This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Simulator Project VIDEO ADDED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simulator Project VIDEO ADDED
    Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 12:19pm
Hi everyone, I'm going to be starting a Flight Simulator project soon, which will entail building a simulator cockpit and have the ability to fly without any need to touch the mouse or keyboard. 

I'm basing it on the KingAir, but it will only be a 1 seater sim. 

It's a big project and here is what it will include:

A main instrument panel which will use a 24" screen to show the instruments. 

A pedestal with a throttle, audio panel, trims etc. 

The shell to encase the instrument panels and a projector showing the visuals. 

The sim will also include an avionics panel which will include:
VHF/NAV
ADF
Transponder
AP

I shall be updating this post frequently with more news and pictures.  I'm still very much in the planning stage at the moment, but hoping to start around Feb.  Any ideas/requests would be very much appreciated. 

Tom

TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 4:52pm
Here are a few shots of the avionics which will be incorporated into the sim. 

I managed to get them at dealer price so saved a lot of money compared with the RRP. 

The transponder is still under production from Elite but I should have them in about 3 weeks. 
Edward Longe View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Edward Longe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 4:55pm
Best of luck Tom Thumbs%20Up

CAA= Cash Again,Again!
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 5:21pm
Thanks Edward.  

The first thing I'm going to be building is the MIP and glairshield.  I'm going to be paining the MIP the Boeing RAL 7011 color and hopefully get some nice black material for the glairshield. 
GEOFFERS View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEOFFERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 9:41pm
you can come and make me a simulator cockpit for a C130K TomA320 when your done oh%20how%20I%20laughed TEE HEE oh%20how%20I%20laughed best luck wth yours Tom, looking forward to seeing it.
It's easy to make a small fortune in aviation. You start with a large fortune.

ShrewsburyFC View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShrewsburyFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2011 at 9:53pm
Cant wait to see the end result Thumbs%20Up
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 9:37am
Thanks guys, might be a while yet.  I'm guessing it will take about 3-4 months to get it exactly how I would like, but perhaps even longer. 
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 10:52am
Can anybody recommend any switches etc for either the MIP or Pedestal? 

I am thinking of this from Saitek but I would only be buying it if I can get it cheap of ebay.

Magic Man View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magic Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 7:29pm

Sounds great Tom, keep us up to date and take pictures...

TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2011 at 7:38pm
Will do, I'm hoping to make this topic a bit like a "blog" style post with all the pictures and updates posted here.  I'm still planning out all the dimensions and materials etc ATM, but stay tuned!Thumbs%20Up
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2011 at 7:41am
UPDATE: 
 I've ordered the leads for the projector so hopefully they will arrive on Fri/Sat and I'll be able to take a few pics of the projector and monitor working together. Thumbs%20Up
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2011 at 7:56am
UPDATE- The transponder modual is now in stock so I'm getting the avionics shipped out this week so I'll take some pics when they arrive. 
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShrewsburyFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2011 at 8:43am
Sounds good Thumbs%20Up
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2011 at 1:55pm
Update:  I've now got my projector and screen working together, the screen showing the instruments and the projector showing the scenery it looks really good. 
I took a picture, but for some reason the scenery from the projector doesn't show on the camera. 
The avionics are due to arrive next week, Thursday or Friday so I'll get a few pics then. 

In the mean time I need a bit of help deciding where they should all go. 

I was thinking of having the Autopilot and HDG selector on the pedestal and the transponder, VFR radio and ADF on the MIP. This is the layout that the Alsim simulator at my flying club uses but would appreciate your thought. 

Thanks
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShrewsburyFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2011 at 10:45pm
Sounds like its comeing along nicely Cool
crmathie View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crmathie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2011 at 5:15pm
Sound good to me Tom dont forget to keep us updated with pics as well. Good luck with it.

Col.
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 9:55pm
Thanks, the avionic arrived today, unfortunately they didn't pass the customs check and I was forced to pay 20% VAT (£123) before I could collect them.  I'm gutted because I've never had to pay any VAT on these items before. 

I'll get some pics. tomorrow.
Heinz57 View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heinz57 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2011 at 11:25pm
Sounds like a good project Tom! Best of luck with it!
Jazz that's not a drawer its a trash compactor. And when Uncle Phil sees this it'll be a Jazz Compactor
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 9:09am
Thanks Heinz, here is a pic of the all together:
Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2011 at 7:52pm
Hi Tom, nice project.

With reference to my Monitors thread, out of curiosity, I was just wondering how you plan to "view" your sim project, when its completed?

Obviously, I assume you will be going for maximum realism!

Regards,
Herky.
You Tube at HERKY231 or David Herky

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
  Share Topic