This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Simulator Project VIDEO ADDED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 18>
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DavidH73798 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2011 at 12:35pm
it looks really good tom! Big%20smile
djhamill
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 10:10am
Filled in a few holes/gaps last night as rubbed them down today and it's worked a treat, I've got a few more to fill in, then I'll hopefully be painting tomorrow.  More pics to come soon.

I'm going to give it an undercoat of white inside and out, then I'm going to get some RAL7011 (the colour of the 737 cockpit) and paint the inside with this. 

Tom
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2011 at 3:53pm
I've cut out thin strips of MDF and socked them in water for about 20 mins so they can be shaped round into the window.

You might not need it now Tom, but you can buy Flexi MDF. No need to soak, just bends to shape.

Bending wood is great fun. You can steam it in a steamer, to soften the sap, and then leave it in a jig to cool. Or laminate loads of sheets together and shape while wet, then leave in jig. When the glue dries it stays beautifully curved. You then cut and sand to shape.

I know you won't be doing that, but you must admit, it's tempting to have a go?

Tom, sorry to hear about your cat. But don't forget, Rottweiler's, like most dogs, like to "label" objects as their own, if you know what I mean. Big%20smile
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 9:04pm
Thanks Martin, never knew about Flexi MDF, I've bent all the wood I need into shape now ordinary MDF and it's worked well and I've managed to use up the scraps of MDF. 

Got started painting the Sim today, just a white undercoat first, then I start with the gloss:

TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 8:10pm
The whole shell is now painted inside and out with an undercoat, tomorrow I'm planning on painting the inside RAL.
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2011 at 8:07pm
I've now given the inside 3 coats of RAL 7011 and the outside has been glossed.  I tried taking pictures, but too dark with the night light so I'll get some tomorrow.
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2011 at 5:52pm
Hi everyone, big update today with more pics etc. 

Over my long weekend, I managed to paint the inside RAL and give the outside 3 coats of gloss paint, I've also got some look a like leather for the window, which you'll see in the pictures and today I fitted the perspex to get the reflection effect. 

There are four stages to the sim project as follows:

1) Build and paint the basic aircraft cockpit shell
2) Build all the instrument panels, pedestals etc
3) Build the wrap round screen
4) Install all the avionics, PM software, projectors etc

As you can see, stage 1 is nearly complete, all that is left to do is finish the right hand side window, touch up some paint, add a few more material strips on the side and overhead ans some more sanding down.   

So here are the shots, (sorry for the poor quality and dark light in some of them!)

In these two shots you can see the reflection effect:

Hope you like them!Big%20smile

TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2011 at 1:13pm
I got the other window done on Wed, here is a pic:
Heinz57 View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heinz57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2011 at 11:05pm
Wow, its looking brilliant Tom!

The hard work has realy paid off. I'm looking forward to seeing it progress more with the controls etc being added.

Nice work!
Jazz that's not a drawer its a trash compactor. And when Uncle Phil sees this it'll be a Jazz Compactor
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 7:47am
Originally posted by Heinz57 Heinz57 wrote:

Wow, its looking brilliant Tom!

The hard work has realy paid off. I'm looking forward to seeing it progress more with the controls etc being added.

Nice work!

Thanks, hopefully it won't be to long before that happens...
crmathie View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crmathie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 2:09pm
Looking great Tom keep up the good work can't wait to see the coppit going in and the finished job

Col.
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by crmathie crmathie wrote:

Looking great Tom keep up the good work can't wait to see the coppit going in and the finished job

Col.

Thanks, I'm hoping by the end of this month all the panels and the pedestal will be built, but I think it will be a wee while before I install all the avionics etc that's going to be the very last thing I do because I don't want to be left without any flight sim controls while the rest of the sim is being built. 

I've also to make the wrap round projector screen, has anybody got any ideas?  I don't know how I could make it without putting a few joins down the middle which is less than ideal. 

Heinz57 View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heinz57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2011 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by TomA320 TomA320 wrote:

I've also to make the wrap round projector screen, has anybody got any ideas?  I don't know how I could make it without putting a few joins down the middle which is less than ideal.

Hmm, where is the screen going, just where your windows are or more? How big will the area be it will cover?

I have an idea that could work. Remember projector screens are a flexible material, use just one peice that is big enough to cover the whole wrap around area. If that makes sence. So it will just be one large screen, without any joins. Fitted around the area you want to cover.

That might work
Jazz that's not a drawer its a trash compactor. And when Uncle Phil sees this it'll be a Jazz Compactor
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Heinz57 Heinz57 wrote:

Originally posted by TomA320 TomA320 wrote:

Hmm, where is the screen going, just where your windows are or more? How big will the area be it will cover?

I have an idea that could work. Remember projector screens are a flexible material, use just one peice that is big enough to cover the whole wrap around area. If that makes sence. So it will just be one large screen, without any joins. Fitted around the area you want to cover.

That might work

The screen will cover the front window and the two side windows. Each window is 75cm by 40cm and the main window is 125cm by 40cm.   I didn't want to buy a projector screen because I though it might get a bit too costly I was thinking more about MDF and projector paint. 

Thanks

Tom
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2011 at 7:18pm
This weekend I'm going to buy a triplehead2go for the sim and also a 24" TV for the instruments. 

I think a 19" would look too small and considering the amount of work I've put into the sim already I don't want it let down by a small screen.  So what I'm going to do is make a MIP and cut two large holes and still keep a strip of wood down the middle.  I'll then place the tv behind the two cut holes and it will look like two separate screens.  Then using Project Magenta I can drag the engine instruments over to the right hole and the PFD etc on the left. 

I'm not getting a fancy TV though, probably something like Technica as the picture quality will be sufficient for just the instruments. 

Also could someone please advice what is a good price to pay for the digital TH2G?  I was thinking £150?

TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2011 at 11:18am
Don't worry, I've not forgotten about the Sim, just been really busy studying for my exams. 

I've bought a few more products for the sim but more to come on that latter...
Heinz57 View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heinz57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2011 at 3:00pm
Looking forward to the next updates when they come.

The best of luck with your exams Tom!
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 11:19am
Thanks Matt, I've got my last exam tomorrow so the simulator project will get going again from Friday. 

I've ordered a few new products, here are a few pics below. 

23" widescreen monitor for the MIP. 

I've also won an opencockpits expansion card off ebay and got the master card and encoders in the post. 

The expansion card I got off ebay never came with the cable so the seller is "supposedly" going to send it.  Does anybody know how I can test the expansion card without having to wire everything up, just to see if it works?

Thanks
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 2:43pm
Looks like a standard USB "B" type connector on the card - just plug it into a USB port on your machine and see if it is recognised. (If you have a USB printer around, they're usually A-B cables)
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 2:51pm
Thanks Slopey, I'll have a look round and see if I can find one.  A bit concerned as when it arrived one of the prongs was bent over, hope it works ok.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 18>
  Share Topic