This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Hardware
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Simulator Project VIDEO ADDED

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Simulator Project VIDEO ADDED
    Posted: 11 Nov 2012 at 10:33am
Originally posted by ppgstf ppgstf wrote:

Have been away for a while and was wondering if you'd lost interest Tom, have been enthralled by this thread and it seems to have died a death.

Hi, no don't worry, the project has not died a death, I've been pretty busy so not really had much time to do Sim stuff.  I'm pretty much happy with it at the moment, there is only one projector, but it would cost far too much to add 2 more projectors to the set up and for most of the time I use it for instrument flying as I already have my PPL so I don't think I could justify it.   

I'll upload some new pics in the next few days. 

Tom
ppgstf View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ppgstf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2012 at 4:03pm

Have been away for a while and was wondering if you'd lost interest Tom, have been enthralled by this thread and it seems to have died a death.

TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 4:57pm
Nice idea, Duncan... I think I've seen that one as well, I'm sure it happened during the wind when there was no tie downs, but it may have been another aircraft I'm thinking of.   

Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 4:29pm
Hey Tom,

Last time I was down at Dundee - at the very East end of the grass parking area behind Tayside, I was pretty sure I saw an upside-down front section of a fuselage off a C152 rotting away.

That might make an excellent shell for your pit for an upgrade? Looked like it could be cut up into sections and mounted ok?
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
kessler View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2012 at 7:07am
How does the touchscreen usb monitor interfere with the TH2GO?  I've thought of getting a small touch screen for the FMC but use a TH2go with a Radeon.

Rory
wilderbeast View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilderbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 10:45pm
Hi Tom,
Just another thought if you did decide to go for the DH2GO, you have to make sure your graphics card has Duel DVI connections, and since the problem with the usb monitor and software i no longer even use the matrox software for my TH2GO and this still works ok without any problems, i have a resolution of 3840x 1024 for the 3 screens plus i have a 10 inch screen at 1024 x768 plus my usb monitor,i fly more around the usa and carribbean islands, with scenery, rex, trackir, and all equipment running  i can still average around 30-60 FPS

Clive 
wilderbeast

my cockpit
Win 7 ultimate
M/B Asus P8p67 pro rev3.1
Int core i5-2500k cpu 3.30GHz
16G RAM
Nvidia Gtx 560Ti
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilderbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2012 at 10:05pm
Hi Tom,
I think you should be ok, i know the touch screen software interfered with TH2GO software so i took it off and just use the display link drivers, you may be ok as you dont use TH2GO, i just use The monitor for drag and drop for my GPS, and find no real loss of frames with all the equipment running on my machine. The monitor can be used vertical or horizontal so you may need the software for changing that.If you do decide to go for the monitor it would be interesting to know if it works ok with your system and the problem lies just with the TH2GO software, keep up the good work with your cockpit its looking really good so far.

Clive
wilderbeast

my cockpit
Win 7 ultimate
16G RAM
Nvidia Gtx 560Ti
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 7:53pm
Hi Clive, thanks for that, so do you think it would be ok on my system considering I run a monitor and projector out of the one graphics card? 
Thanks
Tom 
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wilderbeast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 7:33pm
Hi Tom,
I opted to get the same usb monitor, works well dont see any frame loss on my system with GPS running on that. I did have problems in the beginning but found the touch screen software affected my TH2GO software, i took that off and worked ok. you will need the display link drivers though, i also found i had no 3d settings showing in my nvidia panel but if you just switch usb monitor off settings show, i just alter settings and switch monitor on again had no problems with fsx running this.
Hope this is of some use for you. 
wilderbeast

my cockpit
Win 7 ultimate
16G RAM
Nvidia Gtx 560Ti
kessler View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 4:42pm
Looking forward to seeing your video Tom!
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 4:23pm
I know we've discussed this before, but I was thinking of getting a 7" touch screen, either to be used as a GPS or part of the instructors station.  Here is the one I was thinking of: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lilliput-UM70-Display-USB-powered-Monitor/dp/B003DPW5IY/ref=pd_cp_ce_2
Any thoughts? 

I know I would have to run my sim in windowed mode, but this isn't a problem as  already need to do this to run the PM software.  Anybody know what the performance would be like, would it slow down my pc?

Thanks
TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2012 at 2:18pm
Thanks Rory,

Unfortunately I can't paint the wall white as there is a door leading to shelfs behind the sheet so if there was no sheet I would be looking into a white door.  I was thinking of building a big screen for the front and paint that white, it's definitely an idea. 

I already back out the side windows, I just got some black card from my local craft shop and tacked it up, but I decided to take it down for the video so you can see the perspex effect on the window. 

Yes, I'm going to try taking a video of the sim with me flying this week so stay tuned!

Thanks

Tom
kessler View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kessler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 7:26pm

Your sim looks great on the inside Tom! Why havnt you painted your projector wall plain white instead of using a sheet? Also, for now, until you get 180 deg wrap around vision,dont you black out the side windows and just concentrate on your forward view? Thats what I've done, as I'll never have side views.  Are you using a video camera or your phone?  I'm in the middle of uploading my first ever (2) videos of my sim setup at the min so hope people will be able to see them!  never done it before so hit and miss.  Can't you get your mum or dad or friend to video you flying?  I borrowed a camera from work and set it up on a tripod and it filmed ok.

Rory
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2012 at 10:14am
Guess it was the best he could fabricate Slopey.

Unless he's gay. Wink
Slopey View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
AirHauler Developer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 2:23pm
What's with the pink backlighting on the MCP?? Wierd.
AirHauler Developer
For AH2 queries - PLEASE USE THE EA Forums as the first port of call.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2012 at 1:31pm
Build one of these Tom...

Smile

TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 7:59pm
Here is the video on youtube: 

Any ideas how I can improve the quality?  I set highest setting on the camera.

TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2012 at 6:47pm
Here are some more pics I took about 15 mins ago:

I took some videos as well, but the quality is awful, dithering whether to post or not.

Herky View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Herky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by TomA320 TomA320 wrote:

Any other suggestions to what I could add to make it better? 
Tom

Well, the obvious one really. You just need a Commercial Pilots Licence!Big%20smile Then the sky's the limit.oh how I laughed

For old (ish) farts like myself...I would just go for as much of the personal suspension of disbelief that you require. I have only a single sceen, ( its quite large though) I rely upon the sim itself to "capture" my concentration. Thats why its a great hobby. You can relax and put yourself in whatever aircraft and situation the sim your flying, will allow. The complex airliners with FS2Crew, AES etc. these all add that special factor.

Its also nice to know that some of the sims we fly are also "flown" by RW pilots. Therein lies the acid test (IMHO). There's a guy who's 1st officer on 737's and flies FSX with complex add ons. http://youtu.be/6NnGR-4CvEE

So I would say, just add as much as you budget and need for "switchology" dictates.

I fly the a10 and F16 with mouse clicks on the MFD/OSB's. Some would say thats naff, but I dont see the difference in "touching" them as opposed to "clicking" them. The end result will be the same. But thats just me.

Good Luck.

Cheers

You Tube at HERKY231 or David Herky

TomA320 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomA320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2012 at 12:56pm
Hi Tom.
Great job on the pit!Cool
How many projectors are you using? Just wondering how far left and right the scenery goes?
Could you ( if it doesn't already) have left and right window views projected?

Thanks! I'm just using the 1 projector at the moment as I can't seem to find a Hitachi XGA projector on ebay at a good price so rather than buy DH2G and not be able to use it, I've decided to wait and find another projector first. 

The left and right windows are blacked out at the moment but yes if I had the money I could make the scenery go all the way round. 

Any other suggestions to what I could add to make it better?

Tom
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
  Share Topic