This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Just Chat > Just Chat - General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Students face fees of up to £9,000

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zenith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 2:42am
American students have it much worse, I personally know one, and his fees are far, far more than 9k a year! We've had it easy for the past few years (with the tax payer footing some of the costs), but everyone knew this was going to change, so I have no idea why people are so surprised. The cost of living has sky-rocketed, so why wouldn't education? Contrary to popular opinion, Uni is not an entitlement, and should not be treated as such.

It also depends greatly on what you are studying, as some courses are more expensive than others, plus the length of said course. At the end of the day, people are going to have to be more careful with what they choose, and make damned sure they get a job at the end of it! Then again, they should have been doing that to begin with, or there really is no point in being there in the first place.

Also, I find it pretty strange that many students complain about the costs, but will quite happily spend £100 or more on a night out getting boozed up. Surely if you can barely afford the fees, you shouldn't be throwing money around like this?
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 2:48am
Just realised that the amount I have to pay for a single year at University is greater than the amount my friend paid to complete his entire 5-year medical course a few years ago...
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
Zenith View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zenith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 2:54am
What are you studying?
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 4:20am

Physics, but am taking a break at the moment for health. Smile

roachy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by Zenith Zenith wrote:

Also, I find it pretty strange that many students complain about the costs, but will quite happily spend £100 or more on a night out getting boozed up. Surely if you can barely afford the fees, you shouldn't be throwing money around like this?
I can guarantee that over 90% or more of people in my halls here in London wouldn't even dream of spending anywhere near that much on a night out.

Also, a big concern for a lot of students isn't the initial cost, but the fact that they'll now be around £40,000 in debt for a 3-year course but it'll could take them decades to earn that much extra money back from work, depending on what they chose to study. This is especially true for those that study to go into teaching as a career.
Luke Roach
Hot_Charlie View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot_Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2010 at 7:50pm
Originally posted by Zenith Zenith wrote:

Contrary to popular opinion, Uni is not an entitlement, and should not be treated as such.

Yep. IMO the problem has stemmed from this push over a decade or so to get more and more into higher education. Good god, if I'd tried to go to uni ten years earlier I'd have been laughed at and told to go and get a job with my (low average) A-levels; nowadays you can get in with an E and 2 failures, or even less...

University should be for the intellectually gifted; sadly it's become the norm, and anyone not going is potentially putting themselves at a disadvantage in later careers.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 9:42am

Contrary to popular opinion, Uni is not an entitlement, and should not be treated as such.

And in my view, that statement, despite the fact Hotty agreed with it, is negated by Hotty's response.

The very fact, that most employers now demand a degree [for decent jobs] means that a university education is now essential for most careers. So yes, probably not an entitlement, but damn well essential if you hope to get a decent job.

So maybe, the chance to study, the opportunity to better ones self educationally should be an entitlement...

And with the current proposals, the ridiculous fees that will be charged, that opportunity to better ones self will be taken away for many.

It will also adversely effect many universities. My son's university built two brand new buildings, to cope with the students they expected. Now, thanks to the Conservative proposals, they have been forced to sell off one of the buildings. My son't university are incensed with the Conservatives proposals.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 9:45am
nowadays you can get in with an E and 2 failures, or even less...

Sorry Hotty, but my daughter has just signed up with UCAS, and I'd say that's nonsense.
Boeing744 View Drop Down
Ground Crew
Ground Crew

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boeing744 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 1:21pm

I hate it when people say this about students because this is all the media ever portray so that's the impression that people get.

I have 21 hours of lectures a week for my degree plus my dissertation work outside of teaching time, along with application for jobs and interviews. I certainly DO NOT spend £100 on a night out. If I can spare the time, I'll go out on a Friday and socailise with my friends, but don't get "boozed up" because it effectively writes off the following day.

Annually I pay £3200 for fees, £3500 for Accomodation plus everything I spend on things like food, travel and course material. This has been the same for 4 years. I'll leave university with a debt of about £30,000.

All the jobs that I am applying for require a degree but have a starting salary of between £20-26,000 pa. It'll take me years of my working live to pay that money back.

Imagine if I had £9000pa fees plus the cost of accommodation which rises annually with inflation, and still at the end of it have a starting salary of £20000.

University should be for the intellectually gifted

Harsh. I am not particuarly intellectually gifted, I passed my A-Levels (not with flying colours) but above average, but I go to university because I love the subject I'm taught and I want to persue it as a career, and I have developed ten fold in education terms since coming to university. Its given me a boost in my ability so you can't say you have to be intellectually gifted to go to university. With the right teaching and the right motivation and attitude anyone can do anything.

The very fact, that most employers now demand a degree [for decent jobs] means that a university education is now essential for most careers. So yes, probably not an entitlement, but damn well essential if you hope to get a decent job.

Completely agree with you Martin

Let me assure you, you can't...

roachy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by Hot_Charlie Hot_Charlie wrote:

you can get in with an E and 2 failures, or even less...

I know several people that got into university with these grades, but let me assure you that they had skills, awards and qualifications in other things that they'd worked very hard for, and taken very seriously.
They work very hard now, and certainly aren't dossing about all the time.

A-levels aren't a good measure of academic or artistic ability whatsoever - a lot of universities already see this.
Luke Roach
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 1:53pm
University should be for the intellectually gifted

No it shouldn't. Thats elitism.

University should be for anyone who wants to further their education. Me, you, and my pet Scratchy.

By the way, Scratchy has 360 degrees, he forms a complete circle and is therefore at one with the universe. Wink
737Chris View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 737Chris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by MartinW MartinW wrote:

University should be for the intellectually giftedNo it shouldn't. Thats elitism.

University should be for anyone who wants to further their education. Me, you, and my pet Scratchy.

By the way, Scratchy has 360 degrees, he forms a complete circle and is therefore at one with the universe. Wink

I think what he was trying to say, or at least a better way of putting would be, anybody should be allowed to go, but it shouldn't be so easy to get in. Although I don't know anybody who got in with an E and 2 failures, I do know people who have got in with below average (sometimes very below average. . ) A-Levels.

There is no emphasis on vocational work anymore, like plumbing etc. People are pretty much expected to go, and Martin had an excellent point, whether it right or wrong that anybody can get in or not, due to this fact it would be silly to go through life without going to university because it will pretty much cancel you out from most jobs.

And one more thing, although it is a daunting prospect being 30K in debt. . . .count your blessing you don't live in America
Generic forum signature
Odai View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 3:03pm

Regarding people getting in with very low grades - there is a college at Cambridge (forget which) that will do matriculation offers of EE.

That being said, the candidate would obviously have to prove themselves in their application and interview.

As Roachy said, A-levels are a terrible measure of intellectual ability - especially for the most intellectually challenging courses.
roachy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by Odai Odai wrote:

Regarding people getting in with very low grades - there is a college at Cambridge (forget which) that will do matriculation offers of EE 

Quite a few of them do actually. King's apparently does it an awful lot across subjects.

Trinity does it all the time for any members of the royal family who want to go there (because, you know, they're so clever they don't need to do a-levels properly). Trinity also does it for quite a few maths students there, although they only ever get the best of the best of the world for maths so I'm guessing they'd prefer to give out offers of EE knowing exactly who they want in. Ineed for maths though, despite the EE offer they still ask for high STEP grades, often as high as SS.
Luke Roach
roachy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 3:34pm

No it shouldn't. Thats elitism.

I completely agree with you there. University isn't there to teach intelligent people intelligent stuff, its to develop the skills of the student in a way which will further them in some way, be it career-wise or academically.

A lot of universities called "wishy-washy" are those that are now educating the country's primary-school teachers, health-inspectors and engineers. Hardly wishy-washy jobs, and just becuase the students there aren't the most academically gifted when in school doesn't mean they can't do their jobs well once they leave university.
Luke Roach
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot_Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by Odai Odai wrote:

Regarding people getting in with very low grades - there is a college at Cambridge (forget which) that will do matriculation offers of EE.

They used to be called "unconditional offers". Normally they were awarded to candidates who performed well at interview (I wasn't interested in any university that didn't interview), who were predicted high grades anyway. The people who you see in the Daily Mail complaining at how they've got 3 As and failed to get into Oxbridge are the ones who fail to get their clever little heads round this fact!

Quote A lot of universities called "wishy-washy" are those that are now educating the country's primary-school teachers, health-inspectors and engineers. Hardly wishy-washy jobs, and just becuase the students there aren't the most academically gifted when in school doesn't mean they can't do their jobs well once they leave university.

Some universities which used to have excellent reputations as Polys in subjects such as engineering are now existing on the droves appearing to spend 3 years on a more menial subjects.

The fact is the University system's now far too big to be sustained. Fact.
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hot_Charlie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 4:41pm

Sorry Hotty, but my daughter has just signed up with UCAS, and I'd say that's nonsense.

Not nonsense at all. Of course you can even go with non at-all, although you'll be spending a year getting up to speed first.
MartinW View Drop Down
Moderator in Command
Moderator in Command

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartinW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 7:22pm

That's a mere 40 ucas points. You may be accepted by a university for some kind of lesser degree, like a foundation degree, but I seriously doubt anything else.

As Luke said...

I know several people that got into university with these grades, but let me assure you that they had skills, awards and qualifications

So were those skills and awards and qualifications, equivalent to A-Level? Or was it a lesser degree?

you can even go with non at-all you'll be spending a year getting up to speed first.

As far as I know, and I'm no expert, you can't go to university and do a "full" degree on no qualifications at all. If you could, thousands of kids around the country wouldn't be panicking like hell, when they check their A-Level results.

As I say, I'm no expert. So I'm not going to push the point.

roachy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 7:29pm

Depends what she wants to study.

Medicine, there's no point applying if you're less than AAB including Chemistry or Biology and even then about 3/4 get rejections from each application (remember you can choose up to 4 universities though, so it doesn't necessarily mean only 1/4 of medicine applicants get to university).

For vetiranary or dentistry courses it's even harder than that!

For maths you're lucky to find any real courses less than BBB and most universities serious about teaching maths are at least AAB nowadays (mine is up at A*A*A at the moment, and that's the minimum rather than standard offer), and for physiscs or chemistry most universities ask for at least BCC, with any research intensive institutions being much higher than that.

When you're mentioning the year getting up to speed I assume you're meaning foundation degrees - these aren't for people without the necessary academic ability, otherwise they'll just fail in the second [first proper] year - they are aimed at those that had a disadvantaged education or didn't have the chance to study what was needed to get straight onto the degree course.

Luke Roach
roachy View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roachy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2010 at 7:34pm

So were those skills and awards and qualifications, equivalent to A-Level? Or was it a lesser degree?

Somebody I know got into one of the UK's top ten universities (Bristol) on 1 A-level because she'd had the necessary experience from 3 years of work in another area, as one example.

There are also my friends in drama institutes, who're there studying a degree now without any formal qualifications other than GCSE - because they went to drama-schools on scholarships when they were 16-18 but got no formal qualification from those years.
And then there are my other friends in other drama institutes who got formal qualifications that are vocational rather than academic, and they're at some of the best places in the country. Hardly a lesser degree, and they work around 50 hours a week just to get by because their course is so hard.
Luke Roach
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic