This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Global Warming

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 2:43pm
Quote And what's your objective hear? you keep trawling the net for anything you can find.

For all your alleged claims that no-one is hiding anything and that MMGW is proven, it is taking a bill in the US Senate to get access to the source temperature data collected by NASA! Not very conducive to good science, is it?

Quote and considering how short term phenomenon temporarily masks long term warming this may help...

Don't you frequently quote climate scientists that say that the sun cycle has no effect upon temperature? The same scientists that rubbish cause and effect between the sun activity and global temperatures? Mann and Hansen both denounce the link between sun spot activity and global temperatures!

This is the entire problem with this argument! Your own sources contradict you!

The bottom line is NO ONE KNOWS WHAT IS GOING ON. THIS IS MY WHOLE POINT. MORE RESEARCH IS NEEDED.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 4:05pm
For all your alleged claims that no-one is hiding anything and that MMGW is proven, it is taking a bill in the US Senate to get access to the source temperature data collected by NASA! Not very conducive to good science, is it?

Thats not what I'm talking about, as you know full well!!!

I mean... whats your objective in trawling the Internet, to find any snippet, any new angle you can use to continue this debate that has already covered 5 pages???

It's pointless, because no matter what I say, not matter how much facts you are exposed to, you still dismiss it no matter what. Becuse you display ultimate bias.

The problem is your thought processes are sabotaged by your obsession with conspiracy theories.

And your capability to be objective is compromised by your obsession with conspiracy theories.

No matter how many time I tell you, you still ignore factors like "local" and "short term" and claim a chilly winter in your neighborhood is a big deal. 13 times telling you the same thing is bizare!

So why continue a debate, where you don't offer a counter argument to my replies, you just ignore them? What can you learn with that attitude... precisely nothing.

Why continue a debate when you will never agree with any point I make, no matter how plausible?

Regarding your claim above...

The only bill I'm aware of is in regard to improving NASA's data quality control.  You don't post any links, so I have nothing to contribute. Except that scientists been protective of their copyrighted data is nothing new, and understandable when denialists like you are quick to misinterpret and twist and mis quote. Excatly as you do below...

Don't you frequently quote climate scientists that say that the sun cycle has no effect upon temperature?

Nonsense, do a search. I've never said anything of the sort. The sun has nothing to do with long term, global climate change since the industrial revolution, nothing to go with MMGW. But for many years, the influence of the sun, in terms of short term, and sometimes local [northern hemisphere] temperature change has been well known.

Mann and Hansen both denounce the link between sun spot activity and global temperatures!

No they don't! Another misquote!!! They dispute that solar activity is responsible for long term, global warming since the industrial revolution. They dispute that the sun is responsible for the warming we associate with man's activity. But don't dispute the sun's capability to influence temperature.

This is the entire problem with this argument! Your own sources contradict you

No they don't, but you misquoting me, and misinterpreting simple facts is an issue.

And if that is the "entire problem" with my argument, and I've just demonstrated that the problem doesn't exist, because you are misquoting, then there is no problem with my argument. Wink

This very post, demonstares why it is such a frustrating task to debate this subject with you.

13 times telling you the same thing, without you providing a counter argument
demonstrates perfectly that a debate with you is a waste of time.

The bottom line is NO ONE KNOWS WHAT IS GOING ON. THIS IS MY WHOLE POINT. MORE RESEARCH IS NEEDED.

Rubbish! thats not your entire point. Your entire point, ever since I have been debating this subject with you, is to deny ouitright that mankind is responsibel. Yiour entire point has been to find anything you can, no matter how plausbole to deny.

You don't believe more research is needed... you believe we aren't responsible no matter what.

More reaaerch is needed, and is being underrtaken, but we have a very clear indication that the basic premise is fact.

It's the finer points, like extent and time frame that's difficult to estimate and therefore disputed.

FSaddict View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2010 at 11:45pm
TBH I don't think there is anyone on the forum that believes Vulcan, we've seen this argument many times and other ones that Vulcan has come up with.

It's getting old.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 12:34am
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12080925

Quote TBH I don't think there is anyone on the forum that believes Vulcan, we've seen this argument many times and other ones that Vulcan has come up with.

Maybe, but my point is that if CO2 is causing the warming, we would not see record lows as it couldn't occur. CO2 stops heat ESCAPING, but for record lows to occur, that heat MUST by definition be escaping.

So the conclusion is the stated mechanism behind a warming planet is wrong.

Some scientists have their heads buried so deep in flawed computer models, they forget to look out the window. It even occurred to the Met Office for regular weather reporting; they closed all the observation posts and based it at Hadley. They get the weather so wrong as a result (how often is the weather you experience different to what they predict? Here it is all the time) that they are actually going back to doing actual observations! I Google my local airport ATIS when I want a forecast - far more accurate!

In aviation, the Met Office will *NEVER* issue a TAF until the first observation of the day has been received from the airport - this is how poor the modeling is!

Best regards,
Vulcan.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 9:43am
Maybe, but my point is that if CO2 is causing the warming, we would not see record lows as it couldn't occur.

Garghhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Of course record lows can occur! Numerous other SHORT TERM phenomon impact the planets weather.

I've already explained it to you. Whats wrong with you man! Big%20smile

Of course record lows can occur. Long term warming can be temporally masked by short term phenomenon. Like solar activity, like diverted jet streams, like el nina events etc, etc.

If the your central heating was on 24/7 and the thermostat was turned up high, and your house was getting hotter and hotter. But then every now and again, I temporally blasted ultra cold air in from Siberia, you would get a temporally chilly home. But when I ceased my chilly blast through your windows, your house would continue to warm.

Short term weather variability is not switched off by global warming. The graph doesn't suddenly become flat. There are still peaks and troughs.

And the above is absolutely obvious, the simplest concept known to man.

I can't believe you said this again after everything I've bothered to type. Again, no counter argument from you, just ignore everything you are told if it doesn't fit your defective theories.

Your climate gate review conspiracy is a prime example.You claim the review was a con because you didn't like the reviewers, but you ignore the fact that there were actually, no less than FOUR separate reviews, by different individuals. And each one of those four reviews exonerated them. They even made public the data sets everyone asked for. But no, to Vulcan it's all a conspiracy.

Unbelievable, absolutely unbelievable, nothing gets through your skull and makes an impact does it? Big%20smile

5 pages and you are still posting the same nonsense.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Vulcan Vulcan wrote:

In aviation, the Met Office will *NEVER* issue a TAF until the first observation of the day has been received from the airport - this is how poor the modeling is!

how often is the weather you experience different to what they predict?

That's short term weather for the 5 billionth time!!! 

Nothing to do with long term global warming modelling. Short term weather is variable due to short term fluctuations. Precisely why we look at long term weather to determine global warming.  How many times do you need telling?

Weather is the fluctuating state of the atmosphere around us.

Climate is the average, variations and extremes of weather in a region over long periods of time.

CO2 stops heat ESCAPING,

No it doesn't! CO2 stops some of the heat escaping, and the planet reaches a state of equilibrium. If it didn't you wouldn't exist and neither would anyone on this planet. 

Without the greenhouse effect, the Earth would be about 30 °C cooler — making it uninhabitable to most forms of life.

Because they're so effective in keeping the planet warm, we know that any changes in the amount of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere will affect the Earth's temperature. This Vulcan, is indisputable scientific fact!

but for record lows to occur, that heat MUST by definition be escaping.

No, not true! The heat that would otherwise be prevented from radiating into space is recirculated.  

It's about global heat balance and heat fluxes!

The redistribution of energy across the Earth's surface is accomplished primarily through three processes: sensible heat flux, latent heat flux, and surface heat flux into oceans.

Even if it did escape into space, it would still be a short term phenomenon.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 7:40pm
Quote No, not true! The heat that would otherwise be prevented from radiating into space is recirculated.

I understand SOME of it is, yes, but the implication so far is that ALL of it is, which is wrong.

Regardless of these other effects and methods of heat transfer, there must be some other mechanism that enables COOLING to occur to enable RECORD LOW TEMPERATURES in the face of ever rising averages, no?

My whole point is that CO2 isn't the reason the average is apparently rising, and it is time people realized it!

