This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > DC-3 Legends of Flight
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A pair of observations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimdahl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A pair of observations
    Posted: 03 Dec 2010 at 8:51pm
Hi

I have made 2 observations on this otherwise fine model.

The exterior visual models are beautiful, BUT they all (as far as I remember) have the same error at the tail. They have this square part that doesn't look at all like the much sharper edge on the real thing:

My second problem is with the speed of the landing gear animation. I have found that it extends in about 7 seconds and retracts in about 9 seconds. I think that this is a bit too fast. According to the manual found here: http://pcmuseum.tripod.com/dc3/dc3designfeature.pdf the time to retract during a normal take-off is 11½ seconds. I haven't found any documentation for the extension time, and this will propably be a bit faster as the function is being helped by gravity, but 7 seconds???

Best regards
Kim Dahl

PS: I know that I should propably post this as a support request...

BTW: wouldn't it be a good idea to have a post containing an updated bug list. This way people can see if their observations have already been reported.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2010 at 8:52am
Hi Kim,

Thanks for the observations!

So we can log your feedback, could you send this to us in a support request form too?

http://www.justflight.com/supportrequest.asp?supportProductID=255

Thanks
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Stratocruiser View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stratocruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 3:39pm
It is interesting that the DC-3 shown as British European Airways G-AGHL in the earlier posted preview shots has the correct treatment of the tail. Take a look here:
Maybe some liveries are right and some wrong?
Howard

Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 3:49pm
Hi Howard,

We have included two variants, one with a tail-cone and one without, as per the real aircraft.

Thanks
Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
Stratocruiser View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stratocruiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2010 at 5:56pm
Interesting. I never really paid that much attention to this area before, but can not remember ever seeing one without the tail cone.
Martyn View Drop Down
Just Flight Staff
Just Flight Staff
Development Manager

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Martyn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 8:59am
Hi,

There are quite a few aircraft without the larger tail-cone:

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Viarco-Colombia/Douglas-DC-3-(C-47-53-117-R4D-Skytrain-Dakota)/1230323/L/

Thanks

Martyn
Just Flight Ltd
kimdahl View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimdahl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2010 at 10:11pm
Hi guys

I would like to make it clear that I am not talking about the plane having or NOT having a large tail-cone. The area marked with a circle on my first picture is the strange square area just below the rudder surface which I believe should have a sharper edge on both types of tails. I also think that the edge of the rudder surface itself should be a lot thinner than on the present model.

Oh, and another little observation. Maybe it's just me being a bit odd, but I have read through the various aircraft.cfg's. And I find it a bit annoying that the ui_type is always spelled DC3 or C47 when it should be DC-3 or C-47.

Regards
Kim
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic