).

I do agree with other comments that Chuck has made in that there are little niggles here and there with Traffic X.  Some missing callsigns, some incorrect wingspan values, ultralights at 20,000 feet etc.  If you know how to correct this kind of stuff, then it really isn't that much of a big deal to dive in and do the corrections.  And, to be fair, most of the callsigns are there and are correct, it is only a handful (in my experience) that are not right.  As for wingspan values, there is a kindly submitted wingspan values fix done by Jon Murchison available for download on the Traffic X support web pages.  I have downloaded this and it has fixed everything right up.  (Great work Jon and thanks.)  http://www.justflight.com/communityDownloads.asp?downloadCategoryID=45&downloadCommunityID=7

Despite the few niggles, it is possible to fix things up so that you have things fully functioning and working.  You'll probablly want to make a few flight plan tweaks to, say, remove ultralights and non-taxiing gliders and float planes ... but once you get these tweaks done, Traffic X does actually shine!  There are a few quirks here and there when working on flight plans, and some annoying issues to come to grips with, but all said and done, you are very quickly able to add and edit flight plans and make changes extremely easily.  Not to mention that you can also change things like aircraft range and wingspan values just as simply.  Add the ability to import downloaded planes in to the database and update the database with new runway and parking information if you add new scenery or a new airport/AFCAD, and you'll soon find that Traffic X is a full package that fits in nicely with your FSX and also works with other add-ons that you already have or may purchase in the future.

Chuck does mention that one needs a little patience if you want to do extensive work on flight plans.  Chuck is correct.  You do need patience.  It took me AGES to get my flight plans working the way I wanted them.  But, for me, this is part of what makes Flight Simulator a wonderful and enjoyable hobby.  Being able to make changes and modifications further enhances my fun.  Even the odd missing callsign here and there.  No big deal.  And Traffic X is fantastic in the way it provides the means and the tools to make all the edits I want.  However, despite that, and despite my having the patience, I do realise that making changes and doing edits etc may not be everybody else's idea of fun.  And, all said and done, I too would much prefer to just be FLYING instead of spending my time doing fixes and making modifications.  To be honest, right out of the box, Traffic X is just fine as is.  If you don't want to do any flight plan work, then you don't have to.

Traffic X also includes many many modified airports (AFCADs) to incorporate larger numbers of planes and also to include military aircraft.  I have not purchased the Military nor Civilian Plus Paks and therefore I cannot comment on those.  However, the military aircraft that come with native Traffic X and the AFCAD changes to airports are just fine for me and I have F18s, C130s and other military aircraft flying my skies right out of the box.  The AFCAD changes are not just for military, but also civilian airports as well.  You WILL notice changes, for the better, at your most visited airports.  Unfortunately though, SOME of the AFCAD changes can be a little buggy ... buildings float in the air quite obviously at some airports, trees appear in the middle of taxiways and aprons, planes and pushback vehicles stuck half-in half-out of buildings etc.  But these AFCAD errors are thankfully few and are not all that common.  Still, they can be VERY annoying when you notice them because it is not as simple to fix an AFCAD as it is to fix a missing callsign, or remove an AI ultralight flight plan.

In conclusion, despite the way this "review" sounds after mentioning the niggles here and there, I still do personally think that Traffic X is great.  Yes, it is annoying that there are some things which really should be right in the first place, but, generally these can quickly be fixed if you have the know how.  And I would be reasonably certain that other packages would also have their own share of shortcomings anyway.  I cannot really comment on how Traffic X compares to WOAI except to say that Traffic X's aircraft are made to fully support FSX (Direct X 10, moving cargo doors, full baggage car and fuel car support, jetway support, animations, the works, etc) whereas WOAI's models are generally still based on earlier versions of Flight Simulator which means in many cases they may not work with all the fanciness that FSX offers (although, to be fair, I have never used WOAI and therefore I'm not really 100% certrain here).  It is a great enhancement to the realism of Flight Simulator to see AI planes with their cargo doors open being serviced by baggage cars and fuel trucks and jetways etc.  Does WOAI do that?  Traffic X is great.  It does what I want, it makes it easy for me to add/edit flight plans, it is a great addition to Flight Simulator.  It does have its quirks, and some are quite annoying, but because I know how to fix them or bypass them, I can live with them.  I don't know if other packages are better (or worse).  I use Traffic X.  It does the job for me.

Chuck Morse View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Morse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2011 at 2:52am
So my last piece of advice is "pay more attention to what Freddy says that what I say".  He has gotten much deeper into TrafficX than I have.
Chuck Morse
Ben435 View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben435 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2011 at 2:50pm

Thanks for the in-depth response.

I have now got Traffic X installed on my PC. I personally don’t think it is as good as WoAI however it is allot more convenient.

The main thing I don’t like is the fact that the 767 looks nothing like a 767!

All in all it’s ok.

Thanks

Ben435

Darren View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2011 at 12:39pm
Hi Guys I have just got traffic x I was not sucsessful in instaling it cause I didnt have a supply pack i think it said anyway a computer mate of mine is going to do it install FSX and traffic x. Can you tell me on traffic x are Qantas on there and what aircraft can you fly with Qantas and is Virgin Blue represented also and what aircraft do they use and also is Skywest aswell represented in Traffic X and are they flyable aswell ?

Darren.Smile
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2011 at 10:05pm
I see from your profile you are based in Melbourne.  Hence you're asking about Australian planes and liveries.  For aircraft which fly in Australia ... Qantas is represented.  Virgin Blue is represented.  Skywest is represented.  Others you did not ask about include Jetstar and Tiger, both of which are represented.  Note that whilst Tiger is represented, Traffic X does not set any flight plans for it to fly in Australian skies.  But the Traffic X tools make it easy for you to add/edit this yourself.

Impulse is also represented, even though it is now a defunct airline.  Traffic X does set flight planes for Impulse - but you can remove it from appearing in FSX using the Traffic X tools.

With Traffic X, it is possible to set any of the AI planes as FLYABLE aircraft.  So you will be able to fly any of the planes (and liveries) that are in Traffic X, obviously this would include the Qantas, Virgin and Skywest planes.  (For Qantas, this includes but is not limited to, 737s, 747s, Dash-8s, A330s, etc.  For Virgin, the 737-800.  And for Skywest the Fokker 100s.)  However, be aware that these are AI planes and, as a result, to help keep the FSX overhead down and the frame rates low, they have "dumbed down" flight characteristics.  Also, they do not come with their own cockpits, but instead use the "closest match" cockpits from the FSX default planes.  If you are keen to fly these kinds of planes with proper flight characteristics and cockpit layouts, then you would be better advised to search the Internet for downloadable versions of the planes and liveries that you wish to fly.  From the Internet, I have obtained excellent Qantas, Virgin and Jetstar liveries for the FSX default aircraft.  For example, the excellent Qantas repaints for the FSX default 737 and 747 by Stephen Newton (if interested, do a Google search for "Stephen Newton VH-VXA Broome" and "Stephen Newton VH-OJB Mt Isa"), the Qantas and Jetstar repaints for the FSX default A321 by Jon Murchison, and the (fictional) QantasLink repaint for the FSX default CRJ-700 by Timothy Clark.  Those suggestions might get you started.

From the Internet, it is also possible to get AI versions (and even flyable versions) of V-Australia, Regional Express, Airnorth, Skippers, Brindabella, Royal Flying Doctor Service, and any other regional carrier or service which flies the Australian skies.  Not to mention Australia's newest airline, Strategic Airlines.  And, with the Traffic X tools, you can add/edit these planes in to FSX and create flight plans for them if you wish.
Darren View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 7:24am
Freddy thank you very much I am glad all thjose are represented I have been using FS9 with trafic 2005, I dont care about how the copit is laid out if it is like the ones on Traffix 2005 then that suits me fine I am just glad I can fly those airlines i asked about so thank you very much for answering my question now just got to get it all loaded into my pc now and looking forward to flying them. Once again thanks Smile
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 7:26am
You're welcome. I do highly recommend the livery suggestions I wrote about by Stephen Newton, Jon Murchison and Timothy Clark.  As an Aussie, these make FSX feel just that little bit closer to home.
Darren View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 11:28am
Yeah I will and I forgot about Jetstar and Tiger aswell. I know in Traffic2005 the flight plans dont include Tiger anywhere in Aus but thats ok I was flying them between Melbourne and Hobart in Trafic 2005. One thing I did notice on 2005 is that Virgin was flying into Cambridge aerodrome and not Hobart Airport, I wounder if that has been changed in Traffic x for Virgin to go into Hobart Airport and not Cambridge. With Air New Zealand I flew them a lot on the trans Tasman to so I hope they are in aswell. I should imagine that all the airlines that flew in Traffic 2005 should be prety much in Traffic X and maybe a few more airlines that were not in 2005, I am sooooo looking forward to using traffic X.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2011 at 11:02pm
Yes, Qantas and Virgin fly to Hobart, and I think the default Traffic X install flys them to Launceston as well.  Although, I've done literally hundreds of flight plan edits for my version of Australia, that I no longer really recall what the default install provides.  But I do know that all the capital city airports, Hobart included, are well represented by the major Australian airlines, Qantas, Virgin, etc from the default install.  Tiger probably being the only exception.  But, if you were confident making flight plan changes with Traffic 2005 (and it sounds from your post that you were), then you will soon be making similar changes with Traffic X.  Like you, I too had Traffic 2005 ... the first thing you notice is the Traffic X interface is quite different ... and there is a bit of a new learning curve as a result ... but it doesn't take all that long to get used to it.

Just a quick point too ... after you install Traffic X, be sure to download and put on the Traffic X Service Pack 1.  It may already be included with your install, but Traffic X has no version number display or anything to double-check with, and it won't hurt if you put this on over the top of your install anyway.  (Direct link: Traffic X Service Pack 1.)  Click here for

Service Pack Release Notes.

New Zealand Airlines is well represented and, yes, with Traffic X there are a lot of flights to and from the major (and minor) New Zealand hubs from the relevant Australian (and other) airports.

You are correct that all the airlines which flew in Traffic 2005 are pretty much represented in Traffic X.  Some were removed (those airlines are now defunct), but many more which were not in Traffic 2005 are now included in Traffic X.  Traffic X's range of included airlines is very extensive.  Worth noting though is that in the few short years since Traffic X's release, there have been a few airline changes in the world ... but Traffic X caters for this extremely well letting you add/remove liveries and flight plans pretty much at will.  Once you get in to it, it is easy.  For Australia, notable missing airlines include V-Australia and Regional Express (REX) ... not to mention some of the smaller (yet significant) regional carriers such as Brindabella, Airnorth and Skippers ... and then there's Australia's newest airline, Strategic, as well as Toll (freight) and probably the Royal Flying Doctor Service.  All missing from the default Traffic X.  But, as I have already said, it is simple to locate these on the Internet and very easy to add them in to Traffic X and include flight plans for them.  Thanks to the Internet, and Traffic X's ease of use, my Australian sky includes all of these.  And I've also placed FedEx, UPS and TNT freight flights in my Australia as well, which Traffic X does include, but not by default in the Australian skies.

Still, if you are not in to the Internet searching and adding new airlines and flight plans etc, the Traffic X install right out of the box is just fine anyway.  Not just for Australia, but for the whole world.  For Australia, you'd only maybe want to remove Impulse and perhaps add the Tiger flights (default Traffic X does include Tiger, but not in Australian skies). It's completely up to you.
Darren View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 10:36am
Hi Ben well after a lot of trial and error and a lot of great advice from Freddy, Traffic X is working and realy good now. After using FS2004 with Taffic 2005 for a long while I decided to give FSX and Traffic X ago, The difference between Trafic X and Traffic 2005, that I like is there are airlines you can choose that T2005 didnt have and aircraft that was not in T2005 that are encluded in Traffic X. Of late I have been flying around the Islands in the Paciffic with Air Paciffic and been able to use their 737s makes flying into the smaller Island airports more relistic than trying to fly a 747 into some where like Apia Traffic X has allowed me to do this using the Air Paciffic 737s. The one draw back I ahve with traffic X is they have made it hard to understand how to create flight plans where T2005 was much easier to use  and understand what you was doing. I think and its just my opiniun I think they should have stuck with the way you could complile and create flight plans on 2005 instead of reinventing the process of who you compile flight plans. I love how Launcestion get flights into and out of it does get quiye busy there, but on the minus side Virgin who fly into Hobart still fly into Cambridge Areodrome instead of Hobart airport, if anyone has ever been to Hobart they would know that Cambridge is used for light aircraft and not interstate passenger jets. In Traffic 2005 i was able to fix that by modifing the flight plans but I still dont know how to do that with Traffic X. FSX is a major step up from FS2004 and Traffic X is a major step up from Traffic 2005.
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2011 at 2:16pm
I agree that flight plans in Traffic 2005 were easy to do and understand.  I also agree that the changes made in Traffic X to the way you do flight plans can seem a little confusing.  However, after you do one or two, and you begin to understand how the different screens all work together to achieve the goal, you quickly realise that adding/editing flight plans in Traffic X isn't really all that hard at all.

Don't forget you can download and use the tutorials (click here: Traffic X Tutorials) to learn how to do flight plans in Traffic X.  Just remember that the flight plan tutorials unfortunately forget to mention that once you have finished adding new flight plans or doing edits, you do need to RECOMPILE THE TRAFFIC DATABASE before your changes will appear in FSX (and for that, click here: How do I re-compile the traffic database?).

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic