This forum is in read-only mode for archive purposes, please use our new forum at https://community.justflight.com
Forum Home Forum Home > Announcements > News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Microsoft Flight Sim Announced

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transport Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 5:32pm
Thank you Martin, I've since been advised that it was the old engine with a few bells and whistles added on.

I was wondering about this new version though, and far be it for me to sound cynical here, but, it is not unlike Microsoft to release a new operating system to coincide with this release, a Windows 8 or 9 utilising DirectX 12 or 13, maybe.  As Windows XP support is being abandoned in the not too distant future, it could make commercial marketing sense to implement some fresh ideas, we can only wait and see......

Cheerz.  Transport Steve.

BullittAir View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BullittAir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Aug 2010 at 8:21pm
I know nothing more than this thread and the taster video but my two cents would be I agree with others that whilst the loyal FS fraternity is relatively small the market for a fun to fly game which doesn't have the option of shooting anyone is non existent. So surely (hopefully) this is a true simulator akin to FSX but with a new engine.

Regarding the wishlist stated near the start of the thread I don't wish that it will offer all these bells and whistles (these are best left for add-ons) but just that it's stable, reliable and offers an attainable level of performance with a reasonable complexity of visuals. Several years on from the release of FSX I have what would generally be considered a high-end machine but I still see OOM, fatal errors and find myself throttling back the graphics sliders. Infuriating.  
Alaaar View Drop Down
First Officer
First Officer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alaaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2010 at 9:35am
I have been thinking for couple of days about MS Flight, I guess MS people realized that the FS is a growing money making industry, with perhaps millions of users, they want to benefit more from the whole situation in other words control the industry where they can give their terms and conditions to any developer / user to set the market price, so guys add ons for new MSF will be in 100s of Dollars and not Tens.
The other reason is perhaps to correct their previous mistakes (as they usually do), I know that MS always suffered from weak vision in regards to future development to software on a decade time span, for example DOS versions, various operating systems, also we experience that at word and excel as well, they produce many version + service packs and expecting that all their customers will be happy spending money buying the new product which is not new it’s usually a correction for mistakes, and because FS started as a small game, every newer version based on the previous one, was having problems when expanding to a higher level, now I guess it has reached the limit, they have to come up with other system / platform that will prove in 5-10 years time it's reliable, and might as well help us with the problems we are experiencing till today.
Note: as I am not computer programmer or developer, I do appreciate MS work they change our life, I only hope they get it done with correctly now when they have the chance to do it right.
Just love to fly....
flawlesspaul View Drop Down
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flawlesspaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 4:28am
Come on guys.. We are talking about Microsoft... They won't let us down.
If the new sim includes the ability to walk through the cabins, I'm sold.
Also animated passengers, pilots in the cockpits, inside terminal action.
How about being able to walk from plane to plane and walk in to the cockpits.
Let's not be scared of the future.
I spend alot of time simming and I deserve all of this and more.
I hope that when I die I come back as a 747 Captain.
I want to know how it would feel to bring one of the big birds up and down and feel the enormouse sex rush of the power that it takes..
Whew.... I need a smoke now.Tongue
fpp
johnsmithfsx View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnsmithfsx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 4:38am
I for one am not worried. It is already guaranteed that I'll preorder it for delivery ASAP after it's released. If it was money wasted, I'll return to FSX (which I'm quite happy with). I my mind, FSX + REX + Good Scenery + Good Aircraft addons = perfect pc sim. If Microsoft adds new features, great!!! However, for certain, Microsoft needs to fix their multiplayer (they made a big mistake when using Gamespy's technology). The common thing that many don't understand is that the multiplayer problems aren't Gamespy's fault. Microsoft did not use the technology correctly with the game/made an error. What that is, I can't remember really.
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flawlesspaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 4:39am
I hope the new Microsoft Flight works on my 2 core Vista ..
Times are hard and I can't afford the new machines..
Plus People were to hard on Vista.
I have been enjoying my computer for three years with very minimum issues.
fpp
dodgy-alan View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgy-alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 2:02pm
All this talk of new and improved this that and the other seems to have forgotten one vital thing. for many of us it is just a hobby. nothing more, Yes you could spend a fotune on it and get the latest thing. Failing that why not approach one of the airlines and buy one of their old simulators ! Its just getting out of hand. Right now I,m running FS9. I have a hangar with over 500 aircraft, A huge scenery file and have lots of fun with it. Its a release from everyday chores and takes up less space than the 2,000+ model kits I have stuffed in my back room in a huge pile of boxes. I rarely spend more than a couple of hours a day on the FS as the wife usually starts complaining that she wants to use the computer !oh how I laughed  So therefore I cannot see the point of paying out thousands of pounds/dollars/rand/yen etc for what is basically a game! Ok some of you guys may spend your entire free time running FS and getting deadly serious, but hey, theres more to life than this. Unless you want to go industrial why keep changing things. I think If I was to spend any more money on this thing I'd be looking at a divorce. Thats one reason why a lot of my addons are freeeware. I used to spend a fair bit on learning to fly real aircraft. But then i was young, free, single and had a decent bank balance, Then I hit real life and the dream crashed ! Dont get me wrong, I,m all for people having fun and if you want to spend a fortune thats up to you. I come from the old school of "if it aint broke, dont fix it !" so long as my computer contues to run and the system still works then I wont be changing anything. At the end of the day its horses for courses and thats what matters. My mates think I,m a bit geeky and sad even now with this set up, god knows what theyd think if I turned my living room into a complete flight deck !!oh how I laughed Anyway, thats enough from this old carmudgeon, have fun, fly safely.
The light at the end of the tunnel is a freight train coming the other way !
NotYet View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotYet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by dodgy-alan dodgy-alan wrote:

All this talk of new and improved this that and the other seems to have forgotten one vital thing. for many of us it is just a hobby. nothing more, Yes you could spend a fotune on it and get the latest thing. Failing that why not approach one of the airlines and buy one of their old simulators ! Its just getting out of hand. Right now I,m running FS9. I have a hangar with over 500 aircraft, A huge scenery file and have lots of fun with it. Its a release from everyday chores and takes up less space than the 2,000+ model kits I have stuffed in my back room in a huge pile of boxes. I rarely spend more than a couple of hours a day on the FS as the wife usually starts complaining that she wants to use the computer !oh%20how%20I%20laughed  So therefore I cannot see the point of paying out thousands of pounds/dollars/rand/yen etc for what is basically a game! Ok some of you guys may spend your entire free time running FS and getting deadly serious, but hey, theres more to life than this. Unless you want to go industrial why keep changing things. I think If I was to spend any more money on this thing I'd be looking at a divorce. Thats one reason why a lot of my addons are freeeware. I used to spend a fair bit on learning to fly real aircraft. But then i was young, free, single and had a decent bank balance, Then I hit real life and the dream crashed ! Dont get me wrong, I,m all for people having fun and if you want to spend a fortune thats up to you. I come from the old school of "if it aint broke, dont fix it !" so long as my computer contues to run and the system still works then I wont be changing anything. At the end of the day its horses for courses and thats what matters. My mates think I,m a bit geeky and sad even now with this set up, god knows what theyd think if I turned my living room into a complete flight deck !!oh%20how%20I%20laughed Anyway, thats enough from this old carmudgeon, have fun, fly safely.

Yes indeed, FS9 can be all you need. I'm still at school, so I have the same probl;ems- not much time, no free quantity of money, and an older computer...

Vista is alright for me, but XP seems the way to go for FS9 - everything works there. CAll me a technophobe if you like, but it's best that everyone does what suits them. Those who need to stay at the front of technology must do so with Flight - you can reveiw it for us who still run FS9 and FSX.
GEOFFERS View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GEOFFERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 5:47pm
I knew there was one flight simmer who is not crazy[dodgy alan] I think FS9 is a great sim [no the best sim] I run it most of the time, I did get FS X cheap so I can see the CensoredCensoredMicrosoft did to it, FS9 may be long in the tooth but I have it on VISTA and it works just fine. AH is not for my cup of tea,hands on flying real and sim.I went to FARNBROUGHHeart every show from 1966 to 2002. the best years 1952 to 1996-8 if I can get FLIGHT cheap I will run it if it runs on VISTA.Question a lot of my programs will not run on VISTA. so I now have a S/H computer XP, it Runs FS2002 better than than FS X. now retied I could spend money getting FS X to run right it ain't worth it. my computers have to do more than be a FS game,
It's easy to make a small fortune in aviation. You start with a large fortune.

johnsmithfsx View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnsmithfsx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2010 at 9:50pm
What free time? haha. In any case, I do a variety of flying and have purchased a lot of payware addons. Too many times has this happened. I purchase a good and realistic addon and I can't get it to run smoothly even with all graphics turned down. Mostly, I just want a realistic sim and a slideshow is not realistic. Also, I rather enjoyed making videos, but have given that up until I can get FSX to look nice. Mostly, FSX has given me the opportunity to do many projects and to learn a lot about aviation. To be frank, I've got FSX to thank for my aviation knowledge that I had before even beginning to work towards my PPL. Yes, it is essentially only a game, however, in my case and in the case of many others, it doubles as a tool. All in all, the uses I, and many others put it to make it entirely constructive.
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flawlesspaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 12:30am
I totally agree with (johnnysmithfsx)..
Before I started (simming) I had no clue about the beauty of aviation.
Now after entering the world of flight and slightly understanding how it works I am addicted.
It is my drug of choice.. I have never been so liberated in my mind until learning how to properly land an aircraft.. (there is a right way of doing it)..
The first time I put a cessna on the center line I almost had an orgas#####..Well you know what I mean.
FSX is a great tool to get you ready for real lessons and even after you take real lessons it is still a great tool for practicing (ILS) (IFR) and such.
If Microsoft can enhance this experience I will be very supportive.. I just hope it is'nt too expensive.Smile
fpp
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgy-alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 10:06am
Looking at the previous notes experiences about FS being your introduction to flying shows the big gulf between your life and mine. I grew up in the town of Hounslow which is at the eastern end of Heathrow Airport. We later moved to Cranford which literally falls within Heathrows boundaries. My dad worked as a Baggage handler for BEA originally and then for Dunlop Aviation services, his job was delivering Tyres and other parts to various airports and airlines around the UK and as such my brother and I often went with him, We had access to almost all of the airports in the UK and grew up with close contact of many aeroplanes. My first flight was unusual inasmuch that dad was delivering to British Eagle Airways and was having his lunch in their canteen. We were invited to go up in one of their Britannias on a short  test flight, As you can imagine we jumped at the chance and were thrilled to bits as the Whispering Giant lifted off from Heathrow for a half hour flight !
Being so close to the airport most of our families worked there and at weekends all of us kids would spend hours on the now demolished Roof gardens above the Queens building and terminal 2. It was always packed and was a great family day out. watching all the big propliners and the Early jets coming and going. Life in the late 60s and 1970s was great and we got to see all the new stuff as it came out. We went to all the airshows, lItwas inspirational The first 747 in 1969 was a revelation and stopped the traffic whenever one appeared overhead ! Since that Britannia I flew on many occasions from various places and when I finally had enough money i started to learn to fly myself. Gliders, Microlights and fixed wing. However redundacy in the early 80s put paid to that and it was sometime before i was able to get hands on with aircraft again, I was back to spotting at various airports for a while.I then worked as a volunteer for Tony Bianchi at the Blue Max movie aircraft museum at booker airfield where I was part of the restoration team, We used to get the odd joy ride in various birds as a reward for our work
It was great fun and I was sad to leave when I moved to the coast 10 years ago.
So you can see my interest in aviaton was based around real life rather than computer simulations so I do have a completely different outlook on the situation. You can also see why I have a thing about old airliners !! Hope i havent bored you all but It was something I thought i,d share with you.
crmathie View Drop Down
Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crmathie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 11:36am
Total agree with you Alan i worked at Luton airport for almost 10 years in the 70's and 80's
putting all the booze and food on monarch and brittaina's fleet of aircraft. And loved every minute of it day or night. So flying in Fsx means more to me then just a game as i tell the wife it is real.
I all so spent a lot of my spare time watching planes land and take off.

Col.
Transport Steve View Drop Down
P/UT
P/UT

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Transport Steve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 12:01pm
Well, I used to work for British Midland (not as a pilot, though), and having this game brings back some happy personal memories for me, this simulator isn't JUST a hobby, it reminds me of the good times. I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that this game rekindles the fondness us ex-airline staff once had and will never be forgotten every time we climb into our cockpits.....

Cheerio. Transport Steve.

Chief Pilot
Chief Pilot

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dodgy-alan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2010 at 1:47pm
The FS for me is a bit of escapism, I get to virtually fly all those old planes from the past and visit places that i could never have done in real life. Its fun , its interesting, but i cant allow it to take over my life. Also I think i was spoilt some years ago when I had 2 hours on a real BA 737-200 simulator courtesy of British Airways. I was a coach driver on airport contract work and had to deliver some BA students to Cranebank for an exam or something. It was a three hour wait so the guys there allowed me to have a go on the sim. It was simply brilliant. the fact that you get a full working VC and the whole thing moves like the real thing knocks all these desk top jobs into a cocked hat !Wink  If any of you ever get the chance to have a go , do so ! you will love it. 
Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flawlesspaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 12:37am
I worked at (KSFO) in the late 1980's and early 1990's myself.. I was there in 1991 the morning that PAN AM was grounded and the 727 at the gate was fully loaded and ready to be pushed back when the orders came in that it was over. They made all the passengers dismount and return to the terminal.
Pan Am was sharing gates with Delta at the time..
It was one of the most sad days in airliner history. I almost criedCry myself because I knew how much Pan American Airways contributed to the industry... The first to dare put a behemoth 747 in service and set the standard in luxary air travel..
Such as real china dinnerware, real siverware, and glassware.. The peanuts were free and so were the refreshments. Back then Coach Class is what they call First class nowadays.
Well it was'nt long before to much of a good thing would bring the greatest airline back to earth.. Not to mention the lack of even shares of the most lucrative routes back then.
Today, the airliners treat you as if they are doing you a favor by letting you use the toilet for free.
Charging you to take luggage on your vacation..  $5.00 for a small cup of coffee in the terminal. An employee that had no regard for the safety of the ground crew when they engage the (EMERGENCY) escape ramp at the gate because he or (she) was fed up with their job.
Passengers that bring the lack of home training onboard and pilots who down a whole fifth of Crown Royal the night before an international flight.Sleepy They figure they'll catch up on their sleep during the long flight.
Everytime I lookat a 747-400 today I think of the good ol days when flying was fun and not a day of you better be lucky we allow you to sit down and treat you nice thing.
fpp
NotYet View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotYet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2010 at 12:04pm
One airline saved I think nearly $500,000 just by giving you one less olive in the pasta dish... no-one noticed... but with fuel prices how they are today... simulators are far greener that the real thing
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2010 at 8:53pm
My guess is there are at least hundreds (if not thousands) of individuals outside of Microsoft who know more about Flight than what is being discussed in public forums. The reason for the silence is the existence of non-disclosure agreements between those inficiduals and Microsoft. I will confirm, here, that I know two of those individuals. One of them has stated publicly that for reasons that should be "obvious," more cannot be revealed. I read "obvious" as meaning a non-disclosure agreement exists, and I have good reason to believe that I am correct.

Even individuals who possess more knowledge about Flight than is found in the general public have stated that they know very little. (This is obvious from reading the speculations that a couple of those "knowledgeable" individuals are making themselves). What follows are some of my own speculations.

Although FS9 and FSX will continue to be used and enjoyed for many years, running Flight will require moving past Windows XP and DirectX 9. As speculated by Transport Steve above, there is even the possibility that the release of the new cloud-based Microsoft Flight will coincide with the release of Microsoft's next operating system. If it does coincide, or if it nearly coincides, I wouldn't be surprised if there are features in the new sim that will only work with the latest version of DirectX and that the "latest" version of DirectX will be the version that comes with the next Windows operating system. More likely, though, anyone who runs Windows7 and who has the latest version of DirectX that Windows7 can run (along with a compatible graphics card), will be safe. Two things are certain: There will be no "Preview DirectX 10" mode, and there will be no ability to fall back to DirectX 9. To put it in the vernacular: "DirectX 9 is so over."

Dan

Check-In Staff
Check-In Staff

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flawlesspaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2010 at 10:53pm

So what I think I'm hearing is the new MS Flight Sim will not work on my Dual Core vista

with the invidia graphics and 3 g ram..
That would be very selfish of Micro Soft to render an operating system useless so soon.
I figure as long as I can run 99 percent of the software available out there then the new flight sim should also work on Vista.
If it does not work on Vista I will never buy another microsoft product in my life.. And I will make sure my feelings are well known when ever and where ever I'm heard.
Can you say MAC? oh how I laughed
fpp
Soaranden View Drop Down
P1
P1

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soaranden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2010 at 12:10am
Originally posted by flawlesspaul flawlesspaul wrote:

So what I think I'm hearing is the new MS Flight Sim will not work on my Dual Core vista

One of the fundamental goals of Microsoft Games is to enable broad appeal. Another fundamental goal is innovation. Doing both is a balancing act. At some point, a decision has to be made to leave some of the old behind so that the new can be implemented. It's impossible to gain--much less maintain--broad appeal if what you are doing is going to be surpassed by others who more-fully embrace innovation. Microsoft lost a lot of Windows 3.1 users when they came out with Windows 95. They also gained a few users. oh how I laughed The innovations in Windows 95 had broad appeal. Broad appeal makes money. The money comes from us. We can decide whether to buy or not, and, if we want to, we can continue to use FSX and/or FS9 even if we buy Flight.

Until more is announced, Vista users may want to wait and see how compatible Vista will be with Flight. If there are incompatibilities (or complete incompatibility) the next thing Vista users would need to do is check to see if a Flight release date and a release date for Windows 7's successor have both been announced and have release dates that are near to each other. If so, Vista users could skip Windows 7 and move directly to Windows 7's successor.

I don't think the Windows operating system version will be a problem with Flight. It's all about having a compatible version of DirectX, really. Certainly, XP is out of the picture, but XP started moving out of the picture with the release of DirectX 10. That's been quite a while ago.

Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
  Share Topic