This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What to change on uninstall

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What to change on uninstall
    Posted: 01 Dec 2010 at 5:15pm
Hi all,

Another quick Q - if I uninstall Traffic X, it seems the uninstall program has been poorly put together. Not sure if it is fair to say that, however I would expect an uninstall command to uninstall the ENTIRE package and reverse any changes the original installation command made.

For example, after UN-installation, I notice Just Flight/TrafficX folder in the FSX root with plenty data still in the sub folders. Also, original AI traffic is not restored, one has to physically rename a file deep in subfolders of FSX to get that back.

So my Q then: what else must I manually delete, rename or otherwise change to restore my FSX to a proper pre-Traffic X condition? What can I delete in FSX.cfg?
I do not want remnants and orphan files, registry entries etc clogging up my PC, no matter how small or irrelevant.Wink

Thanks in advance
GregH
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2010 at 8:01pm
You can delete any "left over" Traffic X folders.  When uninstalling a program, left over folders remain usually as a result of changes you made within the program whilst it was installed and you were using it.  Those changes are generally not recorded in the program's uninstall log file which is used to remove everything, and therefore the uninstaller does not know about them. Hence, they do not get removed.  If you have already run a program's uninstaller, then it should do its job the best it can based on the information it has available to it and how it is programmed.  After that, if there are files or folders left over, it is pretty safe to simply just delete them manually yourself.

For the registry key, just do a search (Edit menu > Find) for the words "Just Flight" in the registry.  The Traffic X registry key merely contains a pointer to where the FSX folder is on your system.  I have Windows 7 ... in Windows 7, the registry key is: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Just Flight

In the FSX.cfg file, in the [Main] section, there is a path reference to the folder where the files are installed for the AI planes so the sim can go there and find/use what it needs.  Look for "SimObjectPaths.6=SimObjects\TrafficX"  (My number is SimObjectPaths.6, but your number may be SimObjectPaths.5 or SimObjectPaths.7 or whatever depending on how many other entries you have here.)

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic