This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Trains > JT General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New/existing User Welcome

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New/existing User Welcome
    Posted: 23 Jun 2008 at 6:54pm
Please use this thread to introduce yourself to the Rail Sim forum.  Just a simple hello is sufficient, if you wish to tell us roughly where in the world you are then maybe we can create some sort of coverage map.  See how far we can extend.

I`m Steve, a train simmer for quite some time but only recently returned due to the better software coming out.  I live on the West coast of the UK in between Manchester/Liverpool at Warrington, Cheshire.

My hopes and aspirations for the Rail Sim scene are to see a route covering the West coast from Liverpool down to Sheffield.  On to York to join up with the present Newcastle/York route.  With additional sections down to Doncaster/S****horpe/Cleethorpes as that used to be my home area some 20 years ago and I still have family there now.  Here in Warrington we have 5 railway stations and one of them is a route to London so this would also be good to see.  Ultimately I guess I`d like to run a different start/finish route anywhere in the UK each time I start, only depending on where I wish to go.  Much like some of us do in FSX.

For the buffs, here are the Warrington Stations:

Liverpool<<W<<Sankey-Warrington Central-Padgate (my local station)-Birchwood>>>E>>Manchester

Blackpool<<N<<Bank Quay (another mainline station)>>S>>London

Reider

mutley View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command
Pilot Extraordinaire!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mutley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2008 at 9:22pm
Hi Reider,
I am not  really into Rail Sim myself, that is SimUK's thing but I will sticky this post to make it more visible for replies.

Cheers
reider View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2008 at 9:28pm
Nice one Mutley, it all helps

Reider
d9 View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2008 at 10:10pm
VFR flight simming is my main computer hobby, but I've been interested in railways since I was a child - and we still had steam then.  One of my local lines is the Great Western Main Line between Paddington and Oxford - I'm only ten miles from Maidenhead and Slough.  I want to see Birmingham New Street on the map...
As I said earlier, I haven't got Rail Simulator yet, a situation I hope to remedy at the end of the month.

Rob.
reider View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 9:01am
Originally posted by d9 d9 wrote:

VFR flight simming is my main computer hobby, but I've been interested in railways since I was a child - and we still had steam then.  One of my local lines is the Great Western Main Line between Paddington and Oxford - I'm only ten miles from Maidenhead and Slough.  I want to see Birmingham New Street on the map...
As I said earlier, I haven't got Rail Simulator yet, a situation I hope to remedy at the end of the month.

Rob.

Welcome to the Rail Sim part of the forum Rob.  When you do succumb to the treasures of Rail Sim I`m sure you`ll be as surprised as I was at how far the whole thing has advanced.  We have most of the useful add ons and stuff here, with help available.

Reider-Steve
makatini View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makatini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 11:13am

Hi all,

I live in South Africa but spent 15 years in the UK (my second home!)  I have many wonderful memories of the UK train network.

I come from a "Steam Family" both my father and brother worked on SA Railways all their working life.  This led to countless opportunities to ride in the cab (experiences to treasure!).

I was the odd one in the family - choosing a career in Radio and TV which led to my current profession - a voice artist.  But I still have railways in my blood - hence  the love for train sims!   I am involved in another sim, creating the odd bit of content for it (90 items to date with almost 200,000 downloads)  Nice.  But it was time for a change and that is why I am so hooked on RS at the moment.

I sincerely hope that this sim and this forum will go from strength to strength.   I see a lot of people are "thinking of buying it" - why wait?  Jump in and get it and become part of this community - so far, I have had only pleasant experiences!  The more of us join, the better...

And once I discovered the pleasures of "Scenario Creation" (which will hopefully lead to content creation) the game opened up even more for me.  It is GREAT FUN!

It is fantastic to ride the routes I used to travel on in the UK (I even get a lump in the throat at times!).  The more UK routes that appear, the happier I will be!Big%20smile

Finally, a BIG word of thanks to Reider and SimUK who have helped me tremendously over the last few days - in fact they were instrumental in bringing the game to life for me.  So, you see, it is worth joining!

Well done, guys!

Mak

reider View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2008 at 8:05pm
Welcome to the forum Mak.  My Uncle was born in the UK and has lived in SA for Years, in Durban, Johannesburg and Cape Town.   A few more interested parties like yourself and Rob, and this part of the forum should start moving.  Pooling information is always the best way.

Hopefully a few others will see nobody bites and its easy to at least say hello.  After that its a matter of choice, but the ice has already been broken by then.  No over the top techie terms or having a go because people say the wrong thing. Thats what makes this forum all the more enjoyable to take part in.  Have fun and enjoy,

Reider

AKA Steve
ICE View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2008 at 9:56am
Hi Everyone,

Only just found this wielcome topic (It's not as if it's at the top of the page! :))

I spend a lot of time photographing Trains, Aircraft and Wildlife - mostly birds!
When i'm not doing that i'm usually simming, mostly flight (Procedure airlines Boeings in particular!) and occasionally Rail - Trainz 2006, MSTS and Rail Sim!

Although from North Linc's I live with my girlfriend in  Somerset

Regards,

Hayden
Darandio View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darandio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2009 at 2:35pm
Hello everyone, some of you may already know me, some may not. At the moment, I am working on modernising the original "Newcastle to York" route and more information  can be found from the links in my signature. I look forward to contributing where possible!

Also, it won't fit in my signature along with the blog address so here is my Youtube channel as well:-

http://www.youtube.com/user/Darandio
www.dpsimulation.org.uk
Orpheus View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orpheus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2009 at 7:37pm
Hi.  I'm new to this forum, although not new to sims or Just Trains.

For me,  the PC Train Sim is the convenient alternative to the Model Railway, something I've wanted for 50+ years, but never got around to, for various reasons.  

I've acquired Rail Simulator, MSTS, Trainz (2004, Classics & 2009), of which I've found TRS2004 to be the best.  That's because I find it the easiest for creating my own layouts, although it's not the most accurate in operation or appearance, and Auran seem to be tripping over their own feet in the rush to produce frequent new versions, all so far half-baked.  Maybe the takeover by N3VRF41L will straighten things out. 

Rail Simulator, on the other hand, looks quite good and operates well enough (and it's a lot more expensive), but I've never been able to get my brain round the World Editor.   I've tried many times, but I end up with no more than bits of track all over the show and an empty bottle of head-ache pills.  If RS had the easy-to-use style of Trainz in it's World Editor, or if Trainz had the quality of RS in it's appearance, life would be wonderful.

I abandoned MSTS quite early on, as being even more unmanageable as RS in it's layout creation option.

As far as I know, however, there aren't any other worthwhile products on the market, so I hope Trainz and RS can keep going until one of them produces the sim that is easy to build in and looks and sounds good.  I'd buy it.

gliderace View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gliderace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 1:43am
Hi, everyone,
My name is Mike and I am new to the forum but not to Rail Sim and Just Trains. I live near the US- Canadian border in a town called Fort Erie. I enjoy photography, reading, music of all kinds and of course playing trains and planes on my Sims!!! I am hoping to eventually purchase Raqilworks, but am not sure if my current video card will handle it. It works fine for Rail Sim and FSX.
Gliderace
makatini View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makatini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 9:29am
Hi Mike,

Even though I live in Africa, I have heard of Fort Erie - strange things happen there!  .

Seriously, welcome to the forum.  I also have not bought Railworks yet purely because of the recession.   Food is more important at this stage!  However, I still use Railsim and like setting up scenarios.  Busy one's!  Fortunately my PC handles it well as I upgraded everything about a year ago.  

Memory seems to be all important.  I started of using 2GB cards but increased that to 4GB Corsair memory.  There is not much the PC can't handle.  I invested in an 8800 video card (asus) and the combination of the two seems to work really well.

It's a shame that they did not release a demo - then we could all see if it will work on our PC's.

"Raqilworks"?   Never heard of that one mate!  .

Enjoy the forum...

Mak

gliderace View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gliderace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2009 at 1:29pm
Hey, Mak, thanks for the comeback! Raqilworks? It's a new product made by the application of a fat finger on the wrong part of the keyboard!
I agree a demo would be great. I am working with 1.5 gigs Kingston memory and the performance is such I dont feel the need to rush out and buy more. My card is an ATI Radseon HD2400.
Cheers mate!
Gliderace
reider View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2009 at 5:02pm
Welcome to all, have fun and enjoy.  I have my FSX and RS/RW, now Trainz2009 forum here.  all I need is another forum for my Ship Sim too, Ship Sim2008 Collectors Edition.   Wouldn`t it be nice to see them all combined at some point?   Fly somewhere, get on the train, cruise..... if you wish Smile Smile

Steve
cookie View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 11:29am
Hi everybody. This is cookie. Have been a rail simmer since the birth of msts. I have moved on to railworks now and I think it's good value for your money compared to what I paid for msts years ago. Still go back to it with all my addons. I wish railwork was as easy as msts for making up consists. I'm 71 and suffer sometimes from essential tremor in my hands but Ikeep on simming. chuff, chuff. cookie
adri952 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adri952 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2009 at 2:59am
Hi ppl  this adri952 I'm from Australia.
Like most people I'm originally from the UK and was fortunate to be one of the last passengers on the last steam train operating between Paddington and Dartmouth albeit at a very young age!!
I used to have MSTS but got fed up with that and reverted back to the various lives of FSfrom 98 to FSX it's truly amazing how far it's all come from polygons to the great graphics that are in use now.
I am using Rail Simulator but am faced with the problem of getting add ons.
any way that's enough ranting hope to hear from you all
Regards
Adrian : ) 
adrian
makatini View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makatini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2009 at 7:50am

Welcome to Cookie and Adrian!  And Cookie... - I am sooo impressed!   Never too old to have fun!  I am heading towards the big "60" next year and it is a date I have been dreading but reading your post gives me faith...  The weird thing is...I have the mind of a 25 year-old in the body of a 59 year-old.   All that experience - shame that the wimmen don't appreciate that!Evil%20Smile

adri952 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adri952 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2009 at 11:54am
Hi Again
I am a believer in a tee shirt that i saw while in Vegas this year.
Quote I am not fifty I'm eighteen but with 32 years experience !!Wink
Seeing your remark about having the mind of a 25 year old in the body of  a 59 year old I'm reminded by the master ( Spike Milligan) I have the body of  a 18 year old,  yes it's in my fridge .
Have fun wherever you are
Adrian Cool
adrian
makatini View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote makatini Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2009 at 4:06pm
Hi Adrian

Can you believe that I worked with Spike in the 70's when I was working at a recording studio!?   It was one of the best experiences I have ever had...   A Great Memory stored away in my fridge.  Forever.
Cheers mate!
gliderace View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gliderace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2009 at 6:14pm
Hello Adrian;

Welcome to the forum! You can no longer buy add ons from the official sit for Railsim, however there are a lot of third party sites where they are still sold.   Most add ons for Railworks are backward compatible. I would recomend Newcastle to York Modern which is brand new and runs on both platforms. I have not yet graduated to Railworks but am thinking about it. Have fun on the forum. I am 62 in the body of a 25 year  old!
Cheers for now,
Michael.
Gliderace
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic