This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Simulator Project VIDEO ADDED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 18>
Author
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 2:55pm
Dunno about the panels, never ordered from there, but as far as I can make out, "unpopulated" is without the instruments, and populated would be with. But would be worth checking with them.
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 3:31pm
Wilco, thanks.
crmathie View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crmathie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 6:23pm
Its looking good tom can't wait to see the finished thing keep going

Col.
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2011 at 8:40pm
Thanks, the PVC is now on the roof and looking good.  I'll hopefully get a bit more done tomorrow. 
Heinz57 View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heinz57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 12:01am
Looking good Tom!
Jazz that's not a drawer its a trash compactor. And when Uncle Phil sees this it'll be a Jazz Compactor
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2011 at 7:46am

Thanks Heinz! Big%20smile

Originally posted by Slopey Slopey wrote:

Dunno about the panels, never ordered from there, but as far as I can make out, "unpopulated" is without the instruments, and populated would be with. But would be worth checking with them.

Got an email back last night, the "populated" means that the switches come with everything I just need to wire then up. 
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2011 at 7:58pm
Here are a few pics of the sim.  As you can see the pedestal is taking shape:

TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2011 at 8:53pm

I've now cut out the spaces in the pedestal for the avionics and trim wheel, hopefully by Sunday the inside and outside will be fully finished, here is what I still need to do over the weekend:

Paint the top of the pedestal and screw it down. 

Screw the perspex onto the front window.

Redesign the seat.

Fit the new carpet into the sim.

Add a few more leather strips down some areas.

Cut out the overhead panel. 

A touch up paint job.

Alsim logo on the outside.

Colour the staples black.

It seems a lot to do, but some of the jobs won't take very long so I think by Sunday it will be finished.  However I am not going to be installing the avionics or screens until the last moment.  After Sunday, I will need to construct the curved projection screen...no idea how I might go about that...!oh how I laughed
Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 12:05pm
What warp software are you using for the curved screen projection?
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 12:22pm
More to the point, (lets say nthusim for the software), what are your screen dimensions, throw distance, and which projector(s) will you be using? And how much physical space have you got to fit all this in.

Having a box resembling a cockpit is one thing, but placing it effectively with respect to the screen which satisfies the projector requirements is a whole different ball game.

I've not started my cockpit project yet (and likely I won't until after MS Flight is out now), but projector/screen placement is the first item on my list to ensure it'll give the desired effect.

Anyone know what kind of distance you need the screen to be at w.r.t the cockpit/seat in order to create the right sense of immersion?

Tom - note that projectors have limited throw distances - you can't just buy projectors then bank on moving the screen to see how it looks as you might end up with a small image at the center of the screen (with obvious screen blank around your view), rather than the bounds of the screen extend beyond the viewable area from the windows which would be what you'd want to achieve for immersion. And unless you have a throw distance of 3-5m, you're going to be on short throw projectors to get a decent size.
AirHauler Developer
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 1:40pm
The software I'm using will be Nthusim and it will be the Hitachi XGA projectors I'll be using.  I have already tried the projector before starting the project and the throw distance is fine.  It can project the full size of my wall from about 3 meters back.  The sides will be fine too as there is loads of room either side. 
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2011 at 3:55pm
So if your projector is 3m back from the wall, so a 3m radius curve, you'd need a diameter width for a full semi-circle - i.e. 6m? Do you have 6 meters in width? Or are you not going a full semi-circle?

Or do you need the whole 3 meters? I'm interested to see how large you actually need the image to provide an adequate field of view out the window.
AirHauler Developer
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2011 at 10:06am
I'll be using a 180 degree range for the projector, I could probably just about sget 6 metres in width.  Hopefully I will get triplehead2go pretty soon and 2 projectors so we can see what the result will be like.

In the meanwhile here are some pics of the pedestall:

TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 4:50pm
Hi,
I've got the chance to get 2 projector screens for £55.  One is a 8ft wide by 9ft tall (which would do the main window) and the other is 6ft by 9ft which would do the window.  Do you think this would be good?  It's obviously not curved by I think it would still look good. 

Here are a few more pics of the simulator: 

TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2011 at 10:53pm
Hi, been working on the sim for about 2 hours today and managed to get my monitor mounted! It's looking great and hopefuly by Wednesday I shall get my computer and controls linked up so expect a few more shots then. Next job will be mounting the yoke which won't be easy!
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 7:05pm
I've now got the sim working with the projector, screen and controls.  I still need to increase the picture size from the projector a touch though.  As for the side windows I'm not longer going to use a projector on each side but rather a 32" tv.  Reasons being is that it would be the same price and take up a lot less room. 
GEOFFERS View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEOFFERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 7:31pm
Toma320  I hope you are going to make a vid Thumbs%20Up of the first fight (SORRY flight) might be a que to use it and you must have drinks for when you land or will it be secret 1st flight 01:00 GMT Big%20smile  
It's easy to make a small fortune in aviation. You start with a large fortune.

GEOFFERS View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEOFFERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 7:33pm
1 FLIGHT is after you have tested it out Exclamation
It's easy to make a small fortune in aviation. You start with a large fortune.

Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2011 at 10:25pm
Originally posted by TomA320 TomA320 wrote:

I've now got the sim working with the projector, screen and controls.  I still need to increase the picture size from the projector a touch though.  As for the side windows I'm not longer going to use a projector on each side but rather a 32" tv.  Reasons being is that it would be the same price and take up a lot less room. 

But if you use a projector out the front, and a monitor either side, that'll look totally unrealistic due to the depth of field differences between the two (i.e. two monitors up close, and a projector screen some way off in the forward view).
AirHauler Developer
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2011 at 10:45am

Ok, Slopey, looks like I'll just use the projectors in that case.

Here are a few pics.  Still some way to go before fully finished:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 18>
  Share Topic