CO2's only method of raising temperature is by preventing heat escaping, but you just told me the heat is able to escape, then you say in the same sentence that the heat is circulated! Which is it?

Quote The redistribution of energy across the Earth's surface is accomplished primarily through three processes: sensible heat flux, latent heat flux, and surface heat flux into oceans.

Even if it did escape into space, it would still be a short term phenomenon.

My focus here is entirely on the role of CO2, as we are constantly being bombarded that it is the reason for a warming world, yet there are so many other processes at work it makes absolutely no sense for CO2 to be solely responsible!!!!

You have yet to show me the role of CO2 in any of this! CO2 warms the planet, then how does it cool so rapidly? STOP TELLING ME "IT IS SHORT TERM"!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT DOES NOT ANSWER THE QUESTION AS TO HOW THE PLANET COOLS SO RAPIDLY!!!!!!!!! THE HEAT MUST GO SOMEWHERE!!!!!! The atmosphere is always trying to reach a balance of equilibrium with itself.

Temperature differential is precisely why we get winds and storms! It is one of the things that is betraying the warming argument - THERE SHOULD BE AN INCREASE IN STORMS BUT SO FAR THEY ARE REDUCING IN BOTH NUMBER AND SEVERITY WHICH IS A DIRECT CONSEQUENCE OF REDUCED TEMPERATURE DIFFERENTIAL.

Where are the research papers I requested on the thermal properties of CO2 and its absorption of IR?

If the "science is settled" as Al Gore and the IPCC said so often just a couple of years ago, this research should exist. Where is it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12081749

Snow for the first time on record in Georgia, South Carolina and Alabama! Record low temps in SOUTHERN STATES of the USA! 6 states and counting declaring a state of emergency.

No - this is just local weather, right? Nothing global going on...

So far we have record lows in:

* Northern Europe
* Russia
* UK
* Southern states of USA
* AUSTRALIA (in the SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE in the middle of SUMMER)
EDIT: * China http://english.sina.com/china/p/2010/1217/352518.html

Quote GUANGZHOU, Dec. 17 (Xinhua) -- Temperatures in Guangdong Province dropped to their lowest levels for the same period in more than 30 years early Friday morning, according to Guangdong Meteorological Center.

Temperatures in north Guangzhou dropped to minus 3 to 1 degrees Celsius Friday, and on the expressway linking Beijing to Zhuhai, temperatures dropped to minus 5.3 degrees Celsius.

I think that covers every major part of the planet.

...and I had noticed your deflection of my earlier link that showed there was more ice cover in 2000-2010 than in the 60s or 70s. How do you explain that?

Best regards,
Vulcan.

Caps are for emphasis, I'm not shouting.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 9:06pm
I posted these before, but I'm posting them again:

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/jamesdelingpole/100023598/after-climategate-pachaurigate-and-glaciergate-amazongate/

Source: WWF report into FOREST FIRES (when the IPCC said warming, they meant of a different kind ).

Source: WWF report into FOREST FIRES (when the IPCC said warming, they meant of a different kind ).

The IPCC also made huge claims that all the science, and the papers, were all peer reviewed, yet trash like this got through, and past the "thousands of scientists that review the IPCC reports".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8511670.stm

Quote V - If you have confidence in your science why didn't you come out fighting like the UK government's drugs adviser David Nutt when he was criticised?

I don't feel this question merits an answer.

At least he knows when you can't defend the indefensible.

Everyone acts like the IPCC are credible. Like the arguments here, they don't stand up to scrutiny. It all comes down to "trust the scientists" (that apparently don't exist).

Fundamental questions are not answered, yet we rely on (mis-)interpretation of data that is questionable at best to draw conclusions about future trends on.

If we could do that, there wouldn't be any need for the LHC. We'd simply look back into space and draw conclusions from that.

We have not proceeded further than "something is going on here", and we have not yet started to understand what is going on.

I go back to the Met Office and the fact they can't even issue the first TAF until they have had the first observation report from an airfield for the day, because in 6 hours their models fall apart.

We have 365 times more practice at weather reporting than climate modeling, and have been trying extremely hard since the 40s.

Even NASA can't predict weather at the Cape more than 10 minutes ahead, and even then they are working to the second on reports.

Damn amazing that after (mis-)interpreting less than accurate temperature data they think they can accurately predict the future weather, I mean, climate.

Just 10 years ago they said snow would be a thing of the past. Plenty of places today (literally) have snow that have no previous historical record* of having snow. I think they stuffed up their predictions already, and are now back-tracking with "that is local, short-term weather".

*Records only exist for 150 years - nothing in the history of the planet.

150 years is 0.000003333333% of the total life of the planet.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 9:22pm
I'm going to leave this thread with a quote from Mr. Nikola Tesla:

Quote "Todays scientists have substituted mathematics for experiments and they wander off through equation after equation and eventually build a structure which has no relation to reality."
- Nikola Tesla, Modern Mechanics and Inventions, July 1934.

Don't forget that this guy did more work on electricity and magnetism than anyone before or since. We owe it to him for AC electric. We are still no wiser than when he wrote his books on it.

Vulcan.
VulcanB2 View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VulcanB2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2010 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by FSaddict FSaddict wrote:

TBH I don't think there is anyone on the forum that believes Vulcan

I was meaning to respond to this comment.

It has nothing to do with belief.

IF, *IF*, the science really existed, they would NOT have to keep running around the world, using the likes of Al Gore to try and convince us with his BS, the scientists would not have to hide data (ref. CRU and their destruction of source data and refusal to respond to FOIA requests), the US Senate would not have to create legislation to force NASA to release their data, and we would not have to keep arguing what should be unquestionable fact (*IF* we have the real answers and research to back it up with).

What we are currently witnessing with climate science is a total breakdown of scientific due process to find the truth. It has been hijacked by environmentalist and governments of the world in order to make money.

Are you seriously going to tell me that Cap and Trade, just passed in Chicago, will do one thing to cool the planet? Are you really so nieve to think that by paying Mega Corp 10x for oil that it makes it friendlier to the planet? Are you saying that by paying more in taxes to the Government that we keep doom at bay?

The scientists have created themselves the biggest headache in history. They have got it wrong, and can't back-track.

Before you argue me on that final point, remember the words of the then head of CRU whom in 2000 said snow will be a thing of the past.

Don't make predictions you can't prove.

Don't claim science has answers it doesn't have.

I liken the current MMGW argument to the time of Galileo. He was locked up by the church (of climate change) for his research that stated the earth was not the center of the universe (heresay against the religion of CO2).

Research without proof is merely a theory.

Best regards,
Vulcan.
allardjd View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allardjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 4:19am

Quote TBH I don't think there is anyone on the forum that believes Vulcan

Wrong, sir.  Though I often disagree vehemently with Vulcan on other matters, on this one I am and have been with him. I find the arguements against him unconvincing and his last post wraps things up nicely.

I think Vulcan is pretty close to being etirely right on this topic.  The alliance of self-delusional and sometimes unethical scientists, self-serving green movement activists and alternate energy merchants, greedy and power-hungry governments and populist public apoligists who are always ready to utter a unilateral, contrite "mea maxima culpa" on behalf of the entire human race are peddling hokum and pseudo-science for their own purposes.  They would have us believe that we're causing it by pursuing growth and improving the human condition.

They would further have us believe that if only we lower our standard of living and tax the practical and efficient sources of energy to the point that the impractical and inefficient begin to look artificially competitive and if we permit the third world to continue committing the same energy "sins' they wish us to cease committing and if we re-distrubute the world's wealth to the third world's advantage, then global climate trends can be affected or even reversed. If they believe it, they're fools; if they don't they're charlatans. 

I'm bored to tears with this thread and won't be participating further, but felt the obligation to make the point that Vulcan does not stand alone on this issue.
John Allard
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 9:34am

I understand SOME of it is, yes, but the implication so far is that ALL of it is, which is wrong.

It is all of it, but even if it wasn’t, it’s still a SHORT TERM phenomenon, nothing to do with LONG TERM global warming.

By the way, that's about 15 times I've told you now.

CO2's only method of raising temperature is by preventing heat escaping, but you just told me the heat is able to escape, then you say in the same sentence that the heat is circulated! Which is it?

Vulcan, this is basic science we learnt at school. Or at least I did. Green house gas prevents a percentage of heat from being re-radiated into space. Some is therefore retained by the atmosphere and some is re-radiated, thus equilibrium is maintained. We remain at a temperature suitable for life. In addition... on this planet, we have something called “weather” and phenomenon like air currents, the jet stream, and ocean currents, and mechanisms like sensible heat flux, latent heat flux, and surface heat flux into oceans. These factors redistribute energy [heat] around the planet.

Which is precisely why it's cold in the UK presently... because the jet stream has looped itself northward. Thus cold air from the arctic is being drawn toward the UK.

I did explain this previously if you go back and read my post again.

Quote File:Greenhouse%20Effect.svg

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 10:17am

My focus here is entirely on the role of CO2, as we are constantly being bombarded that it is the reason for a warming world, yet there are so many other processes at work it makes absolutely no sense for CO2 to be solely responsible!!!!

It’s not solely responsible. Many factors affect the Earth’s temperatures, again… precisely why we look at LONG TERM, GLOBAL AVERAGES. Otherwise the short term influences, WEATHER, the peaks and troughs would prevent us from determining the long term trend.  

You have yet to show me the role of CO2 in any of this! CO2 warms the planet, then how does it cool so rapidly? STOP TELLING ME "IT IS SHORT TERM"!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT DOES NOT ANSWER THE QUESTION AS TO HOW THE PLANET COOLS SO RAPIDLY!!!!!!!!! THE HEAT MUST GO SOMEWHERE!!!!!! The atmosphere is always trying to reach a balance of equilibrium with itself.

You need to start READING MY POSTS! The Planet can cool rapidly due to WEATHER. For example, our current cold snap is due to the diverted jet stream. As for where the heat goes, as I have already told you… we have something on this plant called WEATHER. It’s called the global heat balance. It’s the mechanism by which heat [energy] is circulated around the globe.

A cold blast in the UK from Siberia, doesn't make the heat suddenly leap into space and travel to mars. Wink The energy circulates around the globe via the "global heat balance" mechanism.

And by the way, when we had record high temperatures recorded last summer, [short term] I don't remember you claiming it was proof of global warming!

Likewise you can't cliam low temprtures now, [short term] are evidence of zero global warming. Wink

You don't accept that record high temperatures are proof of warming, but you try and claim that record lows are proof of zero warming. Big%20smileWink

So far we have record lows in:

* Northern Europe
* Russia
* UK
* Southern states of USA
* AUSTRALIA (in the SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE in the middle of SUMMER)

Again… that’s short term, irrelevant in terms of long term global warming. The entire Earth could be freezing cold for a considerable period, due to ocean currents, solar activity, kinked jet streams, alien intervention, etc, etc.  But that means nothing in terms of CLIMATE change. The effects you mention are WEATHER, not CLIMATE.

And what was the average GLOBAL temprture for this year? The  highest on record. Wink
despite your cold spells above. Thumbs%20Up

Worldwide, 2010 is on track to become the warmest year on record.

Scientists at the NASA Goddard Institute for Space Studies reported recently that the average global temperature was higher over the past 12 months than during any other 12-month period in history. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration has released corroborating data, adding that the past four months, including June, have each individually been the hottest on record as well.

Why do I have to keep repeating myself over and over again, stating known facts?

I think that covers every major part of the planet.

But the mistake you make is in terms of time periods and seasons. The China link for example, was a record low for one day. If that’s not short term, what is? When we look at monthly temperatures it’s a different picture, when we look again at yearly temperatures we see a different trend again, and when we look over decades, thus eliminating short term weather events, we see an increase in global temperatures. While we were experiencing record low temperatures last winter, the southern hemisphere was experiencing record high temperatures.

Your record low temperatures are short term, and not occurring simultaneously across the planet. They primarily occur in that nation’s winter, when other regions are experiencing summer, and record highs.

...and I had noticed your deflection of my earlier link that showed there was more ice cover in 2000-2010 than in the 60s or 70s. How do you explain that?

I missed your link. Post it again.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 10:40am

The IPCC also made huge claims that all the science, and the papers, were all peer reviewed, yet trash like this got through, and past the "thousands of scientists that review the IPCC reports".

To expect perfection, from such a large organisation is totally unreasonable. The IPCC is not perfect, what organisation is, they will make mistakes. There is room for improvement, but the basic message is factual, the Earth is warming, due to our activates. Only a minuscule number of scientists would disagree, the only debate is regarding time frames and the effects we can expect, the degree to which our environment will be compromised.

Fundamental questions are not answered, yet we rely on (mis-)interpretation of data that is questionable at best to draw conclusions about future trends on.

How ironic, a denialist and conspiracy theory fan complaining about misinterpretation. How would you know anyway, within this very thread you have displayed a complete lack of knowledge of even the basics.

We have not proceeded further than "something is going on here", and we have not yet started to understand what is going on.

Utter nonsense! Joseph Fourier understood the green house effect in 1874.

And…

S. Arrhenius was the first person to predict that CO2 released during the burning of fossil fuels would cause global warming. He published his paper in 1896. He was right!!!!

In 1938, G.S. Callendar  discovered that the level of carbon dioxide was climbing and raising global temperature.

In the early 1960s, C.D. Keeling measured the level of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere: it was rising fast.

Since Arrhenius, we have amassed more than enough data to conclude that we are responsible.

This is not a new idea invented by modern day science.

I go back to the Met Office and the fact they can't even issue the first TAF until they have had the first observation report from an airfield for the day, because in 6 hours their models fall apart.

Vulcan, this is getting ridiculous! I have already responded to that, and once again you ignore my response, and make the same claim in the following post. Unbelievable!

That’s WEATHER, not CLIMATE! Weather is unpredictable. Long term climate trend over 30+years is clear to see.

FSaddict View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FSaddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 11:00am
Originally posted by allardjd allardjd wrote:

Wrong, sir.  Though I often disagree vehemently with Vulcan on other matters, on this one I am and have been with him. I find the arguements against him unconvincing and his last post wraps things up nicely.

I think Vulcan is pretty close to being etirely right on this topic.  The alliance of self-delusional and sometimes unethical scientists, self-serving green movement activists and alternate energy merchants, greedy and power-hungry governments and populist public apoligists who are always ready to utter a unilateral, contrite "mea maxima culpa" on behalf of the entire human race are peddling hokum and pseudo-science for their own purposes.  They would have us believe that we're causing it by pursuing growth and improving the human condition.

They would further have us believe that if only we lower our standard of living and tax the practical and efficient sources of energy to the point that the impractical and inefficient begin to look artificially competitive and if we permit the third world to continue committing the same energy "sins' they wish us to cease committing and if we re-distrubute the world's wealth to the third world's advantage, then global climate trends can be affected or even reversed. If they believe it, they're fools; if they don't they're charlatans. 

I'm bored to tears with this thread and won't be participating further, but felt the obligation to make the point that Vulcan does not stand alone on this issue.

Fair enough sir you have proved me incorrect. in which case i will revise my statement.

It is of my belief that there is a certain majority of forum members who disagree with the majority of Vulcan's conspiracy theory posts. However there is a certain minority that do partially or completely believe his posts.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 11:13am

IF, *IF*, the science really existed, they would NOT have to keep running around the world, using the likes of Al Gore to try and convince us with his BS,

Actually, they probably would, when there are individuals like you, who can’t even grasp the basic science behind the green house effect. Stuff you should have learnt at school.

Actually they probably would, when there are individuals like you, who can’t tell the difference between short term weather events and long term climate trends.

Actually they probably would, when there are individuals like you, that can’t grasp that a cold wind from Siberia can chill your nation despite underlying long term trends.

Actually they probably would, when there are individuals like you that ignore phenomena like “global heat balance”.

the scientists would not have to hide data

They released data sets that were previously under lock and key, just as they were asked to. And FOUR separate reviews exonerated them.

US Senate would not have to create legislation to force NASA to release their data,

Post links, so I can respond. The only legislation I know about is in regard to quality control of data.

What we are currently witnessing with climate science is a total breakdown of scientific due process to find the truth. It has been hijacked by environmentalist and governments of the world in order to make money.

No, we are seeing a vast number of talented scientists attempting to do their jobs. Despite denialists, the ignorant on forums, and those connected to right wing organisations, and oil companies, attempting to hack into email accounts to sabotage world climate talks. We are seeing scientists abused, accused of being criminals, accused of being involved in utterly ridiculous conspiracies, and cheating their science to make money.

We are seeing the “total breakdown” of common sense, and a clear demonstration that much of the general population are of limited intellectual capacity.

Is it any wonder that scientist have become defencive?

Don't claim science has answers it doesn't have.

They don’t, unless you have been living on another planet. Despite the enormous amount of evidence collected, they still say 90% probability, and they still tell you they can’t be certain in regard to time frames and extent.

I liken the current MMGW argument to the time of Galileo. He was locked up by the church (of climate change) for his research that stated the earth was not the center of the universe (heresay against the religion of CO2).

A ridiculous analogy! Galileo was up against “religion”. He was fighting a society that had abandoned logic in favour of religious dogma. Science prevailed. Today we have a huge consensus of opinion among scientist that we are responsible for current warming since the industrial revolution.

And only an idiot would claim that the vast majority of those scientists were involved in a criminal conspiracy of unprecedented scale.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 11:29am
Originally posted by allardjd allardjd wrote:

Then I am very dismayed John, and knowing you are a reasonbly inteligent, educated man, can only assume you haven't bothered to read my posts fully. Or suffer bias as a result of other factors. 

Quote I think Vulcan is pretty close to being etirely right on this topic. 

I am shocked! I would say you need to read the entire topic with care, and think a little harder about Vulcan's cliams, and consder my responses properly. 

Quote The alliance of self-delusional and sometimes unethical scientists, self-serving green movement activists and alternate energy merchants, greedy and power-hungry governments and populist public apoligists who are always ready to utter a unilateral, contrite "mea maxima culpa" on behalf of the entire human race are peddling hokum and pseudo-science for their own purposes.

A fascinating mantra. But words only. Devoid of anything factual that would dispute that man is responsible for recent warming.

And quite how you could assign the term "pseudo science" to the work of climatologists, those qualified in the field, when you have zero knowledge of the field, and at the same time ignore the true pseudo science of the climate change denialist idiots utterly baffles me.

And lets not forget that scientists are more likely to believe something if they can confirm it with entirely independent lines of evidence. Which of course they have, thanks to the research of paleontologists and plant physiologist's, geochemist's etc, etc.  

So I suppose thousands of paleontologist's and plant physiologist's, and geochemist's are all involved in this huge conspiracy too are they? Big%20smile

"Self-delusional and sometimes unethical scientists" you say. Do you realise how ridiculous that is? As if a huge number of climate scientists, and scientists in connected fields, would all simultaneously decide to  delude themselves. Confused 

And yes, of course a small minority of scientists could be unethical, that applies to any field. But certainly doesn't apply to such a large number scientists, the majority of which are honourable men and women. To suggest anything else is an insult. 

Quote They would further have us believe that if only we lower our standard of living and tax the practical and efficient sources of energy to the point that the impractical and inefficient begin to look artificially competitive and if we permit the third world to continue committing the same energy "sins' they wish us to cease committing and if we re-distrubute the world's wealth to the third world's advantage, then global climate trends can be affected or even reversed. If they believe it, they're fools; if they don't they're charlatans. 

That says it all really. You are biased against climate science, because you fear your standard of living will be affected.  Smile You are also a republican of course, so grasp on to Republican anti climate change ideals.

Tell you what John, Rather than being like Vulcan, why don't you counter my arguments. If I say short term, or regional, or that the small quantity of CO2 in the atmosphere has a profound affect, why don't you offer a counter argument.

Quote I'm bored to tears with this thread and won't be participating further, but felt the obligation to make the point that Vulcan does not stand alone on this issue.

I'm surprised you read any of it if it bored you that much.  However, something tells me that you certainly didn't read it all, to have the opinion of Vulcan's claims that you do. I don't believe an educated man like yourself, would accept the obvious nonsense, scientifically invalid claims that Vulcan has made above.

P.S. Didn't you say, after our last debate on this, that you believed that mankind was probably responsible for some warming, but that you regrded it as a "fart in a huricane" compared to natural processes?

Well, I have posted this many times, but here it is again. And don't forget, CO2 is an important gas due to it's "forcing effect".

Forget man made global warming for a second.

Consider the amount of CO2 that's naturally in the atmosphere. That small quantity of CO2 that's naturally in our atmosphere keeps us alive, it keeps this planet 30 degrees warmer than it otherwise would be. This is scientific fact. So we know that CO2 is a potent green house gas, you'd be dead if it wasn't.

We have increased that quantity by 30%, is it any wonder the Earth is warming?

Of course it's not. Wink

Hopefully now you have seen how your "fart in a hurricane" analogy is fundamentally flawed, and you consider scientific fact, you will reassess your views.

Quote The scientific consensus states that it is very likely that most of the warming over the last 50 years is a result of greenhouse gas emissions caused by human activity.

The exchange of 'man-made' carbon dioxide between man-made emissions, atmosphere, ocean and land, is about 7 GtC/year (billion tons of carbon, in the form of carbon dioxide, per year), which also shows much larger natural exchanges between atmosphere and ocean (about 90 GtC/yr) and atmosphere and land (about 60 GtC/yr). However, these natural exchanges have been in balance for many thousands of years, leading to the pre-industrial concentration of CO2 remaining steady at about 280 ppm.

CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere are rising. They have increased by about 38% since industrialisation began, from 280 ppm (parts per million) to 387 ppm. Two-thirds of that increase has occurred in the last 50 years. CO2 levels are now 30% higher than at any time over at least the last 800,000 years.

MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 12:34pm

Why is our climate changing?

There are only a few plausible things that could cause this sudden warming of our climate — more energy from the sun, big natural variations in our climate, or an increased greenhouse effect.

Scientists have done lots of research on the energy we get from the Sun and have been able to rule that out as the main cause. Lots of natural cycles have been identified in the climate, such as El Niño, but none of the one's we know about could cause the relatively big, long-term changes we've seen.

Therefore, there's overwhelming and growing evidence that the warming we've seen is due to increasing amounts of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. It's very likely this warming has been caused by human activity, such as burning fossil fuels (like petrol and coal) and changing land use (such as chopping down forests for cattle grazing).

Increasing the greenhouse effect

There are several different greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. There are also two distinct types recognised by scientists:

'Forcing gases' are those that are in the atmosphere on a long-term basis and don't react to changes in temperature.

'Feedback gases' are those which do respond to changes in temperature, and the amount of them in the atmosphere is dependent on other factors.

The most important greenhouse gas is water vapour, but this is a feedback — it increases in concentration as the atmosphere warms. The amount of water vapour in the atmosphere has increased, but there's no reason for this scale of change other than the increase in temperature.

CO2 and methane are both important greenhouse gases which have a forcing effect. Methane has the strongest greenhouse effect, but it doesn't stay in the atmosphere for as long — lasting only about a decade. CO2 on the other hand lasts for about 100 years or more, meaning it has a very long time to build up in the atmosphere and affect our climate.

The amount of CO2 in the atmosphere has dramatically increased since the industrial revolution, going up by about 38%. Because of its long lifespan, as we emit more CO2 from burning fossil fuels and other activities, the amount of CO2 will continue to rise. This means the extra CO2 will trap more and more of the sun's heat, and this will warm our climate. As the atmosphere warms, the amount of water vapour it holds increases — which further adds to the warming effect. This is how human activity has had an impact on our climate.

http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate-change/guide/what-is-it/why
767nutter View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 767nutter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 12:45pm
Bit behind on this topic but what i was told is that global warming isn't all about the earth just getting warmer, the affects of it causes extreme weather changes, ie this freeze we've been having.

To be honest i am a bit like Vulcan on this subject, that if global warming is happening why we get cold snaps. 

Jeez just realised i really need to more reading on this subject
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2010 at 12:54pm
Easily explained above. Smile Cold snaps are short term weather, not long term climate change. Short term weather is affected by short term events like La Nina, solar activity, etc, etc.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic