This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Announcements > News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Microsoft Flight Sim Announced

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Biggles1975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 1:25pm
I would not be suprised if this has abit of FSX about it just with a new engine. On the one side you'll have missions for gamers & on the other side a simulator for the rest of us. I stopped playing flight sim a few months ago and that was FS9 due to lack of time and the fact compeared to my other sims it was starting to look old. I'm not going to get FSX as that is already afew years old and I just don't have the money to get all the addons i'll like so i'm going to wait and see what comes next this or aerosoft. But given how much it costs to create a flight sim and now that microsoft may be bringing a new one out I can see the aerosoft one being stuck on hold for abit to see where microsoft are going with this. And if it becomes clear this is going to get released and not dropped I think aerosoft will stick to what they are doing and just carry on making add-ons. But we'll just have to wait and see.
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 5:53pm
There is a rumor circulating about the possibility of a beta release of MS Flight coming before Christmas. It's just a rumor, though, and I haven't heard if they're talking about an in-house beta or a public beta. I'm guessing in-house...with a public beta coming considerably later.

It will be interesting to see how many of the good ideas brought up on the Aerosoft forum (about a possible new Aerosoft sim) are incorporated into the new Microsoft sim. I have a feeling that in attempting to create a sim with wider appeal, Microsoft will provide a sim with things for each of us to like and, unavoidably, with things for each of us to dislike. It's just not possible to please everyone. If the new Microsoft sim is too much game/toy, the door for Aerosoft to create a new and true simulator would be wide open. I expect Microsoft knows that, though.

I guess all of us are a little concerned  that the new Microsoft sim will not be as good as we want it to be nor as good as we think it should be. I can tell you that freeware developers are concerned about the availability and cost of tools needed to develop for the new sim. What the required development tools will be and what the costs will be (if any) are still unknowns. Development of some of the new development tools is undoubtedly still ongoing.

Dan

NotYet View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotYet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 10:45am
Well I'm going back to XP eventually - FS9 (and all add-ons I want) work beautifully on XP, not Vista, not Window7, not whatever MS come up with next. I may get Flight when it's as cheap as FSX will be in a year's time, if it of course lives up to hype and reputation... if AHers say it's good, it may be on the old Wish List.
NotYet View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotYet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2010 at 10:47am
But with progress, shouldn't you strive to make it all work together? Surely if you make something like Windows 7 you'd make sure it worked with what your customers wanted and had already, like FS9, FS2002, FS2000, all the way back... it shouldn't be too hard, surely?
Person543 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Person543 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2010 at 7:20pm
There has been a lot of discussion about why it is not called flight simulator. Many people may become worried that it may not be the flight simulator we know and love or the 'fs11' we have been waiting for, but a game. I know that a large majority of flight simmers take their flying really seriously. I am only 13, but I take it just as seriously as many pros. I really hope it doesn't turn into a game. But I watched a video and the guy said it is not called 'flight simulator' because Microsoft have lost the right to call it that because the first Flight simulator was made back in the late eighties for the old apples but Microsoft purchased the rights to continue the franchise and they made the ten we know now. But now the original owner has bought back the rights or Microsoft just lost the rights so they can't call it 'flight simulator' anymore. We will just have to wait until next year. In the meantime, Happy Flying!
BANichols View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BANichols Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 12:30pm
I thought I would add my two-penneth regarding FS reminiscences.

Back in 1980 I bought a Sinclair Spectrum with 16kb of memory and loaded programs with a lead connected to a cassette player. One of the first games I used with it was a flight simulator. It was basically a row of runway lights and a horizon as the Speccy could not handle graphics very well. I 'flew' using the keyboard until I could afford a joystick and don't remember ever successfully landing it.

In 1985 I upgraded to a Commodore Amiga which had a floppy disk drive and 350kb of memory! I bought a flight simulator for that and became hooked. The simulator was not made by Microsoft and I cannot now remember who made it, but the graphics were amazing. It had spot and cockpit views and the default airport was near San Francisco. I used to fly under the Golden  Gate Bridge in the Learjet.

The graphics performance of the Amiga was impressive (something to do with their 'Blitter' chip) and it took many further upgrades through 386* systems and Windows OS, to say nothing of graphics cards, to get near it.

During this time Microsoft bought the rights for FS and I have loyally upgraded as each MS FS was released. This has been at the cost of quite drastic upgrades to my system (CPUs, motherboards, memory, etc) to keep pace.

The bottom line is, at 60 years old and with mobility problems, FS is a means of escape into an infinity of length and breadth that I cannot achieve otherwise. I shall await further announcements from their lordships at Redmond and make my decision (probably based on the price) as and when.

SamR View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer
Chargin' ma lazers!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 1:28pm
Good post Brian, you certainly have a long and impressive history with Flight Simulation!

johnep View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 6:03pm
Agreed about the escape into another world. I find FSX just that, a virtual world for me to explore and I am 76. I have very much enjoyed routes of cruises using the Grumman and landing on water. Today the Hurricane is my objective, but neither Bermuda or Charleston yielded and dramatic weather. Will try again later tonight as storm expected to make landfall around 11.30pm. Loved a real weather thunderstorm over St Lucia. By maxing environment sound, able to hear the thunder.
johnep 
Person543 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Person543 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 8:03pm
Hi guys you make a great point, I feel very much the same about it as you, except I am only 13. Most people may think that I am just a dumb kid who knows nothing about aviation. But I have spent my life growing up in aviation, I have learnt a lot from fsx in the past 6 months, from real atc patterns and autopilot functions, to how to run real startup operations on a c-130. Despite me not having mobility issues I still find fsx a great escape from the world because of my peers. I can just escape into a fantastic community of people who respect my thoughts. Most people I talk to think fsx is sad. But these people spend their time constantly on their shoot-'em-ups. I really respect your thoughts and I hope you respect mine. Thanks guys, I now know I am not alone
GEOFFERS View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEOFFERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 9:03pm
Originally posted by BY Nicholas BY Nicholas wrote:

I thought I would add my two-penneth regarding FS reminiscences.
 During this time Microsoft bought the rights for FS and I have loyally upgraded as each MS FS was released. This has been at the cost of quite drastic upgrades to my system (CPUs, motherboards, memory, etc) to keep pace.

The bottom line is, at 60 years old and with mobility problems, FS is a means of escape into an infinity of length and breadth that I cannot achieve otherwise. I shall await further announcements from their lordships at Redmond and make my decision (probably based on the price) as and when.

I am 61 years young also with mobility problems, FS is a best means of escape for me too. I still have all F/Sims from 95  up to FS X.Thumbs%20Down a good game I made up today, was to fly using both FS 2002 Big%20smile and Heart FS9 Thumbs%20Up at the same time,the same aircraft from same  airport EGBG landing on RUTLAND reservoir,I do have a system of, 2 PCs on one monitor, 1 joystick 1 keyboard Approve  just press a simple Exclamation switch ..it was good fun Clown
It's easy to make a small fortune in aviation. You start with a large fortune.

Person543 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Person543 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2010 at 9:42pm
Haha GEOFFERS sounds like fun. I really find it great that you guys enjoy flightsim and as I said in my previous post it IS one of the best ways to get away from it all.

Happy Flying!
johnsmithfsx View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnsmithfsx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Sep 2010 at 4:55am
Has Microsoft usually kept a pattern? Is there any way we can estimate/take an educated guess as to when we will get more information about it? The lack of information available is suspenseful.
concorde380 View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote concorde380 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 5:15pm
Does anyone know when its going to be released
When you need to get your cargo from one place to another...Remember Pedro's Cargo
Person543 View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Person543 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 5:21pm
Some time next year probably, Microsoft said not to expect it this year
NotYet View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotYet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by Person543 Person543 wrote:

I am only 13, but I take it just as seriously as many pros.

I agree. I am nearly 15, and am passionate about this.... it's taken a while, and I don't even mention it at school - they either think it's sad like you say (they prefer killing aliens with made-up weapons in a randomly generated land on a platform that is far more expensive and useless in respect to the Desktop) or they wouldn't understand it!

I started on FS9 (still have, and use, it) about three years ago. Took me 2 months to land on the runway succesfully, and only have recently learnt how to do full ILS. Dodgy ILS took a while to sort out, but ADE worked . Now I know most AC, and their performance... liveries, useless facts (never useless), and so on... weather, traffic patterns.. etc. etc. etc. etc. More info with this Simulator (I fear to call it a game yet) than school... and AH has given me such a wide range of knowledge about airports, and so on, that I could talk for hours!

I look forward to all progress, but as in an earlier post I am moving backwards unless Flight is our dream, or at least workable for a way around any teething issues. As with all games, I will wait at least a year to check that it works well, and customers enjoy it, and of course if you AHers enjoy it, I know I will.
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.

Imho Idrk so nvm.

ShrewsburyFC View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShrewsburyFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2010 at 8:57pm
Regarding your comment about not mentioning at school, Im just the same... I rarely ever talk about it unless im talking to people who are actually into aviation and flight sim...

Ive let a few of my friends on flight sim when there round and the first thing I think all of them did when they went on it was crashed it straight into the ground to see what it would do , they then ask questions like, can you blow the plane up, can you shoot down the other planes, its like no!!!!!!!!!! its a flight simulator not a COD game!

I reckon Microsoft flight will be a "game for every one" not just for simmers like ourselfs (just my personal opinion) but who knows... could turn out to be amazing or terrible its to early to decide...
flawlesspaul View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flawlesspaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 12:05am
Yes it is sad that "Non-Simmers" don't understand the freedom of flight the way we do, but that's why we are so special and we can say we are different than the "Average" bloke out there not understanding all the things that it takes to get an aircraft airborne, to keep it in the air and to bring it back to earth without hurting anyone or anything.
All these things came to light for me just by "Simming".. And just that minimum amount of understanding is just a very small piece that one should know before Piloting a real aircraft.
There is no joke about the whole proccess of aviation.. It should always be taken serious, even in simulation.. Otherwise it is a waiste of time and reduced to a mere gamelike status.
Before I started "Simming" I was so affraid of flying in any size aeroplane because of the strange noises and movements of differnt parts and such.
Now after a few years of learning about flying I understand alot of what is going on and why. (It makes for a more enjoyable ride for me when I'm a passenger now)Smile.
I like to think that if I had to help bring in an aircraft because of some sort of emergency that I could be talked down by ATC and succeed and save lives.
One thing I do understand is: Taking off is optional and landing is an absolute.Wink
I hope MICROSOFT preserves the educational qualities of flight sim with the pending new product coming out.. The benefits are infinite to say the least.

fpp
johnsmithfsx View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnsmithfsx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 1:03am
Luckily Flight Simulator is not the average console video game. This means that the range of consumers targeted is much more extended. With flight simulator it is possible to try to bring a gamer into the franchise while at the same time try to get simmers to purchase the product as well. There are different modes and options that people can turn on to suit their preferences. That is the only thing that Microsoft needs to do to get both simmers and gamers. Also, many enjoy the missions as well. So long as they keep adjustable options, allow for realism, allow for addons, and for Sim's sake fix the multiplayer problem they have had with Flight Simulator X, they should have a fairly decent sim that everyone can enjoy.
BANichols View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BANichols Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 3:38pm
When someone calls me a nurd and tells me I ought to get out more, I say, "But I have just carried (insert cargos) to (insert airports). A round trip of (insert distance). Where have you been?"
ShrewsburyFC View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShrewsburyFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2010 at 8:18pm
Good answer BANichols Thumbs%20Up
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
  Share Topic