This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Flight Products > Traffic X / Traffic / Traffic 2005
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Traffic X causing a crash on exit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Traffic X causing a crash on exit
    Posted: 20 Nov 2010 at 10:35pm
With a brand new formatted hard disk, fresh install of Windows 7-64 and FSX, all was 100% perfect until I installed Traffic X. What happens is that on closing the sim by selecting End Flight and then Exit (in no particular hurry), the sim closes in what appears a normal way. However on checking the Reliability History in Windows, it shows that FSX actually crashes at the moment the sim was closed. There is no error message that appears.

Now this may be a minor issue but is is rather annoying nevertheless. My guess is that Traffic X is not letting go quickly enough of FSX files, causing FSX to crash on exit.

These crashes were part of my motivation to reformat/re-install in the first place.Angry Uninstalling Traffic X and the problem goes away again. Faulting module is reported as aiplayer.dll (an FSX file) but all fingers are pointing to Traffic X!

Anyone else encountered this, or has a possible solution?

Cheers!
GregH
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 5:55am
Like you, I too am running FSX on Windows 7 64-bit with Traffic X.  I rarely visit the Reliability History in Windows or any of the other, similar Event Viewer tools.  I find they are similar to the FSX Frame Rate counter ... if you look at them too much, you tend to find yourself spending too much time trying to tweak, optimise and fix things rather than just enjoying the experience.

If FSX is updating your Logfile after your flights and it "appears" to be exiting correctly and normally (ie, you don't know that it is actually crashing unless you make the effort to go and look in the Reliability Window), then I don't see a problem.

However, that said, I can certainly understand it would be annoying.  You're "knowing" that this is happening would be like something gnawing away at you.  Frustrating.

Do a Google search with just "aiplayer.dll" as your search and you will get quite a few hits from other Flight Sim users about that file.  So it sounds like that file is a native FSX file, rather than a Traffic X specific file.  You might find some hints from the various hits and forum discussions found by that search.

Other than that, I can't offer anything helpful.  I would go and look in my own Reliability History for you, but I am scared that if I do that, I might find errors there that I don't want to find ... and, as I said above, I'll end up on a "tweaking and fixing journey" that I just don't want to end up on.  Hehe, if I don't know about it, then I don't have to worry about it.  Smile
GregH View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 7:24am
Hi Freddy,

Yes, you are right in a way, but it does "gnaw away" as you say. aiplayer is I believe, the artificial intellegence dll of FSX. It is not a Traffic X file but it seems to be accessed  by Traffic X to handle the AI aircraft. I may have found a workaround - I have run and closed the sim twice now without generating the crash report in the Reliability Monitor. What I did was after a flight, to select a mission from the missions menu, enter the mission so that I am sitting in the aircraft, and then closing the sim. By doing this there are no ai aircraft being loaded by Traffic X because they do not exist in missions. Rather a longwinded way to close the sim though... 

This again points directly to Traffic X being the culprit.
GregH
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 8:48pm
That's an interesting and clever workaround you've found.  But, yes, longwinded as you say.

Considering you are running on Windows 7, have you tried running the Sim "as an Administrator" by right-clicking on the Flight Sim exe or shortcut and then selecting that option from the sub menu?  I wonder if that might help here?

The Google hits from searching for "aiplayer.dll" where some users were experiencing issues with that file seemed to indicate that perhaps their levels of traffic were set a bit too high for the sim to handle.  Maybe, as a test, try setting the sim's AI traffic sliders for airliners and GA down a little to give the sim some "breathing space" to see if that prevents the issue.

Finally, I wonder if Just Flight Support might be able to suggest something here?  Perhaps you might like to send them a quick message about it and ask.  Link: Obtaining Technical Support
Chuck Morse View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Morse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2010 at 10:45pm
I think Freddy's suggestion of playing with the sliders is a good one, but I would take it one step further and drop one of the sliders to zero and see what happens.  Then do the same with the other one.  That should tell you if it is related to airliner traffic or GA. 

To the best of my knowledge, TrafficX does not install any executable code into FSX, just files that are read and acted upon by the AI engine (and other things in FSX).  So you might try disabling pieces of TrafficX, one at a time, to see if you can identify what part of TrafficX is causing the problem.  It is easy enough to disable the folder that contains the TrafficX airport definition files to see if they are the problem.  You could also remove (by changing the extension) the traffic file.  You won't get any AI traffic if you do, but you can see if that makes the problem go away.  You could also remove the AI aircraft from FSX one at a time to see if one of them is the problem.  That is harder to do, since it would be best to physically move each aircraft folder out of it's current folder in order to disable it.
Chuck Morse
GregH View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 3:48pm
I'll try some of these ideas - thanks Chuck.  By changing the extention of the traffic file, I assume you are referring to the file that one creates/updates when rebuilding the AI after doing changes in the Traffic Control Center - TrafficX.bgl in World/Scenery folder?

Also, to answer Freddie's Q - Yes - I  only ever run the sim "Run as Admin". I also always run .exe files such as the Traffic X installer and serive pack patch as "Run as Admin"

I also installed everything before installing antivirus, so that was not the culprit either.
GregH
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Morse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 10:36pm
Yes, that is the file.  I was in a bit of a hurry when I made that last post and could have been a little more specific.  And, to disable the airports that trafficX provides you go into the scenery library facility and uncheck "enable" on the entry labeled "TrafficX Airport Facilities".
Chuck Morse
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2010 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by GregH GregH wrote:

Also, to answer Freddie's Q - Yes - I  only ever run the sim "Run as Admin". I also always run .exe files such as the Traffic X installer and serive pack patch as "Run as Admin"

I also installed everything before installing antivirus, so that was not the culprit either.

Cool.  Roger that.
GregH View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GregH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 6:53pm
Just another though that comes to mind, although I am pretty sure this crashing occured before I took this action:

I have add on scenery for FAJS and other SA Airports installed. After installing Traffic X, although the add-on airport FAJS showed up, the aprons had started sprouting grass between the terminal and the parking bays. I contacted the scenery design company and their advice was that this was a known issue with their scenery and Traffic X and I should back up and delete the FAJS.bgl and AFX_FAJS.bgl file residing in the FSX/JustFlight/TrafficX/Airport Facilities/Scenery folder. Now this is probably frowned upon by the Traffic X developers but it did work. It does not appear to affect AI aircraft at the airport in any way. Would this action cause any potential problems? Would leaving those files in place and rather moving Traffic X down the priority list in the Scenery DataBase make a difference?
GregH
freddy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote freddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2010 at 9:30pm
Those files are airport AFCAD files.  AFCAD files contain all the details for the airport which the simulator uses to draw the airport.  They contain all the details about buildings, aprons, ramps, runways, parking spaces, etc.  If you have both the Traffic X AFCAD files AND the add-on scenery's AFCAD files in that folder then it may mean you have DUPLICATED details for that airport which can confuse the simulator.  The results of this confusion could be things like grass sprouting between the terminal and parking bays.

Deleting the Traffic X AFCAD files will leave just the add-on scenery's files in place.  That would correct the issue with the grass or any other anomaly which may be occurring.

The AI will just use the airport and runways and parking spaces according to the details in whichever AFCAD files are being used.  Depending on the details contained within the AFCAD files, yes, you may see some differences with the AI for things like runway use or parking spot choices, etc.  I am not sure different modified AFCAD files (or even duplicated AFCAD files) would be the cause your crash issue, but you never know.  The only real way to tell would be to experiment.  Swap the AFCAD files over and see what happens.  Change the order of things in the Scenery Database to see what happens.  And so on and so forth.
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chuck Morse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2010 at 12:20am
I agree with Freddy, I would doubt that this is causing your problem, but the only way to tell for sure is to go back to using the AFCAD files provided by TrafficX and see if you still have the problem.  I can tell you that the very first thing I do when I install a 3rd party airport, or enhance one myself with AFX and Instant Scenery is to remove the TrafficX provided AFCAD file for that airport.  However, like Freddy, I have not looked at whether or not my FSX system is silently crashing on exit.  
Chuck Morse
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic